Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so i'm new to this forum but have been asking around for advice... do I swap out my 2005 dodge magnum sxt awd's 3.5L HO V6 with a 5.7L HEMI or just try to trade toward loaded R/T?

My mag's been in the shop for a little over 6 months now, and i'm finally getting her back soon after long battles with insurance and parts dealers givin me bad parts... it prevented me (both timewise and financially) from building up my SXT to be more powerful and efficient than it was stock, but made me realize, i don't want the V6... it was never that powerful or efficient to begin with, and doing similar work to a HEMI would yield similar efficiency but obviously a lot more power...

The Question:

Do i just try to trade in towards a loaded R/T? or do I try to build my car from the engine back?

she has only 38,000 miles, but I've had to replace 2 wheels, the battery, the fuel tank, a control arm, the front bumper and a fog light in the past year, so i've already unhapilly dropped plenty of money on her, and if it's cost effective, i'd like to put some dollars into making her what I want. I know I need the engine (5.7L HEMI, she's still gonna be my daily driver so no need for the 6.1), an engine-back exhaust system, upgraded brakes, upgraded air intake, but what else? also note, if i keep her, i'm gonna look for a heated leather driver's seat as well lol

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Most likely, it will be easier and cheaper for you to just trade up than build up. Newer model cars are not exactly modification friendly. Fixing things are a big enough trouble, let alone an engine swap. Even thought the equipment in the car should be mostly plug and play with the Hemi, I'm not sure it will be. Personally I'd just trade up, Magnums aren't that expensive and with gas prices so high, people are letting 5.7s go for less money than the V6s in everything.

·
Super Moderator
36,948 Posts
The only way the swap could be feasible is if you had a complete same year Magnum R/T or 300C for parts. The many small parts and lots of electrical changes will kill you if you don't have the complete car.

I agree, though that you will be time and money ahead to trade for what you want.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I agree with the other guys. Considering time, labor and parts, trading is the smart, economical (?) choice.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!

I would trade up, much easier.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
It's not like the old days when there was only a single wiring harness under the hood and maybe a different front subframe to switch engines. I'd also recommend going for the different car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts