Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 87 Caravan. Looks like I'm going to have to replace this limiting device, which reduces from 12 Volts to 6 Volts for dimming the lights on the instrument cluster.

My question is: Where is the darn thing located??

Help Appreciated.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
. . . . Have an 87 Caravan. Looks like I'm going to have to replace this limiting device, which reduces from 12 Volts to 6 Volts for dimming the lights on the instrument cluster. My question is: Where is the darn thing located?? . . . .
There is a variable rheostat incorporated into the headlamp switch. As the switch shaft rotates it varies the amount of resistance and thus electrical current going to the instrument panel lamps. You have to remove the switch to gain access to the rheostat. You may be able to clean the contacts and get the instrument panel lamps to function. See attached image.

headlamp switch.gif

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With all due respects, this is not what I need.
Go here to see picture of the item:

Standard VRC601 Reman Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator Switch | eBay (at https://www.ebay.com/p/Standard-VRC601-Reman-Instrument-Cluster-Voltage-Regulator-Switch/215140559 )

It is present on just about all Chrysler vehicles from the '60's to the late 80's.

I don't see it on any breakout sheets from Chrysler. One dealership said it's behind instrument cluster. Not going to tear the car apart and not find it there. Need to be absolutely sure before I do (if that's where the dang thing is located.)

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
. . . Looks like I'm going to have to replace this limiting device, which reduces from 12 Volts to 6 Volts for dimming the lights on the instrument cluster. . . . .
The device that dims the instrument panel lamps is the rheostat. The electro mechanical device that you depicted below is the constant voltage regulator and it provides constant voltage to the instrument panel gauges. It does not dim the instrument panel lamps. This looks like the device used in the 1960s.

Voltage Limiter Generic.gif

I looked at a wiring diagram for a 1988 Dodge Caravan. There is no mechanical voltage limiter like the one indicated. The damping movement for the gauge needle is provided within the gauge assembly itself. Earlier models might have had a constant voltage limiter incorporated into the printed circuit board itself as an electronic control module. If present it would NOT look like this electro mechanical device shown. You would have to remove the instrument cluster printed circuit board and look at the traces on the back side to verify.

Are you having a problem with the instrument panel gauges?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could not find the part in any wiring diagram for the years involved. But parts people say it's located behind the instrument cluster.
I replaced the headlight switch with the same kind from another car. Same problem. No instrument cluster lights. The switch that came from another car did not have a dash lights problem.
So what's next?? Thank You

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
You are being given wrong information. Chrysler did away with the thermal-style gauge voltage limiter in the early '80's and went to the magnetic-style gauges.
Do your external parking lights work? The parking light fuse feeds the dash light fuse. If the parking lights are out, the dash lights will be out also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts