Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until now, I thought the 3.5 used in the 300M was one of the best modern Chrysler engines going. For the last couple of weeks, my 200 limited has made me come to appreciate what the 3.6 is all about. The MPG is of course greatly appreciated, but the smoothness and power are just impressive. Even the exhaust note sounds just "right".

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Well, the "exhaust note" is missing in my brand new Wrangler, but, yes,...smooth, powerful and impressive.
My first tank was at 23.9 mpg, including, two runs up from sea level to over 8,000 ft., so yes, Im impressed.

·
10,402 Posts
Agree. I went from a 2009 JKU Rubicon with the 3.8L minivan engine to a 2012 JKU Rubicon with the new Pentastar 3.6L: it is night and day. The Pentastar is butter-smooth, eager, refined, powerful and fuel efficient.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is amazing MPG from a Wrangler! I remember when the 4 cyl was the standard it seemed like 20 MPG was considered pretty good.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JA Cumbo said:
That is amazing MPG from a Wrangler! I remember when the 4 cyl was the standard it seemed like 20 MPG was considered pretty good.
A lot of folks that were first time Jeepers, who wanted fuel economy, were fooled into getting the 4 banger. It was underpowered, and displayed incredibly poor fuel economy when worked.
The real test for me will be when I go from the stock 3.73 gears and 32" tires, to my 5.38 gears and 37" tires. If the Pentastar maintains an 18 mpg combined average, I will be very happy. The 3.8 was approx. 14 and no power.

·
10,402 Posts
MoparNorm said:
The real test for me will be when I go from the stock 3.73 gears and 32" tires, to my 5.38 gears and 37" tires. If the Pentastar maintains an 18 mpg combined average, I will be very happy. The 3.8 was approx. 14 and no power.
My mods are less extreme than yours, but by the time I added those 35" tires and almost 1,000 lbs in steel bumpers, winch, spare tire carrier, miscellaneous body armor, skip plates and suspension parts (I transferred all my mods from my old JKUR to my new one), my 2012 still averages 2 mpg over my 2009, and have more power to boot

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
The 3.5 is one of the great engines IMHO, but time has moved on a bit. It's been 13 years since Chrysler put one into our 300M!
I would have to agree, the 3.5 has charm to it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I loved my 3.5L and I love my 3.6L it seems like a biological child of the 3.5L its quicker smoother and quieter but has the same awesomeness.
Mick

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DaveAdmin said:
The 3.5 is one of the great engines IMHO, but time has moved on a bit. It's been 13 years since Chrysler put one into our 300M!
Keep in mind I had my 300M for 9 years and I also don't get out much. :)

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Dr. Z said:
Yup. The 3.5 had a certain oomph of instant gratification but the 3.6 is stunning in its ability to maintain 80 mph while ticking over at 1,500 rpm with the eight speed.
It's pretty close in the vans too.

The vans get a pretty decent note on them too.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Dr. Z said:
Yup. The 3.5 had a certain oomph of instant gratification but the 3.6 is stunning in its ability to maintain 80 mph while ticking over at 1,500 rpm with the eight speed.
74 actually, which is what the CHP Officer said as she gave me a warning... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts