Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just curious if it is normal for my 2004 sebring to idle around 1000 rpm in park? I live in Northern Canada and the temperature has been around minus 20 to minus 30 Fahrenheit so am guessing the computer is compensating for this but just wanted to check.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Is this after the car is at operating temp?

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
There are some issues with throttle icing in cold climates, particularly if moisture is added. The intake air isn't heated like the old days. A PCV/breather problem or excessive blowby may add to the moisture problem as crankcase fumes are laden with moisture. The intake air can be way below freezing, especially on the vacuum-side of the throttle blade.
Some 2.7L engines had a coolant warmed PCV hose to help prevent icing in arctic or near-arctic conditions. To see if this is the problem, after the warm engine sits and the heat-soak melts the ice, the idle should drop to normal.
A discussion is here: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=92173

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I will wait and see what happens when it warms up. Sounds like the idle should not be this high. It is affecting our gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
If this is an ongoing high idle, you may want to check for a manifold vacuum leak. Listen for a hiss or look for a disconnected vacuum hose. Check where TPS voltage or IAC steps are as well as for any mechanical sticking of the throttle cables or throttle blade.
Fuel economy will generally be poor in cold weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts