Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading Jeremy Schrag's excellent Infinity stereo articles, I decided that an Infinity III head unit would be a good one to put in my '85 Dodge 600. I will probably never use the tape deck feature, but figure such a unit is good for in a convertible as who would want to steal a cassette deck? Also, I plan to use a Sirius tuner in the car and the Infinity III has a rear input DIN connector that I think can handle this duty.

Here's the question: I've located two Infinity III units in local boneyards that seem to be intact and in physically good condition. One is in a Chrysler with a build date of 4-94 and the other with a build date of 3-95. Would the newer unit have fewer known bugs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
The newer unit would be less likely to suffer from bad solder joints. These are known for them.

Make sure you don't buy a changer control model by accident (preset buttons would have disc up and down printing on them) - the DIN connector on the back of those will not allow an auxiliary input like the Infinity III units will.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, The two units I'm looking at are identical Infinity's and have FF/TAPE/RW, SEEK, SCAN, TIME/PROG buttons and plain numbered pre-sets so I should be good.

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I headed to the U-Pull-It today and snagged the Infinity III out of a big '95 Chrysler. They charged me $20 with a guarantee that it would work. Another yard had the '94 version for $10 but this one was physically cleaner and looked nearly new.

I got it home and plugged it into my '85 K-car and it works like a champ! No noise in any of the controls and it has good radio reception. The display works and all lights on the equalizer buttons light up - but I'll have to wait until night to check the rest of the lamps. I didn't try the cassette deck and maybe never will. I ordered an 8 pin DIN connector off of eBay so my next step will be to rig an auxiliary input so the XM/Sirius radio I have will play through the unit.

One stupid question: Does anyone know how to set the time on this thing?

Bill

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
There should be two small holes on the display with the letters "H" and "M" beside them. These are the time set buttons. Use the tip of a pen to push them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I feel dumb! Yes, that's how you set the time and I saw those holes. I was reading about an earlier model Infinity and got confused. I like the 'H' and 'M' switches as they are so easy - once I remember they are there. I have a Pioneer unit in my Caravan and it's really involved to set the time.

I just went out after sundown to check the lamps in the head unit. Everything lights up so it seems (so far) like I got a good one.

Thanks, O.W.!

Bill

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Check your amplifier fuse in the fuse block... if the amp gets no power, you'll get total silence from all speakers. If the fuse is good, there may be issues with the connectors on the amp or the amp itself.

When I bought my Imperial, I dealt with the same thing. The previous owner had ripped out the aftermarket deck that was in there and smashed it thinking it was the problem. I bought an Infinity III for it... no sound at all but the power antenna went up. Checked the amp fuse - someone had replaced it with one too small. Replaced it and the system worked just fine from then on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to contact Jeremy Schrag, anyone know how to do this? Wonder if he has a 1983 Quartz Lock AM-FM Cassette head he'd be willing to sell or trade. Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to this site so I don't know the protocols. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,941 Posts
He goes by the user name Oklahoma Wolf.

If he does not respond to this thread, try a PM. I'm not sure if you have to make a certain number of posts before you can PM.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
I don't have any of those older units left, sorry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts