Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a 360 into my 1975 Valiant. I left the slant 6 k-member in place and used Schumacker's motor mounts.
This is the first time I have taken on this type of a project and I am fearing that I'm in way over my head.
I was told to install the motor and then the tranny. The motor is in, but it is not sitting square inside the compartment. Right to left is not out of level to bad, but front to back is way off. If I jack it up level then how do I get the tranny connected?

Should the hole motor be level, or is there supposed to be pitch?
How can I make the motor sit square inside the compartment ?
Does anyone have some tricks to save me?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spent half the day trying to get the tranny in, with no luck. I'm going to pull the motor next weekend and do as dana44 suggested.
Even if I have to remove the radiator bracket, it will still be easier than what I've been through this weekend.

The back of the motor is only an 1" off the fire wall. Is that normal? The distributor and wiper motor touch.

Tazdevil what do you mean by dump a quart of tranny fluid into the TC? Is the fluid being used a lubricant ?

The flexplate bolts that I used hit the block so I ground they down to fit. Now they are different lengths. On average an 1/8" different.
Do you think that this could cause a balance problem, or am I over thinking it?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bolts that are wrong and hitting was for the flex plate. I ordered 1/2" ones today. Not worth the risk of damage for 15.00.
I'm using a TCI stall converter. It came with installation instructions and from what I've read I think I've installed it correctly.
I am going to remove it and add the tranny flued.
I talked with Schumacker's today and they said it is not uncommon for a motor to sit cockeyed. As long as the tranny mount lines up then everything should be ok.
I'll let you guy know how I make out.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed the tranny and motor as one piece like you guys suggested. It could not have gone smother.
Everything lined up and even the motor is sitting square.
It took longer to bolt the tranny onto the motor than to install it.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kept checking to make sure it was al the way in. I check the distance with the directions that TCI sent.
Had to pull it forward about a 1/4" to meet up with the flex plate.
Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.