Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bothered to look at my 87 W150's VIN and every damn decoder I find doesn't match with my VIN and I'm starting to worry someone along the line took a VIN from something else and put it on my Truck. If anyone knows a good decoder or can "translate" it themselves I would appreciate the hell out of it.

My VIN is: 1B7HW14T4HS477171

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
What particular information are you seeing that makes you question that you have a valid VIN on your truck? Go to this site and enter the VIN presented.

Check Any VIN Free | Free VIN Check | Free VIN Decoder

This decoder indicates 1987 W150 , 4WD, standard cab (not extended), short bed equipped with 5.2 liter V8, carbureted. Assembly plant Warren Michigan which was the only facility building Dodge trucks in that era.

First position character "1" indicates assembly plant country of origin. United States assembly plants are coded 1, 4, or 5.

Second position character "B" indicates manufacturer; B is for Dodge.

Position 8 character "T" indicates engine code; T is for 5.2 liter V8 carbureted.

Position 10 character "H" indicates model year; H is for year 1987.

Position 11 character "S" indicates manufacturer unique code for all its assembly plants. S is for Warren truck assembly.

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Does the stamped VIN on the dash match the stamped VIN on the underhood body code plate? Are they still fastened with rivets and not screws?
Is the drivers door info label with the VIN still readable?
I have seen dashes swapped out with the VIN plate still from the donor vehicle attached. There may be no documented vehicle history. A lot could have happened to a 30 year-old truck.
What specifically doesn't match? Are you having difficulty registering it?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,808 Posts
The link Allan posted isn't working for me. I even tried my own vehicle's VIN's.

I did try Carfax and it did indicate the following:

1987 DODGE W-150

It also indicated there are 30 history records but you have to pay $$ to get the complete report.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The link I posted for "check any VIN free . . ." was accessible on Sunday evening but is not responding today. It says "vehicle with this VIN not found". I know I am entering a valid VIN so something is amiss on this site.

Here is a link to a table that Allpar explains VIN coding used on Chrysler Corp vehicles over the years.

Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth VIN Decoder 1959-2005

Scroll about half way through the site and you will find instructions for 1981 - 2009 vehicles. I believe many of these online VIN decoders are lacking in thorough logic and do not interpret the specific position codes correctly. Also manufacturers change codes through the years and the same code has different meanings for different model years.

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
Be careful. Some of these VIN decoders may be actually harvesting VINs for future fraud.

Reactions: BlackSheep01

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no harm done entering your car's serial number on a VIN lookup as the data they generate are based on third-party partners. The mere fact that a car report provider is entrusted with vital info by NMVTIS should cue you about their credibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts