Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.5L Caravan. It has run without trouble for years. Just recently, it has started to sputter a bit while idling and kinda 'hunts' for a stable idle position. Then it suddenly dies. It will re=start, but this pattern starts all over again. This has been a gradual buildup over perhaps a month.

Before I start changing things, anyone had any similar situations? What did you do to correct the problem? The air cleaner is clean, there is plenty of fuel. I am thinking it might be the fuel filter. I have not changed it out since I have owned the van. It has 197K on the engine.

Thoughts, suggestions and knowledge from those of you who have experienced the problem much appreciated.

slim slow slider

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Fuel filter should be changed every 50K miles, so.... :rolleyes:

Check fault codes, also. http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/index.html

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel filter should be changed every 50K miles, so.... :rolleyes:

Check fault codes, also. http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/index.html
Thanks, Bob. However, I do not have a scanner, but can still follow the flashes. More later after I change out the filter.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
If you haven't ever changed the fuel filter, then I'm guessing you've never cleaned the throttle body either. Get a can of spray throttle body cleaner and use it as directed.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
This vehicle has the 2.5L 4 cylinder with TBI (single throttle body injector). It is possible that the single injector needs to be replaced. Unfortunately the injector costs over $100 so it is not inexpensive to do a trial and error replacement.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. Fortunately, that injector is priced MUCH lower than $100. It just might need to be changed.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Could be, but doubtful. I've never known one to go bad. My last car had the original one at 308K miles, ran like new, was never cleaned.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
The typical injector failure will make it run rich and you may see large drops falling onto the throttle blade as it idles. The throttle position sensor can also fail without leaving behind a code. A leaky EGR (if equipped), can also make for a rough idle quality.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear the oxygen sensor can also cause the engine to run rough. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Does this seem to happen warm or cold or does it make no difference? If the idle fluctuation and stall happened within the first minute or two after a cold start, the O2 sensor would not be active yet.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Before you go shotgunning parts, run the codes on it like Bob suggested. If you've got a bad EGR, or O2 sensor, it's possible they'll show up in the trouble codes. Check you codes and post back what you find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts