Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
The costs of this will be added to the consumer with higher pricing down the road for new electric Hyundai's ..

Once cars are electric,you wont have the performance versions you will have compact turds for $85,000! The Tesla's etc are made to persuade people into thinking all electric cars are quick and a decent size..

What about insurance rates most Tesla's get written off with minor damage(at least to a gasoline powered car)..Not to mention road pricing!! Didnt mean to get off topic but its relevant or more so..;)

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
The costs of this will be added to the consumer with higher pricing down the road for new electric Hyundai's ..
Are you an insider at Hyundai? How are you privy to the methods they will use to absorb this cost?
Once cars are electric,you wont have the performance versions you will have compact turds for $85,000! The Tesla's etc are made to persuade people into thinking all electric cars are quick and a decent size..
Given that most all-electric cars are already faster than ICE cars, that's already proven false. Witness the Mustang Mach-E, at $43K and 0-60 in 4.8 seconds.
What about insurance rates most Tesla's get written off with minor damage(at least to a gasoline powered car)..Not to mention road pricing!! Didnt mean to get off topic but its relevant or more so..;)
What is your specific ownership experience that leads you to believe that insurance costs will be higher with an electric car?

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

Nope, it will be absorbed by the company in lost profits. Nobody sells something for more than people will pay for it.

Reactions: DC-93 and serpens

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hmm, millions of recalls for engine problems and car fires, now the battery recall......
But , but, but Hyundai is so great according to some on here????
I know the auto auctioneers hate them with a passion since they just sit and sit and sit without being bid on, it's rather comical hearing people quoting Xio (formerly JD Power) about how great they are. Don't believe your lying eyes, China's publications are so trustworthy lmao !

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Well that's just blatantly false. Automakers are on the move launching performance and economy versions of EV right now. Even Mercedes' AMG arm has mentioned they'll be getting into BEVs. You're going to see the same market stratification as right now with ICE vehicles from that standpoint. People love going fast.

LG is just winning lately. First the SK battery situation, and now Hyundai is gonna be paying them another billion for new batteries....
Thankfully, I like their products too haha
From the article it doesn't seem entirely clear LG will get off scot free, but we'll see how this ends:

"Hyundai said it is still in talks with battery supplier LG Energy Solutions to determine which company will be responsible for the cost. The Korean Transport ministry seemed to blame LG for the fire problems in its statement on the recall, attributing them to a misaligned battery cell.

But LG's statement, which said it will cooperate with the Korean Transport Ministry's ongoing investigation, denied that was the reason for the fires.

"The fire was not recreated in the lab test, and the issue was an early mass production problem in Hyundai Motors dedicated line," said LG's statement. The company said it "will further strengthen safety in all processes from product plan to manufacture and inspection."

Hmm, millions of recalls for engine problems and car fires, now the battery recall......
But , but, but Hyundai is so great according to some on here????
I know the auto auctioneers hate them with a passion since they just sit and sit and sit without being bid on, it's rather comical hearing people quoting Xio (formerly JD Power) about how great they are. Don't believe your lying eyes, China's publications are so trustworthy lmao !
Every car maker has had a litany of recalls over the last decade. Honda, Ford, FCA, you name it. The long-ranging rod bearing problem they had was certainly a black mark but they have been addressed and was limited the Theta engines from 2015-2017. It's not like it was pervasive across every model and engine. Overall, I'm not downplaying the huge recent recalls but it's a bigger picture argument about where they stand in the market. And remember- in the U.S., this effected 6700 vehicles. The headliner is the price not the amount of cars.

The reason Hyundai/Kia is so great right now because is their overall reliability is great (not perfect) and their entries are class competitive in every class in which they compete. I don't understand what's so hard to understand about that. Your posts come off as jealousy that FCA can't say the same.

And why mention bring JD Power's China connection into this? Why would China be helping South Koreans?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks you'll have a front motor version with a small battery pack for economy and a big battery pack for slightly more expense with range, or a dual motor version with varying degrees of batteries for performance? I feel like you'll see a similar range of models like you see today. I wonder what is gonna happen with styling. How will aero change in the styling of cars.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
The vast majority of folks could care less about speed.
They want a dependable vehicle to get them from A to B.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The difference between Hyundai/Kia and FCA was that they learned from their mistakes, and have kept focused on an upward trajectory for decades now. Chrysler/Fiat/FCA, not so much...
Hopefully,the merger will begin to address these endemic issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Every car maker has had a litany of recalls over the last decade. Honda, Ford, FCA, you name it. The long-ranging rod bearing problem they had was certainly a black mark but they have been addressed and was limited the Theta engines from 2015-2017. It's not like it was pervasive across every model and engine. Overall, I'm not downplaying the huge recent recalls but it's a bigger picture argument about where they stand in the market. And remember- in the U.S., this effected 6700 vehicles. The headliner is the price not the amount of cars."

The battery recall is one of many, just the latest. The cars bursting into flames (for reasons Hyundai hasn't completely figured out yet) was conveniently left out of your reply which is now in the millions of recalls, right? Oh and the rod bearing issue is definetely still an ongoing issue, now Hyundai is trying to ignore and reject warranty claims per owners of the vehicles.

"The reason Hyundai/Kia is so great right now because is their overall reliability is great (not perfect) and their entries are class competitive in every class in which they compete. I don't understand what's so hard to understand about that. Your posts come off as jealousy that FCA can't say the same."

Great ???? LMAO, go to any auto auction in the United States and you'll see row after row of greatness sitting there for months on end.

And why mention bring JD Power's China connection into this? Why would China be helping South Koreans?

Because China is so trustworthy you can definitely count on them to be straight shooters, no way they would be detrimental to US companies. By the way, when did I suggest Stellantis was great? A lot of assumptions there Mr.

Next....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The battery recall is one of many, just the latest. The cars bursting into flames (for reasons Hyundai hasn't completely figured out yet) was conveniently left out of your reply which is now in the millions of recalls, right? Oh and the rod bearing issue is definetely still an ongoing issue, now Hyundai is trying to ignore and reject warranty claims per owners of the vehicles.
I've seen nothing to suggest Hyundai hasn't figured out the fire issue. Those that are seeing warranty rejections for their engines are struggling to produce sufficient maintenance records and/or failed to have KSDS installed for free at the dealer. It's messy- many of the cars effected by this recall are reaching 10 years old at this point and have gone through multiple owners.

Great ???? LMAO, go to any auto auction in the United States and you'll see row after row of greatness sitting there for months on end.
Meanwhile Hyundai/Kia's resale value has risen over the last decade, and that's grounded in data. So you can LMAO through the city and countryside but they're succeeding on that front [for now] too.

Because China is so trustworthy you can definitely count on them to be straight shooters, no way they would be detrimental to US companies. By the way, when did I suggest Stellantis was great? A lot of assumptions there Mr.

Next....
Yes, next: your theory aside, how do you explain that USA-based Consumer Reports has largely come to the same conclusion? They also have rated Hyundai/Kia highly in places Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep have floundered.

Despite my posts sounding like some H/K lovefest, I do actually believe H/K has areas they need to improve in. The engine problems from the past should not be overlooked and some of their current efforts are competitive, but certainly not best in class. They also use crappy plastics in some of their cars and they are just now overcoming a reputation of having engines with high power numbers that underdeliver on the road. I'm not, however, going to sit here and act like H/K leads the industry in recalls or is getting helped along by false reports from JD Power because that's just not true.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've seen nothing to suggest Hyundai hasn't figured out the fire issue. Those that are seeing warranty rejections for their engines are struggling to produce sufficient maintenance records and/or failed to have KSDS installed for free at the dealer. It's messy- many of the cars effected by this recall are reaching 10 years old at this point and have gone through multiple owners.

Meanwhile Hyundai/Kia's resale value has risen over the last decade, and that's grounded in data. So you can LMAO through the city and countryside but they're succeeding on that front [for now] too.

Yes, next: your theory aside, how do you explain that USA-based Consumer Reports has largely come to the same conclusion? They also have rated Hyundai/Kia highly in places Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep have floundered.

Despite my posts sounding like some H/K lovefest, I do actually believe H/K has areas they need to improve in. The engine problems from the past should not be overlooked and some of their current efforts are competitive, but certainly not best in class. They also use crappy plastics in some of their cars and they are just now overcoming a reputation of having engines with high power numbers that underdeliver on the road. I'm not, however, going to sit here and act like H/K leads the industry in recalls or is getting helped along by false reports from JD Power because that's just not true.

