Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member sold me a reconditioned EVIC, which I attempted to install in my 84 Daytona Turbo Z, in place of the chronometer that it came with. Wired it up per the FSM, and it didn't work. Researched on the internet and found a different pinout listed for 87+ (this was from an 88). I rewired the connector and it worked!

However, the two wires not provided in the factory harness were the fuel flow and speed sensor wires. They are located at the logic module, however. So I spliced in and brought the wires to the center stack, plugged them in and went for a ride. Full functionality!

The info provided is based on the gas gauge signal, the speed sensor and the HEP, which must be approximated to yield the fuel flow, based on known injector volume and firing rate. So it's as accurate as the constant that is provided for fuel flow from the injector, and the speed sensor.

As expected, a cold start and driving yielded about 9-11 mpg for the first half mile. Going back over that same stretch fully warm gave me 18-21 mpg. So it's a good approximation that cold driving gives about half the gas mileage that warm does. That's what I had already calculated, using algebra, for my last car.

Highest instantaneous reading was 58 mpg, lowest other than the zero at idle was 10 mpg while going at low speed in low gears. Average cruising at 35 mph in 5th gear around town was 35-36 mpg.

This suggests that getting the engine warmed up as quickly as possible is of the greatest benefit. No other repair, gimmick or adjustment will double your effective gas mileage.

Taking Kathi out in the car on date night tonight!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
Jolly good show Bob!

Enjoy your night out! We haven't had many nights out (hard to with 4 kids) , but we're almost an empty nest. Oldest (Diedra) is in her own apt as of last May, 2nd one (Amanda) is a senior at ODU, our son (Dylan) is in his first year of college (Patrick Henry Community College) and our last one, Autumn, is a freshman at high school. Almost there!

I agree on no other gimmick is effective in increasing your fuel mileage. I've found being as light on the throttle as possible is more effective.

·
King
3,488 Posts
as far as gas mileage goes...

I found being light on the brake also helps.
leave enough room between the guy in front of you
so your not starting from a dead stop everytime.
and driving at a steady speeds always helps.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been using all those tips for 35 years. Now I can fine tune gear selection, throttle position vs grade vs vacuum, etc. But cold operation, along with idling, are the big killers. I have one red light that lasts 70 seconds. If I get there as it changes red, I shut the engine off. Various articles say that 10 to 30 seconds is the break-even point where you use more gas idling than you do restarting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts