Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange thing happened on the way home from Tampa. I got off the turnpike and the car hicuped. I looked down and the power limited light was on. The car bucked once or twice but then ran just fine.

Pulled the codes and it's 15 and 24.

I guess I'll have to deal with that harness behind the valve cover afterall. :)

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Sure sounds like that's what it is.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been that way since I reported the high idle problem last May. LOL

I've just been dealing with it since it's so intermitant. But, I'll have to deal with it now. Fortunately, I will not have to make another trip to Tampa in the Daytona again for a good long while. Marla will be coming over for good on the 1st and next weekend she'll come over with some more boxes.

Did I mention the transmission? I think I did some months ago. I found it nearly dry for some reason. It growls especially in 4th and a bit in 5th gear. I filled it with oil and found it dropped a bit so I filled it a bit more. Then I used some Lucas oil treatment and it stopped leaking. It still growls but it hasn't gotten worse. I know it's on borrowed time for sure but I've just not taken the time to replace the transmission. I think I'll have to do it soon but for now I'm going to leave it a bit longer. When I do I'll deal bearings and perhaps some other suspension issues.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yesterday I pulled the valve cover to look at the harness. I was guessing that I would see fried wires. Nope.... all the wires looked fine and the connection at the grounds bolted to the head looked OK too. So, I started disconnecting and reconnecting connectors. I noticed that all seemed to be fine. I knew the one in question was the round one behind the valve cover so I did that one last. I looked at the ones behind the battery, and the ones behind the valve cover. I checked the distance sensor wiring and verified it's connector. Then I looked at the round one behind the valve cover. Disconnected, it looked OK. I 'deformed' the female connectors to make a tighter fit when putting it back together. Once it was back together I cranked the car and it did idle high at first. After a few starts it seems to be OK now. I did NOT disconnect the AIS connector from the AIS motor. This is something I perhaps should have done since there is only a slight idle float but even that's getting better.

This morning I cranked it and it began to idle fine after only a short time.

One of these days I guess I will get around to rebuilding the TB as I guess it's due with 323,000 miles on it. :)

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
When I did my 92 at 210K miles or so, I found a lot of crud in the air passage that the AIS controls, as well as a gasket leak between the top and bottom halves of the throttle body.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Bob O., sometimes we neglect our automotive loves for our human ones; I've been there and done that. Once Marla gets there, I'll bet you'll then be able to settle in and spend some time on your car again...just for a bit. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts