Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Great promotion, but the last paragraph underlies his problem with few takers... Everyone is scared of the economy.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

“I don’t think peo­ple be­lieve or un­der­stand the ad,” he said.[/background]
Car dealers as a group -- not him in particular -- have created a reputation that does not engender trust.

I would not take it seriously myself -- I have learned not to trust offers from car dealers. The fine print often takes them away.

Not saying it's not a good promotion, just that people might think it's TOO good.

I worked at Pathmark when we sold 14K jewelry, for $10 - $30, in a promotion. The same supplier provided the same jewelry to stores in NYC which sold it for $100 and up per piece. We still made a profit of around half the retail cost which shoudl tell you about jewelry stores.

Well -- sales stunk. We did market research and it turned out nobody believed it was real. Too good to be true.

So ... my boss brought in the crap costume jewelry with electroplated gold. THAT sold like hotcakes. At the same price.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Car dealers as a group -- not him in particular -- have created a reputation that does not engender trust.

I would not take it seriously myself -- I have learned not to trust offers from car dealers. The fine print often takes them away.

Not saying it's not a good promotion, just that people might think it's TOO good.

I worked at Pathmark when we sold 14K jewelry, for $10 - $30, in a promotion. The same supplier provided the same jewelry to stores in NYC which sold it for $100 and up per piece. We still made a profit of around half the retail cost which shoudl tell you about jewelry stores.

Well -- sales stunk. We did market research and it turned out nobody believed it was real. Too good to be true.

So ... my boss brought in the crap costume jewelry with electroplated gold. THAT sold like hotcakes. At the same price.
Problem with jewelry stores is that often the items sit in the cases for years before they are sold. So that the B&O and inventory tax has to be paid on them each year they dont sell. So while a 200-500% markup might seem a bit steep, usually the store was only making about 50% when everything was factored. Not that that isnt quite a bit for a net profit, but not quite as exorbitent as some would have you believe. Large diamonds were easily a 200-500% markup too. Those were the real money makers.

I also worked in the jewelry industry for a few years :)

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Great concept, but I'm guessing the general public would view it as the same kind of gimmick that comes with the deal that GM (I think it was) was offering not long ago. Sure they'll take the car back, but you're not going to actually get all of your money back.

Great promotion, but the last paragraph underlies his problem with few takers... Everyone is scared of the economy.
I don't know how much he's been promoting it, but this is the first I've heard of it.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I don't know how much he's been promoting it, but this is the first I've heard of it.
Well, he is 2,000 miles away and I know about it now. ;)

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I can see that ;)

I figured that jewelry stores also have to pay interest (loans) on the jewelry -- and huge insurance -- and someone has to be there to sell the stuff -- and the fittings of the stores are usually very expensive.

B&O?
Washington state special.. Buisness and Operating Tax..

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
I got an email ad from a group buy site that was offering swiss watches for C$219, claiming they were MSRP $1400. I did a net search, and found several other sites selling them in the $2xx range. The only site listing $1400 was the manufacturer's own.

As a $200 watch, it was nice enough... but please spare me the imaginary MSRP.

No sale.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
After 14 years, my no-brand watch finally gave up. The main problem was my own, my screwdriver slipped when I opened the back to replace the battery, and destroyed the guts.

When I was doing kung fu, for around six years?, I would always forget to take my watch off and I had to toss it a few yards into the corner. That was around four times a week... the band died quickly and I put on a Speidel.

I hate to say it, but after having two Timex watches die in the same time span (purchased for dress purposes), I gave up and got a Waltham at CVS for $10. It has the Indiglo backlight and keeps perfect time. Looks good, too.

In 1982, Armitron watches cost us $2-$3 after the marketing guy's cut... he said the most expensive parts were the band, case, and battery. Maybe not in that order.

Do we still make watches in the US? I might feel a little guilty, if so. But I don't see well enough for a Rolex-type watch to work for me anyway. I know someone who got a Movado watch that was a true POS -- broke down and they would not cover it under warranty, and the crystal scratched. They demanded a huge amount of money to change the battery, that couldn't be done at the store...

I'm sure you have better watches than I do. My watch needs are pretty simple, though. I need to know the time and date -- both have to be pretty big for that to happen -- and I like having a glow thing for times when it's really dark ;)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I can easily see the time on my iPhone. ;)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
except you won't see anything when the battery dies. My watch is fully mechanical.
Why did I get a visual of that tiny V12 powering your watch? ;)

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Well, he is 2,000 miles away and I know about it now. ;)
Right. But my point was how long has the dealer been having this promotion? The guarantee ended 3 days after this piece was published. How long did it run? I was at this dealership 2 weeks ago and I don't recall seeing anything regarding this, although they may not have been offering the guarantee then. Still, I haven't heard any advertisements on the radio or any spots on television. I'm wondering why it doesn't seem to have been promoted locally until 3 days before ending..

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Right. But my point was how long has the dealer been having this promotion? The guarantee ended 3 days after this piece was published. How long did it run? I was at this dealership 2 weeks ago and I don't recall seeing anything regarding this, although they may not have been offering the guarantee then. Still, I haven't heard any advertisements on the radio or any spots on television. I'm wondering why it doesn't seem to have been promoted locally until 3 days before ending..
From the Toledo Blade article:
Any­one who buys a new Dodge Dart or Jeep Wran­gler at the Mon­roe Dodge Chrysler Jeep Su­per­store dur­ing the week­long pro­mo­tion has a stand­ing of­fer to get 100 per­cent of their pur­chase price to­ward a new car trade through the end of 2013, as long as the ve­hi­cle has less than 10,000 miles.

Apparently they used print media and likely local mailers.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Hmm, thats an interesting deal.

Would essentially allow you to buy a Dart now, and then trade it in on a Dart SRT when it is released as long as you have less than 10,000 miles and before the end of 2013 looks like.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Again, I suspect the actual deal got lost in the usual BIG CAR DEALER HYPE TODAY ONLY!

Free coffee and car wash with every service!

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
From the Toledo Blade article:
Any­one who buys a new Dodge Dart or Jeep Wran­gler at the Mon­roe Dodge Chrysler Jeep Su­per­store dur­ing the week­long pro­mo­tion has a stand­ing of­fer to get 100 per­cent of their pur­chase price to­ward a new car trade through the end of 2013, as long as the ve­hi­cle has less than 10,000 miles.

Apparently they used print media and likely local mailers.
I think I need glasses for my glasses. :lol:

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts