Allpar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring in Cool Vanilla
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, based on some boredom and a general lack of enthusiasm gray-on-gray-on-gray brings, I did a thing. My brother-in-law suggested paint over hydro-dipping (for cost), and the work took about 6 hours over two days. I even installed a SiriusXM decoder into the radio. This baby is pretty much complete! Now I wait for some jackass to run into me...

Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Steering part

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: multimopes

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool. I like how the shift knob is done too.
It all took some doing, but the knob was actually easier than I thought!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jerry can be reached via PM here, but he may be a little slow to respond as he and his wife have had some recent health issues.

Jerry has a whole bunch of custom PT shift knobs in his catalog :cool:
And the seat covers?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks sweet
Thank you! It was fairly easy to accomplish--the hardest part was finding the Blue Metallic. I used Krylon's "Fusion" All-In-One Primer and Paint, per my brother-in-law's recommendation (he does this kind of work professionally). Practically no one carried the Metallic Blue, I ended up finding it at Michael's. I had toyed with using Clear Coat as well, but for time's sake, I opted not to. I also had noticed that the back side (the matte black insert) of the instrument cluster had the silver circles were pretty chipped up, but I decided to leave it; today, though, I see that it's pretty noticeable with the blue. So this weekend I'm going to yank the whole thing apart again and touch that up and probably will put Clear Coat on it just for the extra shine. 🙃

Reactions: AceHanlon

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also have a Touring Edition and one of the trim features is the chrome rings around the dash gauges. Just shortly after I bought my PT, a car wash had used some kind of cleaner on the dash and it made some spots on the chrome rings around the gauges. I should have made them fix it, or pay for the repairs, but I didn't. I ended up removing the cluster front, and the 3 chrome gauge ring comes off from the painted dash bezel. I couldn't get their "spots" off of the chrome, and I didn't want to buy a new ring assy, so I just ended up taking some very fine sandpaper and removing the chrome, it doesn't take much sanding.

You can see in this pic where the red arrow is it should be chrome, but now just black, and I don't even miss the chrome.

So if you find those rings kind of hard to mask off to keep the paint from getting inside the rings, you may want to do what I did. Unless you're also going to paint the inside of the rings, then no masking will be necessary.
That is the situation I'm looking at, and it seems that a cleaner of some kind caused same-said "damage". I know that the black piece comes off the face, so I think I'm going to go with "Dark Metallic" paint. Did you use the clear coat on yours? My friends are saying that mine looks good without it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Clear coat on what? The gauge cluster bezel and air bag cover came painted the body color when I bought my PT.
OH! My bad. I thought you did what I did. Lol

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oof... One thing I noticed today: the "oh sh*t" bar above the glovebox that I painted is very tacky. The paint is bonded, but doesn't feel completely dry, even after 5 days. I think it is because the material is different than that of the trim panels. What could I do here to shore this up?

Reactions: Sooner PT

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Will do! Thanks for the tip. If all else fails, 2 bucks at the boneyard fixes all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Reactions: junktardis

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Clear coat on what? The gauge cluster bezel and air bag cover came painted the body color when I bought my PT.
OH! I was at the boneyard last weekend and I discovered what you were talking about. He had a blue touring on the lot, and the gauge cluster and air bag cover were intact! I swapped them out so I could have the silver "PT CRUISER" logo. 😀

I also decided to paint the door panels.
Automotive lighting White Hood Light Vehicle

Problem is, the masking wouldn't stick right, so I had some over-spray and missing spots. I cleaned most of that up and will do the touch-ups tomorrow. I broke down and ordered a 2Din touchscreen stereo, because I want some of the features. Following the advice found on this forum, I used a dremel to cut away behind the center dash bezel...what a mess. Plastic is a PitA to cut. After I had it all together, it looked wonky with the knob cutouts, and the bezel covered the top part of the radio...So, I bought the custom dash bezel kit, got it for $70 on ebay. I'll need to paint it tomorrow as well.

And, finally, I figured out why my under-dash lights (mentioned in a different post) suddenly disappeared: I'd replaced the AC Control Cluster a couple months ago, to address some of the blown-out lights in that unit. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, there should be a little tinted strip at the bottom of the Control Panel, where the light comes out. The replacement unit I used didn't have that strip!
Toy Bumper Hood Wood Automotive exterior

I found that out when I went to the junkyard and saw the difference. I pulled it from an '09, and it's now 100% working in the car. All the lights are back!

Now I have to replace the leaking radiator, put in new hoses, a thermostat (since I'll be in there anyway), and to complete the set, I got a new condenser as well. Off to the shop to vent the freon, so I don't murder Ozone.

Reactions: Sooner PT
1 - 13 of 13 Posts