Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I've got a set of big block Mopar heads that I've had so long, I can't remember what they came off. Any way you guys could help me out? They're a matching set that I THINK may have come off a 68 Super Bee I helped a buddy swap the engine out of his 67 VIP on back in 75. Not sure though. The numbers I find on the heads are 240516-9 and 2406516-10. on the #9 head, there is another number which is 05066 and on the #10 head I find the number 06126. Any help would be appreciated. I don't know if they're worth much or I should just sell them for scrap. I don't have a big block Mopar any more. Haven't had one since 1979.

·
Super Moderator
36,926 Posts
You've probably got a set of 516 heads. These are a closed chamber head, probably last used in 1967. They aren't as popular as the other heads in performance circles, but there is probably some value there to someone restoring a 1967 or earlier car. Probably not a lot, but worth a little more than scrap.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks, Mark. This would mean they probably came off the 67 Belvedere four door my Dad had when I was in high school. 383 with a 2 barrel carb, but it was pretty fast.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd probably take them off your hands if you were close by, but shipping would be "cost preventative". Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Closed chamber heads are great because they can give a good boost in compression, chambers are about 10-11cc smaller than the open chamber heads. Punching larger exhaust valves in the use of 440s is usually asked because it was just a hair small, but they still have the 2.08 intakes like the other heads. Remove the sharp lip on the edge of the combustion chamber at the same angle as the combustion chamber and you can run 87 octane and around 11:1 compression without any pinging at all. Been doing this for years.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd probably take them off your hands if you were close by, but shipping would be "cost preventative". Where are you located?
I'm in Tennessee, between Nashville and Memphis. Anyone want to make an offer? If so, PM me. I'm not looking to get rich, and would let them go pretty cheaply along with shipping cost to your zip code. If you're interested, I can send you pics. They appear to be in good shape, with no burned valves. Just need a good cleaning, probably a light grind on the seats and valve faces and of course, new seals!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts