Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NP 5xx series manual transmissions used with the 2.2/2.5 use plastic pad inserts on the shifting forks. Wouldnt be a problem except mother mopar has decided to not restock and supply them anymore... :( and the aftermarket hasnt come along to offer anything either.

Looking at the original parts they appear to be some sort of a opaque yellowish nylon compound that is petroleum resistant, can withstand moderate high temperatures, has good impact resistance and is somewhat hard to have good wear resistance to a polished steel surface.

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
Could be a glass-filled nylon. Unlikely to be polycarbonate, which is easily embrittled by exposure to aromatic hydrocarbons (gasoline, and oil additives).

Are these worn or cracked on your transmission?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Maybe they are serviced only as part of a shift fork assembly now? I have seen that before. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The parts book called them shift fork 'inserts' and they were availible separately. Part number was 2514621 for the A-460/A-465 transaxle of the 1980's. May be the same.
I know that a part number does you little good from Chrysler, but many online NOS/obsolete parts suppliers and transmission parts vendors might still go by this number rather than the part application/description. Google Chysler Mopar 2514621.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
You might also be able to find a part for another application that fits, if you can speak to someone at the manufacturer, or supplier. For example, 4x4 transfer cases usually use shift forks with pads, and there are plenty of online suppliers of Tcase rebuild kits.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be a glass-filled nylon. Unlikely to be polycarbonate, which is easily embrittled by exposure to aromatic hydrocarbons (gasoline, and oil additives).

Are these worn or cracked on your transmission?
More worn than I would like. This is one of those parts that makes a liar out of someone when they say they dont abuse their transmission, the pads in my 523 have 254,000 miles on them and were just starting to show wear. I purchsed a 568 to put in the car while I service the 523 and put a quaife LSD into it and all 6 fork pads on the 568 were destroyed. I have scavenged enough used ones to get by but thats it.

The parts book called them shift fork 'inserts' and they were availible separately. Part number was 2514621 for the A-460/A-465 transaxle of the 1980's. May be the same.
I know that a part number does you little good from Chrysler, but many online NOS/obsolete parts suppliers and transmission parts vendors might still go by this number rather than the part application/description. Google Chysler Mopar 2514621.
for the 523, 543 and 568 they use two different pads (dont have the p/n's handy atm) The 1-2 and 5th fork use one and the 3-4 fork uses another. The 1-2-5 ones are NS1 and long gone, the 3-4 are NS1 but still out there.

You might also be able to find a part for another application that fits, if you can speak to someone at the manufacturer, or supplier. For example, 4x4 transfer cases usually use shift forks with pads, and there are plenty of online suppliers of Tcase rebuild kits.

I have tried that route with no good results yet.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved... atleast for me.

Found a place in SoCal that was clearing out their old stock. Called to verify that the picture given in the listing (ebay) was accurate and all fork pads were included, they were and 5 minutes later the rest was history as they say... :) Got lucky I think, the boxes were dated from April 2001, so certainly older stock parts. Bought friday and they got here (east coast) today.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you have an extraordinary group of people in your car enthusiast group awesome things can happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts