Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO it was time to replace the wifes jeep GC, she was now looking at jeep #4.

Everything conspired to eleminate jeep. What went wrong ?

the 2014 GC are overpriced in the land rover range.... they were once a great alternative vehicle.
the 2014 cherokee is so concerning sales held surely a problem - wish we could say whats wrong.
the recalls - 200x WJ FIREs and then again a 2014 FIRE issue....
2 recalls (airbags and tow hitch) no parts... they said....
Plumiting resale of the WJ and NO help from chrysler to trade in... you think they would step up.
Dealer incentives - end of year, anything for that matter.

Well there is a journey that she may take for a test drive.... but I worry..... can they turn it around?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Honestly, the prices for the Grand Cherokee are probably so high because (especially after the refresh) they have an awesome off-roader, urban king, and SRT racer on their hands! I'm sure the demand is sky-high.

They made an incredible vehicle. Kudos to Chrysler Group.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
A 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 starts at just under $38K. A 2013 Land Rover LR4 starts at just over $49K. That's an $11K difference. But I'm not sure which models you are comparing.

Sales were held on the Cherokee due to reprogramming of the drivetrain we are told.

Every automaker experiences recalls. Some would say that as of late Jeep is being singled-out more so than others. We still don't have verification of exactly the what and why of the problem.

It is not uncommon for there to be a delay while parts for a recall are ramped up and distributed to the dealer network.

Incentives would be few on the Grand Cherokee because it is selling quite well without large incentives - I see 1.9 financing and/or $500 cash back on 2013 models.

I'm not sure I see the same "doom & gloom" you see.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
They can ask that much money because they can get it. Grand Cherokee sales actually are very good. It's supply and demand.
You get much more vehicle in a Jeep than a Land Rover (no comparison). I wouldn't even consider Land Rover as an alternative.
Due to high initial demand and limited inventory, the new Cherokee probably won't be a great deal compared to a Patriot or Compass. They will arrive soon.
The fire situation is being resolved and not widespread or out of control. The media is responsible a lot of the hype.
Not all dealers stock recall parts. Many times they are ordered on an 'as needed' basis. They have pretty much zero value sitting on a parts shelf. They can't be sold for cash.
A WJ is now at least 10 years old. There would be no real trade in or resale value except as a 'token' towards a new vehicle. Sell it yourself if you can.
Shop around. Barter. Make it a point to visit 2 or 3 dealerships for your best deal. Don't rely on just one dealership to meet all your expectations.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Grand Cherokee is from $11,000, to $45,000 cheaper than Rocer, depending upon model to model comparisons.

·
Registered
377 Posts
kev2 said:

the 2014 GC are overpriced in the land rover range.... they were once a great alternative vehicle.

Plumiting resale of the WJ and NO help from chrysler to trade in... you think they would step up.
Time to find a different dealer. I just bought a 2014 Laredo E with no cash out of pocket (I never put money into a car as I'll have to pay ~$2500 personal property taxes + fees when I plate it)) and traded in my (significantly) upside down 2010 Liberty plus had the dealer add the tow hitch and extended warranty for a slight increase in monthly payments (yes I will die with a car payment). There is some dealer cash out there otherwise this deal would have never gone through, you just need to find a dealer that wants the business. I do all my negotiating online with multiple dealers and who ever gives me the best deal gets my business.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Yeah, the problem with Chrysler making such great cars and them selling so well is that they can ask and receive a higher price for their vehicles.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Ralph had a good IDEA .... I ASSUMED the rebates were all corporate therefor the same everywhere. And yes those extended warrantys - look great when faced with touch screens, 'computer' modules for everything, as well as the new engineering MICAHI, the old being KISS

Scince I commented on price, I was told the end of year (leftovers) are often the fully loaded or the low dessired models. those 40K+ jeeps they had.

I still see jeep as an alternative to GM FORD I can't see them marketed as land rover comps, old school.

BUT the story on the Cherokee - mom loved them - I am a cynical NYer and see a bigger issue than 'programing"
hoping the crew here at ALLPAR can get to the bottom of it, beyond the corp press releases..

Its off to DODGE tomorrow - let you know

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Heh. Based on what I see advertised for Land Rover around here, they seem to have stopped building off-road vehicles and started building tall, poor-handling sportwagons...

If they still have a legitimate offroader, it's not that vehicle with the 22" wheels with 2" of sidewall...

Reactions: Bearhawke

·
Registered
699 Posts
kev2 said:

the 2014 cherokee is so concerning sales held surely a problem - wish we could say whats wrong.
the recalls - 200x WJ FIREs and then again a 2014 FIRE issue....
2 recalls (airbags and tow hitch) no parts... they said....

Well there is a journey that she may take for a test drive.... but I worry..... can they turn it around?
Beware more of the recalls you don't see coming rather than the ones found out and being fixed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
kev2 said:
BUT the story on the Cherokee - mom loved them - I am a cynical NYer and see a bigger issue than 'programing"
hoping the crew here at ALLPAR can get to the bottom of it, beyond the corp press releases..
That is the bottom of it.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
kev2 said:
It has been questioned, why a simple re-flash is requiring thousands of cars to be held in impound?
If the re flash is so simple AND could be done on the line, then why aren't KL's shipping?
Still unresolved are the reports of overheating and damage to the drivetrain on AWD models.
Those reports are getting little attention, are they solved or is the re-flash the cover story.
Why was the international press event cancelled...and not yet rescheduled???

If indeed it's a simple fix, one could surmise that they are merely building up inventory for a huge launch.
What remains to be seen is if there is any demand for this car, beyond the pages of Allpar and some anecdotal evidence that thousands of folks are waiting in the wings to buy one?
Time will tell.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Diligent shopping and timing resulted in our GC purchase near Sebring LXI payments.. Always thought of it as a off road Limo.

·
Registered
435 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It has been questioned, why a simple re-flash is requiring thousands of cars to be held in impound?
If the re flash is so simple AND could be done on the line, then why aren't KL's shipping?
Still unresolved are the reports of overheating and damage to the drivetrain on AWD models.
Those reports are getting little attention, are they solved or is the re-flash the cover story.
Why was the international press event cancelled...and not yet rescheduled???

If indeed it's a simple fix, one could surmise that they are merely building up inventory for a huge launch.
What remains to be seen is if there is any demand for this car, beyond the pages of Allpar and some anecdotal evidence that thousands of folks are waiting in the wings to buy one?
Time will tell.
The problem can be solved with a reflash, which is quick and easy to do, as long as you have the update ready. If they are just tweaking the software, but are still trying to understrand how to improve it (without messing something else up), it could take a while. Sure, they could send them to the dealers and have them do it, but I'm sure they would rather limit the chances of an unflashed vehicle getting out.

As for the press event, it is hard to resechedule an event when you don't know how long it is going to take to get the flash in place.

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Sure, they could send them to the dealers and have them do it, but I'm sure they would rather limit the chances of an unflashed vehicle getting out.
A huge +1 on that. If Chrysler really trusted its dealers... we'd all be thinking they were nuts, wouldn't we?

Some of those dealers are pretty bad eggs.

Some of them are really good...

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JoshMHam said:
The problem can be solved with a reflash, which is quick and easy to do, as long as you have the update ready. If they are just tweaking the software, but are still trying to understrand how to improve it (without messing something else up), it could take a while. Sure, they could send them to the dealers and have them do it, but I'm sure they would rather limit the chances of an unflashed vehicle getting out.

As for the press event, it is hard to resechedule an event when you don't know how long it is going to take to get the flash in place.
While I appreciate all that, and understand the process, the underlying story is; are you saying with certainty, that you know the re-flash story to be true, or are you saying the above as a regurgitation of the official line? Not disparaging you in the least, just trying to gain the truth here.
I will accept a PM, if you do not wish to reply in public. from what I have gleamed, the programing is causing hard and damaging shifts, that will eventually result in drivetrain or component failure.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
MoparNorm said:
While I appreciate all that, and understand the process, the underlying story is; are you saying with certainty, that you know the re-flash story to be true, or are you saying the above as a regurgitation of the official line? Not disparaging you in the least, just trying to gain the truth here.
I will accept a PM, if you do not wish to reply in public. from what I have gleamed, the programing is causing hard and damaging shifts, that will eventually result in drivetrain or component failure.
I agree with Norm that there is more than a simple re-flash. That would have been done by now as too many dollars are tied up in non-sellable inventory. They surely have identified an issue that would be a major recall/warranty problem that must be dealt with before releasing. At the same time, at least they are not putting known faulty product out to the public for them to put up with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts