Allpar Forums banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Well this car is going to keep me busy, so in Oct I went through 3 voltage regulators before I got a working one, now it's acting up again, but this time it's undercharging. With no accessories on I am getting about 12.5-13v with a high rev, you add the headlight and heater, drops to about 11.8-12v so now my battery was a bit weak.

Now on the hunt for a replacement regulator.....

Reactions: AceHanlon

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
831 Posts
Well this car is going to keep me busy, so in Oct I went through 3 voltage regulators before I got a working one, now it's acting up again, but this time it's undercharging. With no accessories on I am getting about 12.5-13v with a high rev, you add the headlight and heater, drops to about 11.8-12v so now my battery was a bit weak.

Now on the hunt for a replacement regulator.....
Don't they make brand new ones?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Don't they make brand new ones?
Yes they do, but they are junk apparently. The 3 and now 4th one is bad....I have an original one from my old New Yorker that is still good going to my dad's later to pick it up.

Reactions: AceHanlon

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
831 Posts
Yes they do, but they are junk apparently. The 3 and now 4th one is bad....I have an original one from my old New Yorker that is still good going to my dad's later to pick it up.
You would think they could make such a simple item to work properly. I would bite the bullet and buy a new one though. Highest quality one.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Where are you getting those voltage regulators? Please don't tell me at Autozone. Their electrical parts suck. If you can't get an OEM Mopar at a dealership, I'd suggest trying NAPA.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Where are you getting those voltage regulators? Please don't tell me at Autozone. Their electrical parts suck. If you can't get an OEM Mopar at a dealership, I'd suggest trying NAPA.
I have done, NAPA, Amazon, eBay, O'Reilly, RockAuto. They all fail within a few months or they are bad out of the box. Parts are just pain junk these days.

Also I have done the mechanical and electronic versions.

I did some digging and I found a USA based company that specializes in electrical parts for charging systems(Regitar USA) and they seem to have good reviews. So I am waiting on that one to arrive as well, in the meantime the 50+ yr old regulator is working great. Stuff is just not made like it used to be.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
If the original works, why are you replacing it? Is it just for aesthetics? If so, will the top off one of the crappy ones interchange with the old one? That way you'd have a new looking one on the one that actually works.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
If the original works, why are you replacing it? Is it just for aesthetics? If so, will the top off one of the crappy ones interchange with the old one? That way you'd have a new looking one on the one that actually works.
I should have clarified, the original one took a dump last year and I have been fighting to find a good one. My dad had one that was on my 64 New Yorker and it works so that is what I am using, but as with anything that old I know its time is limited.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Quick question, so my Valiant has been doing pretty good with charging as long as I don't have any accessories on. With no accessories on I am getting about 14.5-14.9V if I run the heater and headlights, getting about 12.7-13.1V.

Is that acceptable charging levels with accessories on?

121 - 129 of 129 Posts