Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a '95 B2500 Van conversion (Prime Time by Glaval) with the Infinity 4-speaker system and OEM stereo AM/FM Cassette. I can verify the system worked on all 4 speakers with the original stereo. I have now installed an aftermarket stereo (Pioneer DEH-11E) and damned if I can't get it to work. I've already popped off a million bits of trim to verify the wire colors of each speaker (the center 2 wires of each speaker should be the +/- from what I understand).

For whatever reason, only the right-front speaker works, and it sounds like only the tweeter functions because the output is weak and twangy. This system has it's own ground wire (plugs to the back of the OEM stereo) and both using that and just grounding it to the dash does not seem to change anything. I've gone through 4 times now to verify the speaker wires are correct, along with the switched and constand 12v supplies (strangely only supplying 11.8v but whatever). Is there something different I'm missing due to the Infinity system? The stereo I'm installing works for sure; it was in my old '91 van. I'm trying to avoid running new wires and buying new speakers (as in, I don't have money to buy new speakers). Any ideas what I could be missing? There are only 2 wires from the original harness (vehicle) not being used and I'm guessing they are for the backlighting and dimmer controls, so they shouldn't be required.
Thanks,
John

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
I don't know how the setup is on your van (single amp or an amp per speaker) but you likely are not getting power to the amp.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
The amp relay isn't turning on. In addition, it sounds like you have three blown tweeters. With the system wired properly, even if the amps don't come on you should get highs from all four speakers.

To turn the relay on that powers the four woofer amps, two things are required... the factory power antenna wire on the black 7 pin connector needs 12V from the remote amp turn on lead from the aftermarket deck, and that extra ground you spoke of must be grounded to the vehicle chassis.

Reactions: buba_zanetti

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow I never thought of the 3 tweeters being blown. That would make total sense. The only wire left on the black connector is a green with red trace. How do I verify that's the power antenna wire? The aftermarket stereo unit only has an RCA connector for external power amps... can I just splice it into the switched 12v wire to give it power without feedback or overheating the wire?
Thanks for the help. I was trying to figure out how these crossovers on the speakers got power, and why only one tweeter works. I have a much broader understanding already.
-John

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
On the end of the black connector? That's the one. Connect it to the power antenna/remote amp turn on lead from the aftermarket deck. There should be one. That factory power antenna wire needs 12V anytime the deck is on to power the amp relay.

The RCAs on the deck are for aftermarket amps - you wouldn't use those with the factory Infinity system.

For replacement speakers, IIRC those vans use only 6x9's - you can use the rear speakers from a second generation minivan as replacements. I find often their tweeters are still good at the yards. Not so much for the first gen minivans. 3rd gen doesn't work due to them moving the tweeters out into their own locations. Be careful removing these - often the glue that holds the tweeter rings on dries out and they want to fall apart when removed. I try to keep pressure on the front of the speaker as I remove them to keep them from doing that.

Reactions: buba_zanetti

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oklahoma Wolf said:
Connect it to the power antenna/remote amp turn on lead from the aftermarket deck. There should be one. That factory power antenna wire needs 12V anytime the deck is on to power the amp relay.

I got it!. There is a blue/white wire that I thought was for the remote control for the aftermarket deck. Well, it is that too actually, but it's main function is as you said, a system power amp control or auto antenna control.

Page 11:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-11E_OwnersManual0811.pdf

Lemmie go make some connections and see what happens. Yes, on the black connector on the factory wiring harness the only wire not spliced into is that green/red, and one other wire on the grey connector; I think it's a solid orange.
Thanks again for the help. I'll report back in awhile. I also have to pull the wheels and inspect the brakes, so it will be later in the day/evening.
-John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easy money. That's all it took. I never in a million years would have guessed the tweeters were blown.

So one last question on these speakers; are they any good? I noticed a tendency to drastically change tone as volume increases. At lower settings the bass is too high, and as volume goes up the bass begins to fall away, letting the highs come in. Increasing the bass on the EQ merely overdrives the speakers. Is this because mine are crap, or do they all do that? They're good enough for know that's for sure, but I need to make a trip to the boneyard anyway (I have no spare wheel and I need parts for another project car), so it wouldn't hurt for me to rummage through a minivan for speakers if they're cheaper than aftermarket replacements.

Thanks huge to the both of you. I was wondering how the amps were getting power, but I was stuck on "why don't all 4 speakers work" and wasn't going to get anywhere with that question.
Cheers,
-John

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
I think there are much better speakers out there. I have a 1999 Dakota R/T with the factory Infinity system. I had the same truck before this and kept trying to keep good speakers in the front doors but they were paper and did not hold up to the abuse in the door. I even stocked up on good door speakers during cash for clunkers.

When the first Dakota was totaled, the replacement truck had an aftermarket head unit and speakers. It didn't sound well and was hard to use so I went back with a stock head unit. Still sounded bad so I went to crutchfield.com and ordered new speakers (reasonably priced ones I think). Then I found out they had by passed the factory amp which kept blowing fuses. So I replaced the factory amp with a junkyard one and now with the factory AM/FM/CD/cassette, factory amp and aftermarket speakers it sounds good.

If you don't find good junkyard speakers, it may be worth contacting crutchfield as they don't have anything listed for the 1995 van like they did for my Dakota.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
They're ok in smaller vehicles, but in the big vans often aren't up to the job of filling all that space. The woofer amps are only good for 20 watts or so... you can only get so much from them. They won't replace a subwoofer unless you have a much smaller space to fill. If you want more bass, you'll probably have to add an amp and sub.

And if you have blown tweeters, the highs are going to be really weak no matter what you do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right on folks. Thanks for the info. Yeah the stock stereo unit seemed to do better than this aftermarket as far a sound quality goes, but then again I didnt crank it cery loud. This is still an improvement for me coming from the stock 2 speaker sound of my 91 cargo van, so Im in no rush to swap things out. With this van being used for long hauls Im more concerned with inspecting the mechanical bits and making sure the previous owner has taken proper care of it; there is a mixed bag of indicators as to how good the upkeep was.
Thanks for the answers both of you.

-John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts