Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the spark plugs today. When I did I noticed that #1 and #2 showed that those cylinders were running rich. However, #3 and #4 looked more than normal. The gap on the pulled plugs was .050 or more. I installed Champions at more than .030 more like .035.

We'll see what happens on my trip to Tampa today. I've got to go to San Antonio and if I go by way of Tampa I get to spend time with my girl.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Which car, the TBI or Turbo? The wide gap may have allowed some unnoticed misfires and thus slightly fouled the plugs.

·
King
3,488 Posts
I just did mine this weekend RN12YC and reset the gap to .040
Car runs like a rocket, You can see me smiling from space.

I had no trouble finding them.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
OK, so it's not an injector issue, or they'd all be the same. Gapping to .035 should do it. I've gapped as much as .040, no difference, but you can't go wider than that without issues.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Hmmmmm, I thougt all of the 2.2 and 2.5's were supposed to have a .035 gap on the plugs. Shows just how little I do actually remember after two brain surgeries!

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
No, you're right, but you can generally push them out to .040 without problems. Seems best around .038.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I pulled out a set that had worn down (or up) to .050". I had put them in gapped to .035", car ran fine, but I'd never install them with a gap like that. Been using double platinum plugs since then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts