Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idler pulley is squeaking and I went to get a replacement today. Discount has one but it is different from the original. It's just flat with no outside flanges .It's a dayco part number 89027.Will this work ok or do i need to find one with the flanges?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
What engine, year and car?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh..forgot that...92 leabaron convertible lx....3.0 engine. It has a serpentiner belt for everything but a/c. The original pulley has a flat face(no ribs).Just worried the belt might slip off.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You're referring to the pulley on the serpentine belt tensioner ? Some are smooth, some have flanged edges. If the belt walks off the pulley then the tensioner is worn out and you need to replace the entire unit. The belt won't walk off a good tensioner.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the tensioner today..It really wasn't rotating far enough to release the belt and apparently the bearing was bad as well.It was kinda loose and squeaked when you turned it.I also replaced the idler pulley with the smoother one. I don't think it will slide off. The alt pulley ,ps pulley and crank are all ribbed so altogether they should keep it on track. New dayco belt too..It ought to be good for a long time now!!!Thanks for the replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts