Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Chrysler 300C (V6, RWD version) - it starts out nice and smooth, which makes mechanics' test drives somewhat invalid, but as time goes on the car gets bouncier and bouncier and sometimes it feels like there are severe ruts in smooth roads. Trying to figure out the problem - suspension checks out OK with no worn bushings, leaky shocks, etc. Wheels all balanced and then balance checked; wheels checked for roundness. No apparent tire damage. Tire pressure at 32 psi. Any thoughts on possible issues? @ImperialCrown if you're around... I have to take it on a rather long road trip soon and would prefer to keep my fillings in my teeth.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,506 Posts
If you drive the car for a spell before stopping at the shop, can you call ahead to arrange a road test with an advisor or technician as soon as you arrive there? Does it still do the bouncy ride after stopping for a few minutes?
Is the ride always normal after sitting for a few hours or the next day?

Brakes aren't dragging? Sometimes hot brakes will stick worse as it is driven.
Otherwise I would think shocks?

·
Administrator
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can do that. The ride is usually normal after this. Brakes should not be dragging - there was no extra wear on any of the pads. I was thinking shocks ... would they show any signs?

It's hard because this happens at higher speeds, too, and the easier-to-work-with mechanic is in the middle of suburbs. I will try to get into the shop today while it's hot. Good idea. I'll see about the bouncy ride after stoppnig a few minutes... I think it still does that.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was also thinking maybe the tires got a flat spot or had some subterranean issue of some sort...

·
Super Moderator
24,506 Posts
Tires flat-spots or a shifted belt (lump) might cause a rhythmic thump while driving. Have it looked over for the trip.

·
Administrator
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would either of these show up on the balancing machine?

Could any of this be done by the first group of incompetent Mavis Tire buffoons I asked to balance the tires? (I had to have them all rebalanced elsewhere.)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I had an issue with my 06 charger that I finally traced to tires. I had them balanced and re balanced and checked again. Tires had plenty of tread, and no obvious defects. Everything felt like bad tires, but even rotating them didn’t change how they acted. How could all 4 tires be bad? But they were. 4 new tires, problem solved. Got a friend willing to swap wheels with you to experiment?

·
Administrator
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had an issue with my 06 charger that I finally traced to tires. I had them balanced and re balanced and checked again. Tires had plenty of tread, and no obvious defects. Everything felt like bad tires, but even rotating them didn’t change how they acted. How could all 4 tires be bad? But they were. 4 new tires, problem solved. Got a friend willing to swap wheels with you to experiment?
Hmmm... not with 18 inch wheels. Shame the Dart and Sebring have 16 inchers... thinking... I'm the only Lx driver I know. I'll ask a friend about his minivan. I am increasingly suspecting the tires. If I had time, which I don't, I'd get two of them replaced. Could be slipped treads. But would that affect them more hot than cold?

·
Super Moderator
24,506 Posts
With the car on a lift and slowly spinning the wheel, a lump or distortion of the tire should be visible.

·
Administrator
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I finally got through to the dealer (they have phone system issues) and Carlos took a ride with me - he says one possible front suspension issue and almost certainly at least one tire/wheel issue. He'll investigate tomorrow morning and hopefully fix it before I have to go. I've been thinking it must be a tire issue. Some people have "the feel" ... I'll keep you updated. If it costs me a couple of tires, I can live with that.

·
Super Moderator
24,506 Posts
If it is in cadence with wheel speed and gets worse with temperature, it is likely tires. A bent rim may 'shake' when warm or cold.
On a road test, I take a look at the cars around me to get an idea of how fast my wheels are turning. If it is in time with my shake, it is likely at wheel speed (once per revolution).
It can be deceptive as CV axles & half shafts turn at the same speed as wheels.
The frt-rear propeller shaft in RWD/AWD turns about 3 times wheel speed (allowing for a 3:1 final drive ratio).
A tire rotation can be a good diagnostic tool. The position of a bad tire will change the feel. Rear tire defects can be felt in the seat or floor. Sometimes the whole car shakes.

·
Registered
1986 LeBaron convertible, 2.2L T2 with A413. 1989 J convertible dash and console modified to fit.
1,282 Posts
Dave, I feel for you on this one. I had a big old beast (1971 Mercury Colony Park) that had a cyclic shake that would make the front end of that 5500 lb car dance. I finally after several trips to the tire shop, filled it up, had my wife follow me and handed the keys to the manager (who was a friend) and told him, it's full of gas, drive it until you find the problem.

He had to take two farm tractor tires to another store and took the wagon, sweeping 55 mph right hand curve and halfway around it started shaking, he said even knowing it could happen it scared him. Ended up being shifted belts in the radials, no external evidence.

I hope they get yours resolved!

·
Administrator
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I think if I had had more time, and better tire shops, I would have tried swapping out all four tires earlier... I had shifting belts in my last Dart tires, Tire Rack honored their guarantee.

·
Administrator
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... and ... 90% of the problem is gone - it was the wheels. The rest should be cleared up when we have time to replace any loose suspension bits.

·
Super Moderator
24,506 Posts
You can balance an egg. Shake or shimmy can become very annoying.
I've become a believer in Road Force Positioning & Balancing for a new set of tires. At speed, all I feel is the road surface.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Thanks for the info and video on road force balancing, Walt. I've never heard of it, but the next time I go to get my tires balanced, I'm going to ask about it.

·
Super Moderator
24,506 Posts
Shocks can remain dry on the outside and still be worn on the inside. The LX can have worn suspension joints that may or may not be noisy over bumps or on turns.

Any 'lumpy' tires have to be fixed first. New shocks can't dampen-out the shake of an irregular tire very well.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln
1 - 20 of 31 Posts