Allpar Forums banner
181 - 200 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I appreciate your effort on the rendering. I've submitted a few, but have gotten savaged in the past by those who just didn't like my submission. So, I applaud you for submitting. That said, when/if the Imperial ever comes back, I hope they have the courage to make it a proper sedan, instead of another me-too, '4-door coupe' look-alike. In '05, they bucked the fwd, cab-forward, jellybean trend with the 300, and it was a huge success. A new Imperial, if it ever happens (or any new Chrysler standard-bearer, for that matter), needs to stand out, not blend in. Just my opinion.
Totally agree !!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Hmm I don't think I saw it. Chrysler needs to one up every vehicle they make to seem better than the competition.
I just made it a slightly different version of the Grand Cherokee L without all the lines, and it would be based on the higher trim, and maybe slightly longer and lighter. It could be more like 122 inches instead of 120. (Newport SUV)

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
Quick question. Wasn't the Newport a base trim level that came from DeSoto?
Newport was a model trim for Chrysler before DeSoto was discontinued. They marketed the 1961 Newport to DeSoto customers, but it was really a decontented Windsor and in '62 a decontented 300. (or the 300 had become a sport version of the Newport is more accurate given the sales numbers) The 1960 DeSoto was just a Chrysler Windsor with a different grill and badges (which is what the Newport was as well). In 1965 New Yorker downsized and Newport upsized so that from '65 on Newport was just a decontented New Yorker, and 300 got the same 124" wheelbase and continued as basically a sport version of the Newport it was since 1962. (Previously it had been essentially a sport version of the New Yorker, although it had its own nose until 1960. '55-'56 was basically an Imperial nose on a New Yorker body.)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Idk.

View attachment 85241

It would have fewer body lines, be slightly larger and lighter than the GCL.
Not bad. I would just leave the emblem in the front do body colored mirrors.
Newport was a model trim for Chrysler before DeSoto was discontinued. They marketed the 1961 Newport to DeSoto customers, but it was really a decontented Windsor and in '62 a decontented 300. (or the 300 had become a sport version of the Newport is more accurate given the sales numbers) The 1960 DeSoto was just a Chrysler Windsor with a different grill and badges (which is what the Newport was as well). In 1965 New Yorker downsized and Newport upsized so that from '65 on Newport was just a decontented New Yorker, and 300 got the same 124" wheelbase and continued as basically a sport version of the Newport it was since 1962. (Previously it had been essentially a sport version of the New Yorker, although it had its own nose until 1960. '55-'56 was basically an Imperial nose on a New Yorker body.)

Thanks for clarifying. I knew DeSoto had something to do with the Newport.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
I came across this article about the Nissan IMs concept, which is supposed to become the next generation Maxima. Taller sedan that sits like a crossover, and a liftback trunk. Same idea as my Imperial.

It is a sedan with a belt line around the armpits. At least it has round car style wheel arches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK. AWD eliminates wheel spin! I own a 2017 300C and AWD was discontinued on these Hemi cars in 2017 but optional on the six. Because of the torque and HP of the Hemi, I have to be very careful when moving out on wet roads. Engaging the no-skid button doesn't do all that much. I should have kept my 2014. Eliminating AWD on the V-8 gets you one mpg more because of the weight saving to go along with the wheel slip. That's why the Hemi should have AWD. True, you can get AWD on the six, but have you driven a six after years on the V-8. I have and the six is a dog by comparison.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
1,962 Posts
OK. AWD eliminates wheel spin! I own a 2017 300C and AWD was discontinued on these Hemi cars in 2017 but optional on the six. Because of the torque and HP of the Hemi, I have to be very careful when moving out on wet roads. Engaging the no-skid button doesn't do all that much. I should have kept my 2014. Eliminating AWD on the V-8 gets you one mpg more because of the weight saving to go along with the wheel slip. That's why the Hemi should have AWD. True, you can get AWD on the six, but have you driven a six after years on the V-8. I have and the six is a dog by comparison.
Makes sense then.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Newport was always a Chrysler. I even had a Newport Royal (71) which was the base base model. Only came with the 360.
You're correct. What confused me was what the Newport had to do with the DeSoto brand. So from what I read they tried to lure DeSoto shoppers into Chrysler with that car. Thanks for the additional info. Some of the hierarchy of brands from GM and Chrysler were a little confusing.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,895 Posts
You're correct. What confused me was what the Newport had to do with the DeSoto brand. So from what I read they tried to lure DeSoto shoppers into Chrysler with that car. Thanks for the additional info. Some of the hierarchy of brands from GM and Chrysler were a little confusing.
Pricing went down to compete with Dodge too.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,122 Posts
squishing a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Wagoneer and slapping a giant Chrysler wing logo on it does not = new model. If you want to use those bodies so bad, Don't bother squishing 'em and just call it a Chrysler Aspen.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
squishing a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Wagoneer and slapping a giant Chrysler wing logo on it does not = new model. If you want to use those bodies so bad, Don't bother squishing 'em and just call it a Chrysler Aspen.
I don't believe it was squished, it's a different angle. I would know because the wheels would become ovals, which I try not to do.

That being said, They should make their own on road, soft feeling adaptations of some Jeep models- GCL and GW only would be fine, with more Chrysler design language. (Art deco, different color palate) to get people ready for the Airflow and future Chrysler EVs. They can use these slight reskins as a focus on design and quality.

181 - 200 of 254 Posts