Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was working nearly perfectly one day, I got busy and couldn't drive it for a few days and when I got back to it, it acted like there was absolutely no oil pressure. It was loud and the oil light came on and didn't go off until the car was turned off. I've replaced the oil pump with a brand new one and did the same to the filter. It has a brand-new pump, filter, and its full of brand new oil. The problem did not get better at all, but I checked the filter after testing the car and it had oil in it so I know the oil is pumping at least that far. My grandfather, who is rather knowledgeable about older cars, and I are both completely stumped any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,915 Posts
What was the condition of the oil before you changed it - color, smell, debris?
Did you connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge to get an actual pressure reading?
Are any seals leaking oil?
Is the temperature gauge reading normal?
Try turning the crankshaft by hand (with a 1/2 inch drive ratchet) slowly and listen for noise, and feel for any undue friction. It should require a momentary effort on the compression stroke of each piston, then turn easily. Or remove the spark plugs and it should turn easily by hand throughout the rotation, silently.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was the condition of the oil before you changed it - color, smell, debris?
Are any seals leaking oil?
The oil we pulled out wasn't very old. Just a few months. It was smooth, nothing out of the ordinary. There's no leak of any sort

·
Registered
950 Posts
Two thoughts - not sure if a '92 has a distributor - if you can pull it off and spin the oil pump with a priming tool to see how far oil pressure goes.
Or try pulling the pressure sensor and see if you get flow to that point at cranking speed (ie only crank it - maybe remove plugs to increase crank speed - don't start)
Also I recall that (some of?) those motors had a filter spin on adaptor with a built in anti-drain back valve built into it - could that be clogged up and blocking flow? I removed it from my 2,2 with something Direct Connection used to sell as an "oil unrestrictor".

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,977 Posts
I wouldn't run the engine if it is noisy. The oil pressure issue seems real.
Yes, remove the distributor cap to see which o'clock the rotor is pointing.
The distributor shaft is meshed into the oil pump shaft. See if the oil pump shaft turns.
A discussion: Distributor not rotating

Look for damage or shearing of where the shafts mate if something seized. The gear is part of the oil pump shaft and may not spin. You may have to drop the pan.
The image below would be at TDC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts