Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

First time posting.

Would anyone know where the illuminated entry relay is located in a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2L (or any of the E class cars of that era)?

I bought the car a few months ago and I’m now trying to get as many of the features working again. I think the illuminated entry relay is bad but can’t find it anywhere (I removed door panels, kick plates, under dash carpeting. Nothing)

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
37,232 Posts
I can’t say for sure on your car but in others they have been plugged into the fuse box or just plugged into wires hanging near the side of the steering column.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to Allpar. For the restoration, you may want to get the 3 volume factory service manual set for 1986 Chrysler FWD cars.
Tattered covers are OK and may have a lower price. It is the information inside that you want. Some manual copies on CD are out there.
86-fwd-car-3v-lg-spine__92240.1468008921.1000.1000.jpg
Thanks. I have the electrical manual and a Haynes guide but nothing more. Would you know where I can find a seller?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can’t say for sure on your car but in others they have been plugged into the fuse box or just plugged into wires hanging near the side of the steering column.
Thanks. I’ll take a closer look and get back to you in a day or so.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
. . . .Would anyone know where the illuminated entry relay is located in a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2L (or any of the E class cars of that era)? . . . . .
Here is a location diagram for a 1984 Daytona (G body) that shows the location of the illuminated entry relay. Hopefully this is similar to 1986 model front wheel drive vehicles. It is behind the lower portion of the dash, passenger side. It has 2 electrical connectors: 2 pin and 3 pin.

Instrument Panel Wiring 1984 Daytona.gif

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Some miscellaneous body relays were over by the glovebox in this era. The relays themselves didn't fail often, but made a good test point to check the inputs and outputs.
I have also seen owners remove the relay when the interior lights stayed on.
Haynes and Chiltons manuals can be misleading (or plain wrong) as they try to be too generic for some applications. Google around for: 1986 Chrysler FWD service manuals. Older and newer Chrysler service manuals can be found for free on the internet, but I don't see yours. The E and T bodies were basically extended K-bodies and mechanically/electrically similar.
I have found unexpected, older service manuals at main public libraries. They aren't on the shelves, but in the backroom stacks. Ask. Some libraries have a subscription to Alldata which you can photocopy to take with you for a small cost. Alldata coverage for something this old may be spotty, but you may find what you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a location diagram for a 1984 Daytona (G body) that shows the location of the illuminated entry relay. Hopefully this is similar to 1986 model front wheel drive vehicles. It is behind the lower portion of the dash, passenger side. It has 2 electrical connectors: 2 pin and 3 pin.

View attachment 13087
Some miscellaneous body relays were over by the glovebox in this era. The relays themselves didn't fail often, but made a good test point to check the inputs and outputs.
I have also seen owners remove the relay when the interior lights stayed on.
Haynes and Chiltons manuals can be misleading (or plain wrong) as they try to be too generic for some applications. Google around for: 1986 Chrysler FWD service manuals. Older and newer Chrysler service manuals can be found for free on the internet, but I don't see yours. The E and T bodies were basically extended K-bodies and mechanically/electrically similar.
I have found unexpected, older service manuals at main public libraries. They aren't on the shelves, but in the backroom stacks. Ask. Some libraries have a subscription to Alldata which you can photocopy to take with you for a small cost. Alldata coverage for something this old may be spotty, but you may find what you need.
Thanks, AllanC. You were right on both counts: Injust now followed your diagram and found it - it’s behind the lower portion of the passenger side dash to the right of the glove box (I spotted the relay after I removed the glove box). And yes, the 2 connectors are disconnected. I just bought a new old stock from eBay. I’ll let you know if the relay is the issue.

I’ll search for the manuals using your suggestions, ImperialCrown.

Thanks to all. I’ve been pulling out my hair for 4 weeks and I don’t have many more left :).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I removed the original relay while waiting for the replacement to arrive. I opened the case, cleaned the electronics, checked if all diodes, transistors, resistors and the coil checked out, reconnected it to the car and ran a test: Driver side illuminated entry works but passenger side doesn’t. Performed a ring test from the relay connecter terminal corresponding to the passenger side door handle switch to ground; the switch is bad. Can’t find one anywhere so I’ll take it apart to see if I can repair it.

Not sure why the previous owner disconnected relay. Doesn’t get hot nor does the relay contact chatter. Works fine.

I’ll post an update when I return in a couple of weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts