Allpar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acquired a 47 Lincoln Coupe with a Mopar torsion bar front suspension grafted on. Trying to ID what year / make donor car was. Going to try and post pics to see if any one can give me an answer. So the pics worked If other pics. Or other info will help let me know. Thanks for your help.
o
Automotive tire Tire Black Motor vehicle Wheel

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Vehicle brake Rim

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I don't see any kind of torsion bar or spring.

There appears to be tie rod ends, and some kind of anti-sway bar/tension strut strapped together. No longitudinal or transverse torsion bar evident in the photos. No coil spring evident.

Whatever you have there is incomplete.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

There appears to be tie rod ends, and some kind of anti-sway bar/tension strut strapped together. No longitudinal or transverse torsion bar evident in the photos. No coil spring evident.

I will try and get some better under car pics-it is all there I think. They grafted the entire cross member-a arms-sway bar-ETC You can get a glimpse of the tortion bar on the 2nd pic, but I will get better pics in a day or two Thanks

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I will try and get some better under car pics-it is all there I think. They grafted the entire cross member-a arms-sway bar-ETC You can get a glimpse of the tortion bar on the 2nd pic, but I will get better pics in a day or two Thanks
It's not an F/M/J suspension (transverse torsion bars), as there's some major problems. Each bar is anchored in the lower control arm, which is not apparent in any photo.
There are no tension struts in that suspension, and the swaybar would not be strapped to them.

On a A/B/C/E suspension, there would be longitudinal bars running from the LCA to the anchors near the transmission crossmember.

The closest thing it might be is an A-body, but there's really too much wrong even at that.

It actually looks like a Chevy of some kind, minus the coil sorings.

Bob Sheaves might be able to help, maybe he'll chime in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has two 3-4' long torsion bars that attach to an A-arm on each side and run back to anchor in a frame crossmember I will get better pic tonight. I really do appreciate your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Font Parallel Triangle Auto part Engineering

This is as close a diagram as I have run across that matches what is under the car. Came up with a search of 66 Dodge Dart. Again I'll post more pic an see if anyone agrees??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW I had trouble loading pics and then this!! Took the provided advice and looked for #s. The only one I could find is on the steering box and I traced hat back to a Dodge Dart-A body(?) That seems to be the answer. Unless someone has more advise I will order a few parts for a Dart and see if they fit. Of course I wrote the part # down and left it at home. Feel free to comment on the whole installation. I plan on adding some reinforcement at the attachment points, but I am far from a suspension expert. Any way thanks for all the input -past & future-I will work at removing some of these redundant pics Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the input. I haven't found a way to delete the redundant pics-if you have a Mod that can do that feel free or sdvise me on how to do it. It sure is silly to have to scroll past all the pics

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Thanks again for the input. I haven't found a way to delete the redundant pics-if you have a Mod that can do that feel free or sdvise me on how to do it. It sure is silly to have to scroll past all the pics
Fora/VerticalScope Inc. the company that owns dozen's of sites [ including this one ] does NOT allow picture deletion by normal members, basically if you post it "they" now own it , a Mod or Admin can delete photos [ like the over post above ] but they are told not too
For the record: If there is a post that you cannot edit, rather than hoping a moderator randomly runs across the request, use the Report option and describe what you would like edited.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
By the way, I'd guess this was a 1973 or newer suspension swapped in due to the unicast (1 piece) rotors.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
My best guess is a 1973-1979 B body donated the front suspension, it certainly was cut and welded in many places to make it work from those pictures.

·
Registered
1993 Dodge caravan, 1949 Dodge truck, 1991 swb chevrolet truck
272 Posts
My best guess is a 1973-1979 B body donated the front suspension, it certainly was cut and welded in many places to make it work from those pictures.
You can certainly see the slice & dice to make it work.
I'm no expert just saying a lot of work went into it. I do not see anything obvious that looks bad .... I just see a lot of past work.
As always double check others previous work for safety.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You can certainly see the slice & dice to make it work.
I'm no expert just saying a lot of work went into it. I do not see anything obvious that looks bad .... I just see a lot of past work.
As always double check others previous work for safety.
I agree, it looks like it was beefed up enough to work. The true test would be what happens on an alignment rack!

·
KOG
7,308 Posts
You might want to tighten the nut on the pitman arm---.

This whole thing looks to be a kluge of the highest order.

·
Registered
1993 Dodge caravan, 1949 Dodge truck, 1991 swb chevrolet truck
272 Posts
You might want to tighten the nut on the pitman arm---.

This whole thing looks to be a kluge of the highest order.
You certainly have a good point. The whole point of the post was to identify the front end so it can be disassembled & rebuilt ..... right now is just mock up mode for identification.
We have all made same mistake of not reading a thread when it gets too long .... Hope you enjoy your weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts