Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thoug theres a mystry silver cap looking thing with 3 lugs on it floating around in the engin bay maybe thats the realy mentioned? hs one wire coming off it going god knows where

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,380 Posts
Locate and follow the thinner (brown?) wire up from the starter. The fat one should go to battery (+) or the fat (+) stud.
An IH may use a different style relay from a Dodge truck. It may be mounted to the firewall or inner fender?
A couple of common styles:

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
KOG
7,176 Posts
"you mean the thing with a line coming out ofi t that looks like a vacume pluger " That would be the vacuum advance.

·
Registered
8,617 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is what it would look like, only not shiny and clean. It comes off the positive battery cable and is mounted to the driver side fender well. If it has one! Just take a screwdriver and jump it from the large bolt with the battery cable on it to the terminal marked SOL https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...14561/automotive-car-1967-dodge-coronet?pos=1
ill have to look see what i find txs guys

"you mean the thing with a line coming out ofi t that looks like a vacume pluger " That would be the vacuum advance.
nothing like
o ok

good to learn something be nice ending to a craptacular day if i can get it to spin over with the starter

·
Super Moderator
38,571 Posts
I’m sure that part of the wiring remains IH, so it probably won’t look like the Mopar parts shown. I don’t know what it’s going to look like on an IH.

·
Super Moderator
22,380 Posts
That looks like a horn relay.
If IH used a direct drive starter motor instead of the Chrysler gear-reduction starter, it may not have a starter solenoid relay?
For bringing this truck back from the dead, I would suggest getting ahold of a factory shop manual and a parts catalog. Think of them as a tool cost.

·
Super Moderator
22,380 Posts
Using the horn relay as a battery tie-point or junction is an old GM practice. GM also used Delco-Remy electrics.
You might find that the electrical system on the IH is a mongrel, like AMC and Studebaker-Packard was.

A shop manual with wiring diagrams will make this job go easier.
I have found old service manuals for loan at the public library. They aren't on the shelves. Ask. They may store them in the backroom stacks.
If they don't have them, they may be able to tell you who does.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Diagram

·
KOG
7,176 Posts
Another thing to consider. If it has a Delco starter with the solenoind built in even GM had a kit a one time to add a Ford type solenoid to bypass the one on the starter which would fail to operate when hot. Kit applied to almost all big block trucks and some cars such as Toronado which had hot start problems (yeah I was a Cad-Olds tech waaaaay back and also ran some big block chevy trucks) .

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Using the horn relay as a battery tie-point or junction is an old GM practice. GM also used Delco-Remy electrics.
You might find that the electrical system on the IH is a mongrel, like AMC and Studebaker-Packard was.

A shop manual with wiring diagrams will make this job go easier.
I have found old service manuals for loan at the public library. They aren't on the shelves. Ask. They may store them in the backroom stacks.
If they don't have them, they may be able to tell you who does.

View attachment 82522
lybrary idea is fine and dandy when ur in the city but im in northern community where the lybrary is the size of a living room and has no technical books. anything like that woulda been lost when the mine was torn down as they had been a lybrary for stuff like this in town at one time tlll the province tore down the mill and all the other buildings to do with it use to b a blacksmith shop wih a full machine shop and small foundry for making anything one could need as the place was so remote when it first opened shame its all gone

also txs for that drawing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
as for the electrical on this ih its all hacked together under the hood with scraps it looks like from someone messing around

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
ok some progress got the starter to click hmm i think my battery is weak after taking some readings least im getting somewhere

also managed to crawl under it and found a transfercase so it does have 4x4 still hmm
the muflers look to still be there intact as well

·
Premium Member
20,238 Posts
You can go online and get plenty of wiring diagrams, so pick something like a 1968 Dart or Charger/Coronet. All the wiring is the same style so you can get the basics of battery, alternator, starter, ignition, and go from there with little difficulty. A starter relay (you have pictures of them already), along with a ballast resistor, (I think you have a points distributor since I didn't see a ECU, electronic control unit), so simplicity is the key, but it still has to be right ,otherwise you could be wasting a whole lot of time trying to get her running safely. Last thing you want is an electrical fire on the way to your garage. To get her on the road to the shop, stick with alternator wiring, ignition wiring, and starter wires. You can do the rest afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
22,380 Posts
You may find that some of the electrical system is whatever IH decided to use at the time. Maybe more like a GM?
This looks like a Delco-Remy alternator:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You can go online and get plenty of wiring diagrams, so pick something like a 1968 Dart or Charger/Coronet. All the wiring is the same style so you can get the basics of battery, alternator, starter, ignition, and go from there with little difficulty. A starter relay (you have pictures of them already), along with a ballast resistor, (I think you have a points distributor since I didn't see a ECU, electronic control unit), so simplicity is the key, but it still has to be right ,otherwise you could be wasting a whole lot of time trying to get her running safely. Last thing you want is an electrical fire on the way to your garage. To get her on the road to the shop, stick with alternator wiring, ignition wiring, and starter wires. You can do the rest afterwards.
the existing harnes needs to be replaced its been hacked up and is brittal will need to rewire thankfully theres still new ones avail for these so i just intened to bw able to fire it up move it 2 miles and park it or get her towed but rather try and move it my self

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
got it to turn over with the starter now to figure out the ignition system.

issue i had was bad battery lead i finaly changed after scrounging for my spare one
now to charge my battery back up

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,373 Posts
Pull the distributor cap to see if you have points or or a electronic distributor. If you have points you can use either Delco or Mopar style coil, resistor and starter relay. If electronic, use a Mopar system. All wiring diagrams are available online.

·
Super Moderator
22,380 Posts
A pre -1973 would have points. The 383 became the 400 for 1973.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts