Allpar Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I haven't bought may Mopar oil recently but am impressed with the posted nomenclature!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Agree. Synthetic oil made from Group IV stock is truly synthetic. At best, most synthetic oils (such as Mobil 1) are made from Group III stock which is at best a semi-synthetic oil.
Lots of confusion possible at the local store!! So, you are saying Mobil 1 is not a full synthetic?

Pennzoil is factory fill. I get the oil the engine was tested with. No worries!! ;)

The minivan gets 'normal' Pennzoil. 5w-20.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,896 Posts
Lots of confusion possible at the local store!! So, you are saying Mobil 1 is not a full synthetic?
That's what I've read or been told. Check the fine print is what I'm saying. Some synthetics are synthetic in name only.

From Wikipedia:
In 1998, Mobil sued Castrol over the discovery that Castrol was processing conventional oil and calling it synthetic. At the time, Mobil 1 was still created using a true synthetic basestock, which is more expensive. Mobil lost the lawsuit, and, as a result, the "new" definition of 'synthetic oil' became much looser. In order to stay competitive, Mobil needed to downgrade their process to the more affordable process. The result is a hydrocracked, hydroisomerized conventional oil. Lubes N' Greases magazine has reported shortcomings in the ability to pass the tests that the original Mobil 1 formula was able to.[3]

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
That must be why they don't have the Chrysler MS standard printed on the oil container...... o_O ???

21 - 26 of 26 Posts