Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, as some of you already know, I purchased a new 200 back in April and took it for the first free oil change at the dealership at 9,000 miles or so. I never had the oil change warning come on. Friday, I turned 12,500 miles on the car and shortly after, the oil change message finally came up. I cleared it and went on my way. I was just wondering if you guys that own 200's have ever seen the message and at what increments it appears. I'm also wondering if the dealership had something to do with it because they suggest changing the oil every 3,000 miles. (Not going to happen because the owners manual says every 10,000).

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My avenger would come on every 7500 miles, but I had the 3.6L

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
The light comes on at a calculated time based on usage. If you drive only on the highway it won't come on for more miles than if you spend all your time in stop and go traffic.

The dealer can't really manipulate it that I am aware of.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
valiant67 said:
The light comes on at a calculated time based on usage. If you drive only on the highway it won't come on for more miles than if you spend all your time in stop and go traffic.

The dealer can't really manipulate it that I am aware of.
+1! If we drive our Journey on a few long trips, the oil change reminder won't come on until about 5,500 miles. If we just do our normal daily driving it pops up around 2,500 miles. As Mark posted, there is an algorthym that calculates the proper time to trigger the light based on usage.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense, Mark. I live in a rural area and usually drive a minimum of 20 miles just to get groceries or gas. Most of our driving in the car is local or interstate. Once I get the wife to Nashville, it's not usually more that 15 or 20 miles of stop and go.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
On my wife's car, it came on around 3,500 miles, I think. We had had the oil changed at 1,400 and again at 7,500, and at 14,400. I reset the message and it has not come on since. It is based on a usage algorithm, and the dealer cannot affect it.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
peterjon1 said:
I bet the dealer didn't reset the service reminder when he did the change.
? If they don't reset it, it remains on constantly.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
But he said it hadn't come on when he had them do the first change at 9,000, but did come on at 12,500. I am thinking that the dealer didn't reset it at 9,000, and the algorithm turned it on at 12,500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts