Allpar Forums banner

I'm somewhat back

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  msmart86_2000 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I haven't actively visited this forum for some time, but I'm now living in NYC. I'm planning to move to Boston next may and finally have the resources to buy a car that I want, instead of being forced to buy whatever car I can get. Are Daytonas still worth buying as a daily driver? Have they stood the test of time?

#4 ·
Depends on the condition of the car to begin with, hopefully the guys that drive them will be able to fill in specifics above normal maintenance like oil and filter.

#5 ·
I have one in Northern NJ but dont use it as a winter car.
That being said.
They are getting more rare around here and finding a nonrusted one is few and far between.
evan in a wrecking yard
If you could get a good body all thing eles could be fixed.

and as far as keeping it running.
all older cars require extra TLC

#6 ·
Rust is the only real issue. My 92, which I bought new, had 308K miles on it when it rusted out too much to fix by 2009. I found a 93 in the Hudson Valley that year, bought it for $850, then paid $3200 for rust repair and remediation at a professional shop - rebuilt rockers and rear quarters from scratch, sandblast, epoxy rustproofer, and Ziebart. Holding up fine 3 1/2 years later, has 212K miles on it now. I blew a head gasket last year, probably the original, and fixed it myself for under $200, including new timing belt, water pump, hoses, coolant. I also had a left inner tie rod and the ball joints replaced. I replaced a bad wheel cylinder and brake lines myself. Other than that, it's been normal maintenance. Cost for everything works out to 28 cents per mile to own and operate, which beats most cars on the road today.

#8 ·
That's what I did in 2009. I've put 60K miles on the car since, and my cost per mile has been amortized down to 28 cents per mile. That's about as low as it gets for any car. There's no apparent reason why I can't drive it for another 10 years.

#10 ·
The rockers rusted out completely on both sides. I tried fixing them with sheet metal in 2004. The hood rusted out like Swiss cheese all along the front edge and near the latch. I patched it there, too. By 2007 the entire rear crossmember had completely rotted out, so that I could yank scales down off it and insert my entire arm. There were two holes in the floorpan a few inches square each. The bottom edges of both doors rotted up to the bottom of the interior panels. I patched all this, and had a small welding business chop out the rear crossmember and crudely fabricate a new one for $750. Then the gas tank sprang a leak at the welded seam. I put a new tank in, with all new parts - pump, sending unit, etc. The hood rotted again, so close to the latch that I was told I would fail inspection. I bought a used hood in NJ in 2008 for $300. By 2009, the rockers had rotted out again, and the RF fender had rotted at the bottom rear edge, and the doors were rotting again. I had over 300K miles on it and had put too much money into it, piecemeal. I looked for another Daytona and found a 1993 in the Hudson Valley. It had some rocker and rear quarter rot, also, with bondo, and the exhaust and brakes needed replacement. I towed it home, and by then had finally found a shop 50 miles from home that did rust restoration. I decided to get rid of it all at once and then I would not have to worry again or spend weekends slaving over these repairs. $4000 for a good, rustfree car seemed attractive, especially when I could not find a new car that I liked.

The 1992 sat in the driveway for 15 months while I picked it apart and saved what I could for the 1993. I have an entire spare driveline and some interior parts, so it will be even cheaper to fix the 1993 as the years go by.

#11 ·
I've had some good luck with my 1992. Dad signed for it and I paid for it in March of 1998. It had 57,xxx miles on it. 2.5l 5-speed. I replaced the head gasket at about 150,000 miles, and have done the usual brakes, oil changes, air filters, PCV valve, and other normal wear-and-tear items. It is now well over 225,000, I don't know exactly how many miles because the odometer stopped at 186,571 years ago. Currently, it's sitting in my driveway with no brakes, little-to-no drivers' side floorboard, rusted rocker panels, and just worn out. It made a trip to Savannah, GA in the winter of 2006-2007, and I haven't driven much since that drive, just here and there. I got an '88 Shelby Z about 3 years ago now. It spun a bearing last year due to a loss in oil pressure. Because of personal issues, it's been sitting waiting for a rebuild, which will be happening within the next month or so. End result: Take care of the vehicle, and it will love you back is my experience. I don't think my '88 was very well taken care of before I got it. I plan on changing that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.