Allpar Forums banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

KOG
馃憤馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
here is how she sounds sadly battery died woulda seen it spining tires its curently stuck in some ruts and no one to help my pull push it out
need to find a different belt for the fan/ altinator as the one sitting on it is slightly to big the adjustment on the altinator braket is at max

Registered
How much oil do you have in the crankcase? I sure hear a LOT of valve chatter! LOL Congrats on getting it running and I hope you get it unstuck soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
How much oil do you have in the crankcase? I sure hear a LOT of valve chatter! LOL Congrats on getting it running and I hope you get it unstuck soon.
its at the full line

need the change it but not sure what oil filter to get googling comes up with zillion different ones sigh and calling napa i get aww u need vechle make not engin make or we cant look it up

Registered
IIRC, all of the big block Mopars pretty much took the same filter. Here's a Purolator listing that I pulled up. I'm sure you'd be fine with one of these. I used a 67 Dodge Monaco with a 383 for reference. If you look up a Chrysler or Plymouth with a 383 or 440 from the same era, you'll see they all take the same filter. PL30001

KOG
It's not unusual to hear valve clatter on an engine which has been parked for many, many years. Some of the lifters will have collapsed and it will take quite a bit of time for them to pump back up. Just don't rev it up until the noise goes away and it should be fine.

Premium Member
Besides the fan/alternator belt being a little loose, the way the wiring is, good chance there are wires grounding out and draining the battery extra fast, so be aware of bare wire ends that could ruin your day on the way to your garage.
Fram, a rather common filter, is PH8A, like them or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
ive bypassed the trucks wireing just have one from the ground one to the starter and one to the coil and one i use for ingaging the starter

thanks for the filter suggestions

lifters sink? doesnt the cam just turn them in the head?

Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
ive bypassed the trucks wireing just have one from the ground one to the starter and one to the coil and one i use for ingaging the starter

thanks for the filter suggestions

lifters sink? doesnt the cam just turn them in the head?
Sinking is the wrong term. They are hydraulic lifters meaning that there is an inner and outer member and oil is trapped between them and the inner member is pushed out by the oil taking up any slack in the valve train. When an engine is not used for a long time, the valve spring pressure on the open valves pushes that oil out leaving excess slack in the system. It takes a while to refill the lifters so the valve train noise is very loud until they refill (usually 5 to 15 minutes) and excess RPM can damage the lifter or cam surface during that time.

Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
Was never an issue until hydraulic lifters came into use. While some date back earlier, it was the 50's and 60's that saw them increase in popularity.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
only took a push from my friends to get it unstuck
had to fix the postive lead as it fell off the starter few times blah least lots of room under it
got rad filled up and hose replaced

gravity feed tank caused some stalling issues but it works then add that positive wire good times

Registered
Does it go forward as well as it reverses? LOL

Registered
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
though i wish it was manual still this automatic is disorientating

Registered
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
stupid fuel lines

the threaded part started leaking like mad had to abord as i wound up with a pudle onto the intake manifold doubt thats very safe...
leaking at the compression fitting also snowed today
o well better safe then sorry

ran for quite a while on what was in the boul though was surprized

Registered
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
it made the drive home this eve thanks guys

other then a low tire it ran nice no noises just a loud motor and a exaust leak that flooded the cab with exaust through the shifter holes good thing i got windsheild vents hahaah
.. that was fun

Registered
Maybe you should get a gas mask just in case you start driving it around your property!

Registered
Not just for that, but it looks cool just to wear one. Makes people wonder what you're up to! LMAO

81 - 100 of 101 Posts