Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I have looked and looked, and can't find a hose assembly for my 88 Dodge Caravan.

I decided last weekend to try and get the A/C going. The r12 had leaked out a long time ago. So I bought a new filter/dryer, and a r134a conversion kit. Pulled a vacuum on it and installed the conversion gas/oil. Everything went well, and it was cooling good the first day. I noticed a couple of days later it wasn't cooling as well. I lifted the hood to take a look, and the large suction hose going to the compressor has large oil spots where oil is oozing through the hose. I need a new hose assembly.

I looked all over the web, and all they seem to sell is the assembly for the 3.0 v6. I could probably do a better search if I knew the part number of the assembly i was looking for, but I went to the 4 seasons site(one of the aftermarket vendors for these assemblies) they do not even make an assembly for the 2.5 in 1988.

Has anyone run into this problem? There doesn't seem to be many of these old vans left except the turbo vans that people like to play with. I didn't know if someone has tried to make the v6 assembly fit. I tried to look at some pictures of the compressor locations, but can't make out if it could be made to work.
 

·
KOG
Joined
·
6,994 Posts
Look for a local hose shop. Truck parts stores, industrial parts distributors or hydraulic hose shops often can do A/C lines using your existing fittings.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,346 Posts
I show a suction hose part # of 3849782 for the single A/C system (no rear). It does not discern between 4 or 6 cylinder applications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,042 Posts
Advance Auto Parts shows they carry the suction line for $93.69. Their part # is T55591. No luck finding the discharge line, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,828 Posts
You need to get hoses rated for R134a. The molecules are different sizes and the tolerances that would hold the larger R12 molecules in don't hold the smaller R134a molecules and they seep out. Take a look and see if you can find any Gen II minivans in your local junkyard (1991-1995) with the 2.5. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the hoses for a later van would fit yours. The changes to the vans were more evolutionary than anything (aside from styling) from Gen I to Gen II from what I understand. The Nippondenso compressor that you probably have (10PA17, may have a suffix, i.e. A,B,C) was extremely common on the K-based cars, so something from, say, a '94 AA or AP, which are still pretty common, might work, and would be already set up for R134a.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chuzz said:
Advance Auto Parts shows they carry the suction line for $93.69. Their part # is T55591. No luck finding the discharge line, though.
That line won't work on mine. I have both the small and large suction lines made together into a block fitting that bolts to the "H" valve mounted on the firewall. I am going to have to get both the suction line and the discharge line as an assembly.
B10alia said:
You need to get hoses rated for R134a. The molecules are different sizes and the tolerances that would hold the larger R12 molecules in don't hold the smaller R134a molecules and they seep out. Take a look and see if you can find any Gen II minivans in your local junkyard (1991-1995) with the 2.5. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the hoses for a later van would fit yours. The changes to the vans were more evolutionary than anything (aside from styling) from Gen I to Gen II from what I understand. The Nippondenso compressor that you probably have (10PA17, may have a suffix, i.e. A,B,C) was extremely common on the K-based cars, so something from, say, a '94 AA or AP, which are still pretty common, might work, and would be already set up for R134a.
That's why when I was looking on ebay and different places, I thought "I am not going to want a NOS replacement that has been laying on the shelf, it mght not be the barrier type hose". I believe this hose is just bad. I have never had a problem like this with a r134a conversion. It's true what you said about the molecules, but it's well known that after a hose has been exposed to r12 and it's oil for a long period, the hoses become "seasoned" and USUALLY do not leak the r134a through. Either my hose is bad, or that theory didn't work this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ImperialCrown said:
I show a suction hose part # of 3849782 for the single A/C system (no rear). It does not discern between 4 or 6 cylinder applications.
I am googling that number and nothing is coming up. My system has no rear A/C so that should be correct. We all know how the aftermarket parts people try to make "one size fits all" to keep less parts on the shelf, and sometimes it's "supposed" to fit, and we have all been there when it "barely" fits. They all show a 6 cyl application, no 2.5.

KOG said:
Look for a local hose shop. Truck parts stores, industrial parts distributors or hydraulic hose shops often can do A/C lines using your existing fittings.
I asked a local garage and they gave me a place that is supposed to be able to make up hoses. I am going to check and see if they can do it and how much it would cost. I don't know if they can deal with those block type fittings or not. I was thinking if there was a way, I could possibly silver solder a standard fitting somehow on the short metal lines on the block, and then use a universal type hose. Maybe that's what the garage is going to do, I don't know.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,346 Posts
The dual lines were part # 4462745 - no Google hits either.
The discharge line # 4462149 looks like both hoses together and got an e-bay hit:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/87-88-Grand-Caravan-Voyager-A-C-Suction-Liquid-Line-NOS-4462149-/370671337531

I agree that the old refrigerant hoses may not be very reliable with R-134a and may need to be updated with new hose. If you can save the hose ends, a length of generic R-134a compatible refrigerant hose could be cut and clamped to the ends.
The Chrysler TSB # 24-01-95A for converting R-12 systems to R-134a (the right way to do it) would be incredibly expensive to do as it asks to replace many major components.
"Hybrid" refrigerants and oils that claim to be safe with either system may actually damage some components and introduce leaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ImperialCrown said:
The dual lines were part # 4462745 - no Google hits either.
The discharge line # 4462149 looks like both hoses together and got an e-bay hit:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/87-88-Grand-Caravan-Voyager-A-C-Suction-Liquid-Line-NOS-4462149-/370671337531

I agree that the old refrigerant hoses may not be very reliable with R-134a and may need to be updated with new hose. If you can save the hose ends, a length of generic R-134a compatible refrigerant hose could be cut and clamped to the ends.
The Chrysler TSB # 24-01-95A for converting R-12 systems to R-134a (the right way to do it) would be incredibly expensive to do as it asks to replace many major components.
"Hybrid" refrigerants and oils that claim to be safe with either system may actually damage some components and introduce leaks.
Thanks for that ebay link. I need to do some more research. It's funny that they list that one as fitting the v6 also. I am now wondering if the v6 listed hoses really would fit the 4cyl afterall. I would never buy that NOS one for r134a, but I am hoping if the aftermarket v6 hose does fit, that they are using the better barrier type hose when they are making them.

P.S. I just looked up the v6 hose at Autozone, and they do say it is the barrier type for r12 or r134a.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Well I explored many different options on getting this hose replaced. I happened to go back to Rockauto's site after looking previously, and they had a new closeout deal on the v6 hose assembly for only $15.00. I could not pass this deal up and decided to take the risk, even though shipping was another $15.00. Before I bought it I called the manufacturer and RockAuto, and no one could tell me if this hose I was buying was good for r134a either. But I bought it.

Went to put it on, it's definitely different. It's longer, and when it's installed on the compressor, it points the hose straight up so it will hit the hood when you try to close it. The smaller high pressure hose fits perfectly, I suppose the H valve and the drier are in the exact same places on the v6 and the 4 cyl.

What i did was carefully put the metal piece at the compressor in a shop press I have, and was able to straighten out the bend in the metal line to make it fit a little better. It didn't kink or flatten the line thankfully. It did point the line to the pass side, and it made the line interfere with the jack and the jack handle. I took them out and stored them in the back, and all is well, the line fits ok.

With the new line, new drier, and new H valve, I am driving a old van with the windows up in the summer. It works pretty well, and of course it drags the engine down some but not too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,042 Posts
Glad to hear you're traveling cool and sorry to hear you had such a rough time. Moving the jack and handle was no big deal. At least this way you know they're not being exposed to any rust causing agents!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top