Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry, the actual article is pay/member-walled.. here's the screenshot I was able to grab before the pop-up locked me out..
Screenshot_2020-11-24-15-00-45.png

Merger of equals.. uuugghhh

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,941 Posts
Of course. The Chrysler side is always the red-headed stepchild. Why would now be any different?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Buying Ram and Jeep, golden parachute for the upper echelon - I just hope they offer Dodge and Chrysler up for sale rather than just shut them down. Brand equity heading into this EV new age will be king, you can start anew, but traditional designs will have their place. Even Plymouth may be bought and resurrected, Cudas, Roadrunners, GTX's, Dusters in high HP EV retro body packages. Versus Xmotors from China? I think Plymouth/Dodge would do pretty well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
sorry, the actual article is pay/member-walled.. here's the screenshot I was able to grab before the pop-up locked me out..
View attachment 72873

Merger of equals.. uuugghhh
Not equals, PSA merged into FCA.

Some official stuff for you:

2.BACKGROUND TO THE MERGER AND REASONS TO MERGE

2.1.Background

On December 17, 2019, PSA and FCA entered into a combination agreement, which was subsequently amended on September 14, 2020 (as amended, the “Combination Agreement”), to effect a strategic combination of their businesses.

It is intended that the combination will be achieved by means of a cross-border legal merger pursuant to the provisions of the Directive 2017/1132/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of June 14, 2017 relating to certain aspects of company law transposed into Dutch law in Part 7, Sections 2, 3 and 3A of Book 2 of the Dutch Civil Code and into French law under articles L. 236-25 et seq. and R. 236-13 et seq. of the French Commercial (the “Merger”).

PSA and FCA entered into the common draft terms of the cross-border merger (the “Cross-Border Merger Terms”) pursuant to which as at the effective time of the Merger, (i) PSA will be merged with and into FCA and will cease to exist as a stand-alone entity, while (ii) by operation of law, FCA, as the surviving entity, will acquire all assets and assume all liabilities, rights, obligations and other legal relationships of PSA.

more on this link

On the day immediately following completion of the Merger, FCA will be renamed Stellantis N.V. (“Stellantis”).

·
Administrator
35,572 Posts
The corporate structure is as you say - FCA is absorbing PSA. The leader will then be PSA’s leader. I think they are trying to make it pretty equal. They were smart to make a new name that doesn't use the old names. I know Stellantis is not the most beloved name here, and I agree there have been better, but... I think it’s safe to say that DaimlerChrysler might have worked better had they chosen a neutral third name. At least then nobody could look at the name a proof that Chrysler came last.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The corporate structure is as you say - FCA is absorbing PSA. The leader will then be PSA’s leader. I think they are trying to make it pretty equal. They were smart to make a new name that doesn't use the old names. I know Stellantis is not the most beloved name here, and I agree there have been better, but... I think it’s safe to say that DaimlerChrysler might have worked better had they chosen a neutral third name. At least then nobody could look at the name a proof that Chrysler came last.
The leader is... John Elkann.

·
Administrator
35,572 Posts
Stellantis has it's work cut out for it.

American's were burnt by the last merger of equals.

Money will have to be invested on product and plants.
And where does that money come from? Well, I guess some of it comes from PSA giving up their gasoline and diesel engine programs...

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
The leader is... John Elkann.
I think John hopes that Tavares comes close to what he saw in Sergio... Does he speak Italian?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not equals, PSA merged into FCA.

Some official stuff for you:

2.BACKGROUND TO THE MERGER AND REASONS TO MERGE

2.1.Background

On December 17, 2019, PSA and FCA entered into a combination agreement, which was subsequently amended on September 14, 2020 (as amended, the “Combination Agreement”), to effect a strategic combination of their businesses.

It is intended that the combination will be achieved by means of a cross-border legal merger pursuant to the provisions of the Directive 2017/1132/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of June 14, 2017 relating to certain aspects of company law transposed into Dutch law in Part 7, Sections 2, 3 and 3A of Book 2 of the Dutch Civil Code and into French law under articles L. 236-25 et seq. and R. 236-13 et seq. of the French Commercial (the “Merger”).

PSA and FCA entered into the common draft terms of the cross-border merger (the “Cross-Border Merger Terms”) pursuant to which as at the effective time of the Merger, (i) PSA will be merged with and into FCA and will cease to exist as a stand-alone entity, while (ii) by operation of law, FCA, as the surviving entity, will acquire all assets and assume all liabilities, rights, obligations and other legal relationships of PSA.

more on this link

On the day immediately following completion of the Merger, FCA will be renamed Stellantis N.V. (“Stellantis”).
They pretty much had to do it that way if they wanted Exor, Peugeot, France and Dongfeng to get double voting rights after 3 years, since PSA is a French company and the merged company had to be Dutch to make that happen. "FCA is a public limited liability company (naamloze vennootschap), incorporated under the laws of the Netherlands, with corporate seat in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and address at 25 St. James’s Street, SW1A 1HA, London, United Kingdom, registered with the Dutch trade register under number: 60372958." It's a legal technicality, it doesn't mean it isn't a merger of equals, then again it doesn't mean it is.

·
Registered
506 Posts
And where does that money come from? Well, I guess some of it comes from PSA giving up their gasoline and diesel engine programs...
They don't need money for platform development that has already been done. Most of the federalization has even been done. It looks like they are going to have to modify them for Fiat engines and whatever transmission is chosen. Although in the short term they could probably get away with merely retuning the 408, 508 L and DS9 with the Prince engine (likewise 4008, 5008 and DS7 crossovers). They just have to change the exterior parts in front of the front fenders and behind the rear fenders. They can hit 60% of the US market with those two platforms.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Stellantis(n); my opinion of that name's NSFW.

·
Jeepaholic
5,651 Posts
I think John hopes that Tavares comes close to what he saw in Sergio... Does he speak Italian?
More importantly...does he like sweaters? :D

(PS, I think the new format sucks...)

1 - 20 of 138 Posts