Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Dude, that's awesome! Who's Jerry and where do I get something like that?

NEED!!
Jerry can be reached via PM here, but he may be a little slow to respond as he and his wife have had some recent health issues.

Jerry has a whole bunch of custom PT shift knobs in his catalog :cool:

Reactions: Jaydino75

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Thank you! It was fairly easy to accomplish--the hardest part was finding the Blue Metallic. I used Krylon's "Fusion" All-In-One Primer and Paint, per my brother-in-law's recommendation (he does this kind of work professionally). Practically no one carried the Metallic Blue, I ended up finding it at Michael's. I had toyed with using Clear Coat as well, but for time's sake, I opted not to. I also had noticed that the back side (the matte black insert) of the instrument cluster had the silver circles were pretty chipped up, but I decided to leave it; today, though, I see that it's pretty noticeable with the blue. So this weekend I'm going to yank the whole thing apart again and touch that up and probably will put Clear Coat on it just for the extra shine. 🙃
I also have a Touring Edition and one of the trim features is the chrome rings around the dash gauges. Just shortly after I bought my PT, a car wash had used some kind of cleaner on the dash and it made some spots on the chrome rings around the gauges. I should have made them fix it, or pay for the repairs, but I didn't. I ended up removing the cluster front, and the 3 chrome gauge ring comes off from the painted dash bezel. I couldn't get their "spots" off of the chrome, and I didn't want to buy a new ring assy, so I just ended up taking some very fine sandpaper and removing the chrome, it doesn't take much sanding.

You can see in this pic where the red arrow is it should be chrome, but now just black, and I don't even miss the chrome.

So if you find those rings kind of hard to mask off to keep the paint from getting inside the rings, you may want to do what I did. Unless you're also going to paint the inside of the rings, then no masking will be necessary.

Reactions: Jaydino75

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
That is the situation I'm looking at, and it seems that a cleaner of some kind caused same-said "damage". I know that the black piece comes off the face, so I think I'm going to go with "Dark Metallic" paint. Did you use the clear coat on yours? My friends are saying that mine looks good without it.
Clear coat on what? The gauge cluster bezel and air bag cover came painted the body color when I bought my PT.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Thank you!! I got mine from eBay - they are very hard to come by though. Search terms are 'PT Cruiser Dream Cruiser 5 2010 Billet Grille' as it's for a 2010 Dream Cruiser. Expect to pay big bucks for it, I paid almost $600 total. $400 on the upper, $200 on the lower. These ones are genuine new-old-stock Mopar pieces though I got from a dealership on eBay
Wow, those grilles really have gone up.

I bought mine off eBay for $240 in 05/18. At that time I think the seller had 5 sets available. NOS.

Reactions: junktardis
1 - 8 of 8 Posts