Sir, you guys keep insinuating these publications are the absolute truth. I personally disagree. Me, I trust what my eyes are telling me, what sits forever at the auctions, what body shops report, statistics on deaths per vehicle, etc... As a conservative I feel your opinions are yours to have and I respect that but as a CNC repairman metal matters to me. Mopar has tons of ticky tacky bean counter related issues BUT as long as they lead the industry in the use of high strength steel (sans Daimler) I will continue to look at their products first as replacing a flimsy poorly designed pentastar oil filter housing is still easier than cutting out the A36 and replacing with 4340/8620. Hopefully Mopar finally gets their crap together and reaches their full potential sometime in my lifetime. Good day.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Oh, 'bout forgot this link to the definite ongoing fire issues;

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Sir, you guys keep insinuating these publications are the absolute truth. I personally disagree. Me, I trust what my eyes are telling me, what sits forever at the auctions, what body shops report, statistics on deaths per vehicle, etc... As a conservative I feel your opinions are yours to have and I respect that but as a CNC repairman metal matters to me. Mopar has tons of ticky tacky bean counter related issues BUT as long as they lead the industry in the use of high strength steel (sans Daimler) I will continue to look at their products first as replacing a flimsy poorly designed pentastar oil filter housing is still easier than cutting out the A36 and replacing with 4340/8620. Hopefully Mopar finally gets their crap together and reaches their full potential sometime in my lifetime. Good day.
I look at data to tell the truth, not anecdotal evidence. A lot of this comes from publications and that isn't linked to my political views. I find it odd you've focused solely on Hyundai/Kia's recalls as if FCA hasn't issued a litany of recalls themselves.

Further, I also look at deaths per vehicle. According to the IIHS most recent results, it's actually truly hard to draw a conclusion on what's driving the data as its presented. The Korean entries essentially bookend any entries from FCA, with some models having more deaths and others in different trim variations (2wd vs. 4wd) having less.

Lastly, I find it interesting you brought up AHSS in particular. Hyundai/Kia the only automaker with an integrated steel works. Their high use of advanced high strength steel is key to their price advantage and central to their car development. The latest Sante Fe is 68% high strength steel. Thoughts on that? Where does FCA stack up to that? I'm genuinely, not being sarcastic, curious on your perspective.

Oh, 'bout forgot this link to the definite ongoing fire issues;

Fair, I didn't see this. I was looking for Theta II-related recalls, which they had addressed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I look at data to tell the truth, not anecdotal evidence. A lot of this comes from publications and that isn't linked to my political views. I find it odd you've focused solely on Hyundai/Kia's recalls as if FCA hasn't issued a litany of recalls themselves.

Further, I also look at deaths per vehicle. According to the IIHS most recent results, it's actually truly hard to draw a conclusion on what's driving the data as its presented. The Korean entries essentially bookend any entries from FCA, with some models having more deaths and others in different trim variations (2wd vs. 4wd) having less.

Lastly, I find it interesting you brought up AHSS in particular. Hyundai/Kia the only automaker with an integrated steel works. Their high use of advanced high strength steel is key to their price advantage and central to their car development. The latest Sante Fe is 68% high strength steel. Thoughts on that? Where does FCA stack up to that? I'm genuinely, not being sarcastic, curious on your perspective.

Fair, I didn't see this. I was looking for Theta II-related recalls, which they had addressed.
So when dealing with NASA, Battelle, American Showa, Abbott labs, etc. they require certified material (steel, ss, aluminum, etc...) at the very top of the requirements is absolutely no Chinese/ Asian/ impure metal products. I would be curious to see where they source their materials because you pay a premium for good metal. I'm actually glad Kia is doing this as their is no substitution for steel. What does " advanced" high strength steel mean ? Every steel has certain ingredients and levels of purity to fit a specific purpose. I mean truthfully you could call cheap old 1018 high strentgth steel if you're comparing it to hot rolled or pot metal.
Also, I forgot to answer a question you had presented earlier. Something along the lines of why would China help a Korean company I think. Simple, Trump wisely cut off the supply to China of computer chips and LG and Samsung were providing them. Obviously a pretty big deal for many reasons.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
So when dealing with NASA, Battelle, American Showa, Abbott labs, etc. they require certified material (steel, ss, aluminum, etc...) at the very top of the requirements is absolutely no Chinese/ Asian/ impure metal products. I would be curious to see where they source their materials because you pay a premium for good metal. I'm actually glad Kia is doing this as their is no substitution for steel. What does " advanced" high strength steel mean ? Every steel has certain ingredients and levels of purity to fit a specific purpose. I mean truthfully you could call cheap old 1018 high strentgth steel if you're comparing it to hot rolled or pot metal.
Also, I forgot to answer a question you had presented earlier. Something along the lines of why would China help a Korean company I think. Simple, Trump wisely cut off the supply to China of computer chips and LG and Samsung were providing them. Obviously a pretty big deal for many reasons.
Could you please elaborate on this vague claim? I have worked with the electronics supply chain for over 36 years, and what you have phrased is very misleading at best, false at worst.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts