Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Paul Wolfe Named Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Year
Leads No. 2 Penske Racing Team, driver Brad Keselowski to First Cup Series Championship

Roswell, GA (Nov. 28, 2012) - Coming off of a 2012 season that featured 5 wins, 13 top-5′s, 23 top-10′s and ended with a Sprint Cup Series Championship, Paul Wolfe, crew chief for the No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge, has been named the Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Year.

During the span of the final 10 races, the Wolfe led No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge notched exceptional results including eight top-10 finishes, including a win in the openingChase for the Sprint Cup race at Chicago and another two-weeks later at Dover. Entering the final race at Homestead the team needed a 15th place finish or better, and right on cue, they finished 15th and achieved a first Sprint Cup Series championship for Penske Racing and legendary team owner Roger Penske.

“I’m honored to be the 2012 Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Year and want to thank Kimberly-Clark Professional for recognizing the crew chiefs and teams in the garage,” said Wolfe, “The No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge and Penske Racing team put in a lot of hard work and countless hours in pursuit of this achievement and I’d like to accept this award on behalf of the entire Penske Racing organization.”

In the hunt for the top crew chief honor for 2012, Wolfe topped Chad Knaus, crew chief for the No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet and Darian Grubb, crew chief for the No. 11 FedEx Toyota. The trio of crew chiefs each took homeKimberly-Clark Professional Quarterly Crew Chief Spotlight awards and tied in total Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Race awards with five each.
“Paul made some calculated yet brave calls during the entire year, but especially during the title run,” said Claire B. Lang, host of “Dialed In” on SiriusXM NASCAR Channel 90 and voting panel member. “The team had a mountain of pressure on them to get that first championship for Roger (Penske), and they prevailed. Paul led a young team to something no one else had done for Roger, and that was to be at the top of the mountain in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.”

“Paul, the No. 2 team and Brad never panicked when it was ‘go time,’” said Jeff Hammond, NASCAR on FOX and Speed analyst and former championship winning crew chief. “Paul had the weight of the world on him but it never showed coming down the stretch. They led laps, won races and secured the best finishes they could in every race this year. Listen, Paul was battling two former winners of the Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Year in Knaus and Grubb, but he delivered.”
Wolfe is being presented a $10,000 check and trophy from Kimberly-Clark Professional for winning the award.
“Congratulations to crew chief Paul Wolfe for being recognized as the Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Year,” said Stephanie Rossignol, Business Leader for Kimberly-Clark Professional. “We are proud to recognize the hard work by Paul and all the crew chiefs each and every week. He and Penske Racing have been a strong supporter of our program and a partner who knows first-hand the value of our exceptionalproducts and people.”

Wolfe joins a list of prominent crew chiefs that have won the Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Yearaward including two-time winner Chad Knaus, Darian Grubb, Gil Martin, Mike Ford, Tony Eury Sr., Robbie Reiser, and Doug Richert.

About the Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief Challenge

Each week a Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Race award is voted on by the expert panel of Wolfe, Todd Gordon, crew chief for the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Dodge, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio host Claire B. Lang and FOX/Speed analyst and former championship winning crew chief Jeff Hammond. The panel recognizes which crew chief in the Sprint Cup Series demonstrates the most exceptional strategy and leadership after each of the 36 Sprint Cup Series points-paying races. Each week, the Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Race is invited as guest on the SiriusXM NASCAR Ch. 90′s “Dialed In” program with host Claire B. on Wednesday’s throughout the season and is provided a Kimberly-Clark Professionalproduct bundle which features the WypAll and Jackson Safety brands. Each weekly winner became eligible to be named one of four Kimberly-Clark Professional Quarterly Crew Chief Spotlight award winners and put them into contention for the Kimberly-Clark Professional Crew Chief of the Year award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ixWB6eGWSV4

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
:1st: ........I gatta say that it really hurt to see the 2013 cars make a showing and the charger wasn't part if it..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
783 Posts
con383 said:
:1st: ........I gatta say that it really hurt to see the 2013 cars make a showing and the charger wasn't part if it..... :rolleyes:
I think the entire situation sucks, we win the championship, finally my favorite driver wins a championship under the Dodge Charger banner and it might be the last time we see it. No defense of the championship, just tuck our tails and whimper off in the distance. The bad part is that I fell lied to by the Dodge people. Mayboe one day we will know the truth but this is bittersweet, a championship that now that it is over we have nothing to look forward to.....

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
SXT Charger said:
I think the entire situation sucks, we win the championship, finally my favorite driver wins a championship under the Dodge Charger banner and it might be the last time we see it. No defense of the championship, just tuck our tails and whimper off in the distance. The bad part is that I fell lied to by the Dodge people. Mayboe one day we will know the truth but this is bittersweet, a championship that now that it is over we have nothing to look forward to.....
[sarc]
Dart GRC! It's like motocross with a roll cage, brah!

Oh, and AMA Supercross featuring Dodge logos, 'cause Dodge totally sells dirt bikes and is an excellent correlation to product on the showroom floor! And Ricky "The GOAT" Carmichael is a part of the team now! I know!
[/sarc]

:lol: Can you sense my enthusiasm?

It's a bit depressing to see the other three makes being mentioned for 2013, while Dodge is seemingly already an afterthought - or rather, a non-thought; everyone's already moved on. This ceremony is quite literally the last stop for Dodge on the NASCAR locomotive. After tonight, we all step off and wave adios to the fruit of years of frustration and trial/error.

Even Paretta showed slight frustration this week at the lack of Dodge being mentioned. All I could do was smile and think, welcome to the world where the rest of us Mopar people outside Auburn Hills HQ have lived in for [at least] the past few years.

It was nice seeing Ralph there and seeming genuinely enthusiastic/emotional, but ultimately I have little faith that anything will change in the next few years. I also found it amusing that he was seated right behind Jack Roush.

Once again, Roger Penske demonstrates true class and integrity. I always say it because it's always true: any time he speaks, I stop in my tracks and listen. His influence is clearly being rubbed off on Keselowski, as he is also showing the same traits as Mr. Penske. It's quite a sight to behold, the chemistry and genuine affection between everyone on that team.

It was quite surreal seeing all the great compliments and accolades being thrown towards Brad from fellow established Champion drivers, from Stewart to Johnson to Gordon and everyone in between. Tony's comment about the late Jim France being proud of Brad's style was just magnificent.

As much as I hope for Penske's Ford project to go bust, you can't keep good people down for very long.

It's been a great ride with the Penske team - one that never should have ended. That said, at least it was a fruitful relationship that resulted in many firsts and got Penske on the road to becoming a legitimate weekly/yearly contender.

No matter how much time passes, or if/when they return, this situation will always leave me with a bit of a sour taste. If they do ever return within the next 25 years, I figure I still won't be happy with their decision with regards as to whom they partner with, unless it's Penske. We lost a great thing. Just glad that we got to see the partnership get to the highest peak before Penske goes to the real dark side. Five years from now, I still fully expect Dodge to offer Penske the deal they should have offered this year.

No intent in turning this into yet another whinefest, just figured it was a proper place to reflect on Champions week. It was a great week seeing our Champion being crowned and all the festivities that went along with it.

Now everybody wave as the NASCAR train rolls away and we're left with... um, more "relevant" motorsports, I guess? :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's a bit depressing to see the other three makes being mentioned for 2013, while Dodge is seemingly already an afterthought - or rather, a non-thought; everyone's already moved on. This ceremony is quite literally the last stop for Dodge on the NASCAR locomotive. After tonight, we all step off and wave adios to the fruit of years of frustration and trial/error.

Even Paretta showed slight frustration this week at the lack of Dodge being mentioned. All I could do was smile and think, welcome to the world where the rest of us Mopar people outside Auburn Hills HQ have lived in for [at least] the past few years.

It was nice seeing Ralph there and seeming genuinely enthusiastic/emotional, but ultimately I have little faith that anything will change in the next few years. I also found it amusing that he was seated right behind Jack Roush.

Once again, Roger Penske demonstrates true class and integrity. I always say it because it's always true: any time he speaks, I stop in my tracks and listen. His influence is clearly being rubbed off on Keselowski, as he is also showing the same traits as Mr. Penske. It's quite a sight to behold, the chemistry and genuine affection between everyone on that team.

It was quite surreal seeing all the great compliments and accolades being thrown towards Brad from fellow established Champion drivers, from Stewart to Johnson to Gordon and everyone in between. Tony's comment about the late Jim France being proud of Brad's style was just magnificent.

As much as I hope for Penske's Ford project to go bust, you can't keep good people down for very long.

It's been a great ride with the Penske team - one that never should have ended. That said, at least it was a fruitful relationship that resulted in many firsts and got Penske on the road to becoming a legitimate weekly/yearly contender.

No matter how much time passes, or if/when they return, this situation will always leave me with a bit of a sour taste. If they do ever return within the next 25 years, I figure I still won't be happy with their decision with regards as to whom they partner with, unless it's Penske. We lost a great thing. Just glad that we got to see the partnership get to the highest peak before Penske goes to the real dark side. Five years from now, I still fully expect Dodge to offer Penske the deal they should have offered this year.

No intent in turning this into yet another whinefest, just figured it was a proper place to reflect on Champions week. It was a great week seeing our Champion being crowned and all the festivities that went along with it.

Now everybody wave as the NASCAR train rolls away and we're left with... um, more "relevant" motorsports, I guess? :lol:[/quote]

Very well written couldn't agree more. Next year the only time we will Dodge mentioned is when BK's Ford blows up and one of those goofy announcers says "don't forget last year he was in a Dodge they are not used to this happening". At least this is my only hope.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

https://twitter.com/RalphGilles/status/274737127756005376/photo/1

https://twitter.com/BethParetta/status/274732443536326656/photo/1

https://twitter.com/RalphGilles/status/274732415476449281/photo/1

https://twitter.com/BethParetta/status/274731329306906624/photo/1

https://twitter.com/RalphGilles/status/274730963697823744/photo/1

Even GM & Chevrolet mentioned a shoutout to Dodge for winning the Championship!

beth paretta@BethParetta to Mark Reuss of GM.

Would be awesome for someone to mention Dodge just once. Even in passing. Accidentally. Just once?

mreuss@GMdudeinNA

@BethParetta I am doing just that tonight! Congrats team Dodge.

beth paretta@BethParetta

Chevrolet deservedly won manufacturer's championship for 2012. Mark Reuss @GMdudeinNA gave Dodge a great shout out in his speech. Thank you!

mreuss@GMdudeinNA

Congrats to Roger P, Brad K, and Dodge for the Championship tonight! Well done!

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
" Even Paretta showed slight frustration this week at the lack of Dodge being mentioned."

Isn't that her job? Where are the big ads in the newspaper sports sections? She should be milking this for all it's worth. Brad dosen't show up @ Daytona in a Ford till February.

Several kudos for Dodge from Penske and Brad at the awards ceremony aknowledged by Gilles who was seated back in the boondocks somewhere. I never sat through one of these before (Over 3 hours of worthless small talk, contests and lame jokes probably a good reason why) but doesn't the champion's manufacturer get to speak and congratulate their driver??? Especially galling after I had to listen to the PRESIDENT of GM's North American operations prattle on for over 10 minutes about his fabulous Chevys and fawn over his poster boy drivers.

BTW, there were several minutes of commercials every hour from Nascar or their store featuring pictures of the #2 Dodge. That's free publicity for Dodge, a fringe benefit for winning the championship since their own marketing dept seems to be falling down on the job.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Beentherebefore said:
" Even Paretta showed slight frustration this week at the lack of Dodge being mentioned."

Isn't that her job? Where are the big ads in the newspaper sports sections? She should be milking this for all it's worth. Brad dosen't show up @ Daytona in a Ford till February.

Several kudos for Dodge from Penske and Brad at the awards ceremony aknowledged by Gilles who was seated back in the boondocks somewhere. I never sat through one of these before (Over 3 hours of worthless small talk, contests and lame jokes probably a good reason why) but doesn't the champion's manufacturer get to speak and congratulate their driver??? Especially galling after I had to listen to the PRESIDENT of GM's North American operations prattle on for over 10 minutes about his fabulous Chevys and fawn over his poster boy drivers.

BTW, there were several minutes of commercials every hour from Nascar or their store featuring pictures of the #2 Dodge. That's free publicity for Dodge, a fringe benefit for winning the championship since their own marketing dept seems to be falling down on the job.
Caught between a rock and a hard place. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Totally agree that Paretta isn't doing he job...whatever that is... Any lack of promotion, which is supposedly her job, any lack of a marketing campaign, promotions, etc should have been her job. She may lament Dodge marketing cutting back their funding, but that's why she has thumbs, twits on Twitter are free. Posting on Facebook is free. He ll Beth, posting here is free. Get off your butt and put the word out. Handing out hats in Victory Lane is just the start of your duties.

As for the remarks by GM President Reuss, he was the first podium speaker to acknowledge Dodge, he mentioned Dodge twice.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MoparNorm said:
As for the remarks by GM President Reuss, he was the first podium speaker to acknowledge Dodge, he mentioned Dodge twice.
He was asked by Beth Paretta to do so & he agreed. Have to give respect to Mark Reuss for doing this. Chevy was gracious that night at losing as they are in winning.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Call me negative, but what good is there to marketing that you won a championship in a series that you are no longer involved in?

We are the champions, we are the champions
no time for losers, cuz we won't be here next year... But we are the champions, of the world.

Clearly SRT has little say in the reality of how marketing money was/is spent on NASCAR: they were the poster children, the face of Dodge Motorsports/NASCAR, and Bigland held the purse string. They can't do anything without Bigland and he clearly walked away.

That's why SRT and Paretta are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If it isn't Dart racing or Viper they have no say and no money for it. Their hands are tied. All Ralph could do was watch it slip away. Kicked to the curb as one if the greatest years in Dodge/Mopar Motorpsorts happened around him.

I feel bad for them both honestly... There appears to be a real internal war at Chrysler. But, all those Dart ads everywhere...

Mike

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike V. said:
I feel bad for them both honestly... There appears to be a real internal war at Chrysler. But, all those Dart ads everywhere...

Mike
Some of those Dart ads are pretty good though. LOL.

I wouldn't say there is a "internal war" at Chrysler but rather a difference of opinion of how Motorsports programs are to be run. Sergio wants to bring a European flavor to the American motorsports landscape & our past success in this has fueled this effort. He doesn't understand stock car racing or drag racing & refuses to give in to the American way we do things here. Beth Paretta is a well known F-1 & open wheel fan, & Ralph Gilles is a more of a sports car racing enthusiast. All people combined, this is why Charger & Challenger nameplates won't have anywhere to race (except in Canada & in ARCA) for 2013, 2014!

I really want to get TSN broadcasts right now! Still looking for a way to get their motorsports programming!

For the record, it was said here that Reid Bigland DID want to stay in NASCAR! (forgot who said that)

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Mike V. said:
Call me negative, but what good is there to marketing that you won a championship in a series that you are no longer involved in?

Mike
Are you kidding? Milk it for all it's worth. No one can ever take the 2012 CHAMPIONSHIP away from Dodge, regardless of what they do next year. This is as big as it gets in US auto racing. It doesn't hurt to keep reminding Nascar fans for at least two more months. Even non-Nascar fans would take note of Charger-Nascar-champion ads in media and auto publications. IMO, it also dilutes publicity that Ford might get out of showing the #2 next year, should they have a year that Ford feels like tooting off about.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I wouldn't make too much out of that. His 12 factory supported Chevys just got spanked this year and it would have been a glaring omission had he not mentioned Dodge.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Beentherebefore said:
Are you kidding? Milk it for all it's worth. No one can ever take the 2012 CHAMPIONSHIP away from Dodge, regardless of what they do next year. This is as big as it gets in US auto racing. It doesn't hurt to keep reminding Nascar fans for at least two more months. Even non-Nascar fans would take note of Charger-Nascar-champion ads in media and auto publications. IMO, it also dilutes publicity that Ford might get out of showing the #2 next year, should they have a year that Ford feels like tooting off about.
Sadly, in the state NASCAR is in... I disagree. NASCAR has fallen off sharply. It's the last year of the "template" race car, etc. etc.

It's a 50/50 for me. They already got their Big Bang and are riding off into the sunset. The marketing money was spent back in July/August and there is nothing left.

They rolled the dice and they lost. There is nothing to milk. We won a championship... But we won't be defending it. Why milk that?

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Mike V. said:
Sadly, in the state NASCAR is in... I disagree. NASCAR has fallen off sharply. It's the last year of the "template" race car, etc. etc.

It's a 50/50 for me. They already got their Big Bang and are riding off into the sunset. The marketing money was spent back in July/August and there is nothing left.

They rolled the dice and they lost. There is nothing to milk. We won a championship... But we won't be defending it. Why milk that?

Mike
Actually Mike, I strongly disagree.
It has NOTHING to do with the fans (millions) who still follow NASCAR, it has everything to do with good and creative marketing ...and Chrysler is EXCEPTIONALLY weak at marketing their advantages.
Just as an example consider this: Toyota paid to have their Tundra tow the Space Shuttle in LA. The Shuttle was towed about 300', the truck was highly modified and likely ruined during the effort.
In marketing NONE of that matters, it's all about the narrative. Toyota now has a series of commercials out, touting the event and stretching the narrative into sales, without getting into the facts.
Buyer, "Do you have a truck that can tow my boat?"
Girl at dealership, " the Tundra towed the 350,000 lb Space Shuttle, how much does your boat weight?"

Cute, funny and makes a BIG point without bothering about GCVW, or the minutia of facts. It's marketing and its good, don't we all wish it had been a Ram? Sadly Chrysler Marketing isn't that creative.
You see just because Chrysler Marketing in inept doesn't mean there wasn't marketing Gold in winning the Cup. 80% of America doesn't know that Dodge won't be back next year and that certainly is not important to the marketing narrative that Dodge is the 2012 NASCAR Cup Championship car.
I can guarantee that had anyone but Dodge won, we would already see a series of year end commercials touting that achievement.
Chrysler is not leaving NHRA, where are those commercials?
Frankly the foreigners running Chrysler are in over their heads.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Actually Mike, I strongly disagree.
It has NOTHING to do with the fans (millions) who still follow NASCAR, it has everything to do with good and creative marketing ...and Chrysler is EXCEPTIONALLY weak at marketing their advantages.
Just as an example consider this: Toyota paid to have their Tundra tow the Space Shuttle in LA. The Shuttle was towed about 300', the truck was highly modified and likely ruined during the effort.
In marketing NONE of that matters, it's all about the narrative. Toyota now has a series of commercials out, touting the event and stretching the narrative into sales, without getting into the facts.
Buyer, "Do you have a truck that can tow my boat?"
Girl at dealership, " the Tundra towed the 350,000 lb Space Shuttle, how much does your boat weight?"

Cute, funny and makes a BIG point without bothering about GCVW, or the minutia of facts. It's marketing and its good, don't we all wish it had been a Ram? Sadly Chrysler Marketing isn't that creative.
You see just because Chrysler Marketing in inept doesn't mean there wasn't marketing Gold in winning the Cup. 80% of America doesn't know that Dodge won't be back next year and that certainly is not important to the marketing narrative that Dodge is the 2012 NASCAR Cup Championship car.
I can guarantee that had anyone but Dodge won, we would already see a series of year end commercials touting that achievement.
Chrysler is not leaving NHRA, where are those commercials?
Frankly the foreigners running Chrysler are in over their heads.
I won't deny they are over their heads... But I don't see any correlation between a the bullpoopies space shuttle tow and winning the championship of a series they won't defend.

Mike

1 - 20 of 41 Posts