Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Grand Voyager LE AWD with the infinity system .
I bought this for next winter it will strictly be a work van so as such i have no interest in hauling it all apart to replace speakers and rewire everything . The system in it sounds decent problem is no MP3 cabability obviously.
So i installed a JVC kd-g700 19RMS 50Peak watts stereo with the proper adapter and hooked up the blue wire to turn on the amps and after about 24 on the volume the amps start clipping at least what i assume is clipping the speakers will cut out randomly turn it down a bit all is well thought maybe the HU was bad it is an older HU that had given me grief before not like this though.
Tried the HU from my 02 caravan jvc kd-g230 20RMS 50Peak watts same thing ! tried turning the bass off that helped a bit but it still clips pretty bad at anything past half volume.
At this point im thinking the aftermarket HU's are putting too much voltage to the amps ? Thing is i have read about many people doing the same thing with no problems so any ideas what the cause could be ? As a side note i can crank up the factory HU as high as she will go with no clipping and very little distortion almost unnoticeable and the factory one will go a lot louder that the aftermarket ones will before they start clipping.
I am not against the idea of putting in another factory HU if i can get one that can handle MP3's without clipping or one that has an AUX jack to plug an MP3 player into if i have to rewire the HU wires that's fine i just dont want to start tearing panels off and upgrading speakers and rewiring everything .
I am open to any suggestionsto make this work short of tearing the van apart the cheaper the better :)

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Double check your wiring to be sure the aftermarket harness is wired properly. Sounds like the aftermarket head units are muting themselves for protection. The Infinity amps do have protection against getting too much signal... they just stop getting louder. But that shouldn't be an issue at half volume.

On the subject of power ratings, most if not all aftermarket decks are not really capable of outpowering the factory ones. Those 50 watt peak numbers are pure marketing, while the 20 watt number is the more honest one. The factory unit will be able to do that as well... most Chrysler decks since the 80's are pretty good for power output.

It should be mentioned that if the dash speakers are the only ones cutting out, there is a known issue with the bass blocker crossovers on the back of them going intermittent. Those can't be fixed, so the best way to deal with them is to just bypass them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out im an idiot . The wring was fine even tried another harness from my 96 Sport to be sure upon closer inspection there was a small ground wire that i missed that was plugged into the factory HU that i did not plug into the aftermarket one oops . Plugged it in problem solved sounds good now no clipping i am assumming that wire goes into the amps ? In any case thanks for the help :)

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
That wire grounds the amp relay - the woofer amps won't turn on without it. All your bass would have been coming from the dash speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts