Allpar Forums banner

I need to use the PT as a moving vehicle

1384 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Doug D
Moving 33 miles away, 66 round trip.

Already rented a Penske largest van big box truck, the big stuff gone, it was moved to Texas and some big items to my place.

My mom passed away and need to sell her house, would love to buy but buying out 3 siblings and crazy house prices can’t.

I have a 1965 C10 shortbed truck to get other big things to take to goodwill like sofa lazyboy mattress box spring.

What do you think of removing all seats except driver’s seat?

With gas at $5.20 per gallon and rising everyday I need to get as much as possible in each trip.

The truck maybe gets 10 mpg so plan is to bring it over and use it for short trips to goodwill, use the PT for the 66 mile round trips.

Yes I can rent a uhaul or Penske truck, the van is 29.99 per day and .89 cents per mile, also if you pickup at one location and drop at another they charge a big fee, so one round trip without even replacing gas used in rental box truck is approaching $100.00 either way I slice it.

Can rent enclosed trailer for pickup didn’t see per mile fee.

Anyone use PT as a moving vehicle?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
21,376 Posts
Don't remove the passenger seat. It may be weight sensing (I'm not sure of your car's year, but this started sometime in the 2000's) so the airbag only goes off when people over 50 lbs or so are sitting in the seat.
If you remove it and reinstall you may end up with a constant airbag warning light until you get a dealer to recalibrate the seat. That would cost more than $100 most likely.

· Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
171 Posts
5 speed pt was my first car as a teenager and pulled the entire rear seat assembly. Fun times. Good luck with the move and saving on gas!

· Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
122 Posts
Moving 33 miles away, 66 round trip.

Already rented a Penske largest van big box truck, the big stuff gone, it was moved to Texas and some big items to my place.

My mom passed away and need to sell her house, would love to buy but buying out 3 siblings and crazy house prices can’t.

I have a 1965 C10 shortbed truck to get other big things to take to goodwill like sofa lazyboy mattress box spring.

What do you think of removing all seats except driver’s seat?

With gas at $5.20 per gallon and rising everyday I need to get as much as possible in each trip.

The truck maybe gets 10 mpg so plan is to bring it over and use it for short trips to goodwill, use the PT for the 66 mile round trips.

Yes I can rent a uhaul or Penske truck, the van is 29.99 per day and .89 cents per mile, also if you pickup at one location and drop at another they charge a big fee, so one round trip without even replacing gas used in rental box truck is approaching $100.00 either way I slice it.

Can rent enclosed trailer for pickup didn’t see per mile fee.

Anyone use PT as a moving vehicle?
I moved mine and my wife's possessions and furniture from our apartment to our house, 35mile round trip.

I stuffed the car full of stuff, took it to the house. Dumped the first batch of stuff and removed the rear seats and shelf and left it at the house. Folded down the passenger front seat.

I was then able to fit in a single load:

1x Antique Desk
4x Boxes of clothes
1x Computer Chair
1x Coffee Table
2x Lamps
1x Desktop Computer with mouse/keyboard and monitor
All kitchen utensils.

On a later trip I was able to fit our old double bed after disassembling, along with a crap load of kitchenware and a second desk. You can fit a ton in these cars when you take out the seats.

Took me approx 4-5 trips on my day off. I banned my wife from helping me, as she was pregnant at the time.

· Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fit (8) 4 per trip big Rubbermaid trash can full of grass and yard clipping, in back of pt cruiser, took them to a place that is nursery and food and yard waste recycling they make mulch.

It would have taken 5 weeks of trash pickup to get rid of it all, I was afraid it would grow spiders scorpions etc, got rid of it.

However made a mess of car, bought Armor All car shop vac AA256 at Autozone for $46.99 plus tax, better deal than Amazon, it’s good for at home, has a big wide handle for carpet like car wash.

Finally got rear passenger seat out, used hammer to brake the release on the lock closer to middle of car.

That seat might way 100 pounds or more, anyone know?

· Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to move a computer tall desk that comes in sections, it’s over 65 inches tall, got one in car, but can’t close hatch.

Going to run it over to goodwill, luckily it’s not too far, thinking of tying hatch down so it rests on wood cabinets with a blanket for protection, and also tie or use moving straps to keep the load from sliding out.

Never hauled anything in a car and tied hatch down, but it should be ok?

· Super Moderator
21,376 Posts
The biggest problem will be the tendency to suck exhaust (carbon monoxide) into the car with the hatch even partially open. Other than that, secure it well.

Reactions: Gerry G

· Registered
833 Posts
Suggest you keep the front windows open or drive with the fan on high to prevent exhaust from being pulled into the interior and getting to the driver.

· Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
122 Posts
I need to move a computer tall desk that comes in sections, it’s over 65 inches tall, got one in car, but can’t close hatch.

Going to run it over to goodwill, luckily it’s not too far, thinking of tying hatch down so it rests on wood cabinets with a blanket for protection, and also tie or use moving straps to keep the load from sliding out.

Never hauled anything in a car and tied hatch down, but it should be ok?
You'll be fine, I hauled a sofa in the PT just fine. Used bungee cords to keep the hatch secured, and the sofa in. Did 20 miles of interstate just fine.

· Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It went fine, rolled all windows down even though it’s horrible hot here in Phoenix Arizona area, the dome lights stayed on and made it hard to see in the darkness.

Drove slow and careful, used moving strap with tensioner lock to hold hatch against furniture.

Left windows down on return trip just to be safe if buildup of carbon monoxide fumes.

· Registered
37 Posts
When I moved from Eastern Pennsylvania to Louisville, KY - 700 miles roughly...I had a U-Haul cartop carrier, and a Pontiac Sunbird already on its last legs. I loaded that thing so full there was nothing but a "stall" in the driver's seat...I had all my worldly possessions, such as they were then, in, on and around this Sunbird...and killed it going over the mountains in the "panhandle" of Maryland, about 2 miles from West Virginia.

My friend from Louisville came to collect me in his Ford Windstar. My stuff filled the Windstar...that is how loaded I was.

My point...be careful not to overload and overtax your car, especially if it is in less than stellar condition. That will also cost you more than $100. TBH, unless I was sure, I'd rent a U-haul truck. At least if that dies, it costs you nothing.

· Virginia Gentleman
8,735 Posts
When I moved from Eastern Pennsylvania to Louisville, KY - 700 miles roughly...I had a U-Haul cartop carrier, and a Pontiac Sunbird already on its last legs. I loaded that thing so full there was nothing but a "stall" in the driver's seat...I had all my worldly possessions, such as they were then, in, on and around this Sunbird...and killed it going over the mountains in the "panhandle" of Maryland, about 2 miles from West Virginia.

My friend from Louisville came to collect me in his Ford Windstar. My stuff filled the Windstar...that is how loaded I was.

My point...be careful not to overload and overtax your car, especially if it is in less than stellar condition. That will also cost you more than $100. TBH, unless I was sure, I'd rent a U-haul truck. At least if that dies, it costs you nothing.
Almost 38 years ago I moved from CO to VA (1,800-mile move). I had a '79 Monza towing a U-Haul 4x6 enclosed trailer with my '82 Kawasaki KZ550 stuffed inside. Had more boxes in the trailer as well as the car - trunk and backseat were stuffed full. With a full load of fuel, the rear was down on the bump stops.

I should have had the clutch replaced before the move but was running out of time. It had been showing signs of needing replacement just before the move.

For the trip I drove at night and usually stopped by early afternoon finding a cheap motel to sleep for a 6-7 hours. The only part of the trip I was truly worried about was a long 6-7% grade in either PA or MD. The trailer was heavy enough that trying to get going from a stop on that steep of a grade would be challenging to say the least. So, as I approached this long grade I gathered as much speed as I could (clutch would slip in 4th at speeds over 55-60 mph while towing). Eventually, I had to downshift to 3rd, and I prayed it would pull the grade which thank God it did. But it did have me worried for a bit. I think my speed was down to about 35-40 mph for the entire grade.

Had the clutch replaced a few months later. Noticed that 3rd gear seemed "warped" after the trip and clutch replacement. I guess that long grade pull may have damaged it to some degree. I don't know why, but that car seemed to eat clutches every 30K miles or so though the last time it needed one I had gotten 60K miles out of it. At that point I was done with it and got rid of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts