Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2005 pt cruiser I had a code of P0340 which was my camshaft sensor so I replaced the sensor but my check engine light is still on? Do I need to reset my cars como system or could it be something else? All other parts of car are fine just had it smogged last week

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,887 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Has it had any recent timing belt service? Does it seem to run OK?
The timing marks must be aligned 'spot-on'. A mirror and a small straight-edge may help to verify correct timing as one has to somehow get a straight-ahead view of the cam sproket marks which is difficult under the hood of a PT. There should be an inspection cover you can remove on the top cover to observe the marks. The #1 piston must be at TDC.

Did you replace the sensor with an OEM part? Some aftermarket sensors can cause issues.
Look for a Mopar 5093508AA or equivalent.
Belt replacement service interval is at 102K miles (165K km).

Note that in the Possible Causes list below, an intermittent Crankshaft position sensor (CKP) can throw a Camshaft position sensor (CMP) fault code. You would want to verify this first, as it rarely occurs.

Check the engine compartment wiring harness for rub-throughs between the PCM and the sensors. Pay particular attention to where a harness may be in contact with a metal bracket, sharp edge, etc.
After 16 years of vibration, a bracket, bolt head, etc. can 'saw' through insulation and ground out wires. These rub-throughs can be 'hidden' (see image at bottom).

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Did you replace it yourself or have it done somewhere? Sometimes people over torque them and fracture the magnet behind the plate where they sit. Or, maybe you just need to clear the code and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2005 pt cruiser I had a code of P0340 which was my camshaft sensor so I replaced the sensor but my check engine light is still on? Do I need to reset my cars como system or could it be something else? All other parts of car are fine just had it smogged last week
I've had issues with aftermarket Cam sensors on my PT. However, the car ran lousy as well. If it is running fine, than I would try just clearing the code first and seeing if it comes back.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4 Hemi
1,909 Posts
If it happens once and awhile, it's a wire rubbed through like what @ImperialCrown said. That's what happened to me. If you do any mods or move things around in the engine bay is why this happens. For me it was a wiring harness close to the firewall that rubbed through due to the aftermarket air clear installed.

Welcome to Allpar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.