Allpar Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring in Cool Vanilla
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Clear coat on what? The gauge cluster bezel and air bag cover came painted the body color when I bought my PT.
OH! My bad. I thought you did what I did. Lol

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad it has held up fine after all these years.

I've still got a large selection of various themed shifter balls for the atx and the mtx. I also have some custom one-off console shifter bezels to match the custom shifter balls. I also have several different styles of wheel center caps and one-off door sill scuff plates. They are all available in black, white or custom matched to your OEM body color and they all have my custom, one-off graphics. Some are in themes that I'll guarantee you would never think of.

Believe me when I say that you've never seen anything like them before.

All of my one off items are fully disassembled and primered, prepped, painted with oem PT paint that matches your PTS exterior colors and then then several coats of clear. They match your existing body colors exactly. They then receive my custom one-off graphics. There is simply nothing like my products anywhere on the market for our CRUISERS.

Getting ready to go to hospital right now. I'll be back later this evening to fill you in more and answer any questions that you might have.

I am certain that when I receive my copay bills from my recent stay at the hospital and now my wife's care there, that I'm going to be needing all the funds that I can round up.

Love to you all.

Jerry

WOW!!!
Looking forward to Jerry's follow-up!
I had forgotten that he did our "Balls"!!! KInda like a custom Tatoo!
:ROFLMAO:

How's about "My Purple Passion Jerry???
I WAS going to paint it myself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is the situation I'm looking at, and it seems that a cleaner of some kind caused same-said "damage". I know that the black piece comes off the face, so I think I'm going to go with "Dark Metallic" paint. Did you use the clear coat on yours? My friends are saying that mine looks good without it.

I agree!
That's what I thought made it "Unique"!
(y)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oof... One thing I noticed today: the "oh sh*t" bar above the glovebox that I painted is very tacky. The paint is bonded, but doesn't feel completely dry, even after 5 days. I think it is because the material is different than that of the trim panels. What could I do here to shore this up?

Reactions: Sooner PT

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oof... One thing I noticed today: the "oh sh*t" bar above the glovebox that I painted is very tacky. The paint is bonded, but doesn't feel completely dry, even after 5 days. I think it is because the material is different than that of the trim panels. What could I do here to shore this up?
I'd try heat.
And electric heater on low.
But, I have run into parts that are just not chemically compatible, and the paint never completely sets.
That causes me to go back to square one.
Maybe a matching wrap, if it never sets.

In the Gen 2s, my wifie loved the "Oh poopies" bar! She could hang things on it.
A woman never has enough places to hang stuff in a car. 😁

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Will do! Thanks for the tip. If all else fails, 2 bucks at the boneyard fixes all.

·
Registered
2009 PT Cruiser
18 Posts

I like how this is going! Esp. the shifter bezel and knob. Even accenting the handle-bar is a good idea; hopefully you can find a good solution for the current tacky feeling.

Speaking of that part, some people never liked the "towel rack", but I think it's a thoughtful idea that comes in handy. In fact, in my Cruiser, sometimes I really do use it as a towel rack, when I'm washing the car!
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
86 Posts
And you can never have too much blue :D

The '07 Pacific Coast Highway Edition had blue inserts in the seats, and blue dash gauges :cool:

I have a speedo insert from a PCH edition in my '06 Touring ;) I absolutely love it, it looks so good - sorry about the picture quality, best I have to hand

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Gear shift

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Reactions: junktardis

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
86 Posts
How much of a pain is it to do underlighting?
Depends on your level of thoroughness! Mine came with pre-applied 3M VHB tape so it could be taped in. However, I wanted something more permanent so I grabbed a back of wire tie-downs from Lowes, and some screws for metal and pulled out the tacks and used screws and wire tie downs to secure the strips (as well as the VHB). I've driven approximately 22,000 and gone through snow/blizzards/deep-ish water with no issue yet. Took me 6 hours to do it nicely, though it could be done in 1-2 hours but look sloppy. I ran the wires behind the wheel splash trims, and used various tie downs and zip-ties to secure any excess. The kit I ordered came as a 6 piece set. 2 for rear, 2 for side along the chassis and 2 for under the front bumper. I picked that kit, as it made replacing any individual strips much easier should the need arise. Wiring wise, I ran a relay to IGN+12v and the battery and added in a switch to the center console for hard on/off. It took me so long because it was 100degrees, and as a Brit - this was a huge struggle.

Quick answer - Easy, but time consuming to do nicely.

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
86 Posts
Yeah, she is gorgeous! Where did you get that grille piece??
Thank you!! I got mine from eBay - they are very hard to come by though. Search terms are 'PT Cruiser Dream Cruiser 5 2010 Billet Grille' as it's for a 2010 Dream Cruiser. Expect to pay big bucks for it, I paid almost $600 total. $400 on the upper, $200 on the lower. These ones are genuine new-old-stock Mopar pieces though I got from a dealership on eBay

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Thank you!! I got mine from eBay - they are very hard to come by though. Search terms are 'PT Cruiser Dream Cruiser 5 2010 Billet Grille' as it's for a 2010 Dream Cruiser. Expect to pay big bucks for it, I paid almost $600 total. $400 on the upper, $200 on the lower. These ones are genuine new-old-stock Mopar pieces though I got from a dealership on eBay
Wow, those grilles really have gone up.

I bought mine off eBay for $240 in 05/18. At that time I think the seller had 5 sets available. NOS.

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
86 Posts
Wow, those grilles really have gone up.

I bought mine off eBay for $240 in 05/18. At that time I think the seller had 5 sets available. NOS.
Oh yeah for sure, I got mine in May of 2020 and there were two upper and 1 lower piece on the whole of eBay at that time. They show up from time to time, but they are extremely scarce. I sometimes wonder about swapping back the original in case it ever gets in a wreck. But that defeats the purpose of having nice things, right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Clear coat on what? The gauge cluster bezel and air bag cover came painted the body color when I bought my PT.
OH! I was at the boneyard last weekend and I discovered what you were talking about. He had a blue touring on the lot, and the gauge cluster and air bag cover were intact! I swapped them out so I could have the silver "PT CRUISER" logo. 😀

I also decided to paint the door panels.
Automotive lighting White Hood Light Vehicle

Problem is, the masking wouldn't stick right, so I had some over-spray and missing spots. I cleaned most of that up and will do the touch-ups tomorrow. I broke down and ordered a 2Din touchscreen stereo, because I want some of the features. Following the advice found on this forum, I used a dremel to cut away behind the center dash bezel...what a mess. Plastic is a PitA to cut. After I had it all together, it looked wonky with the knob cutouts, and the bezel covered the top part of the radio...So, I bought the custom dash bezel kit, got it for $70 on ebay. I'll need to paint it tomorrow as well.

And, finally, I figured out why my under-dash lights (mentioned in a different post) suddenly disappeared: I'd replaced the AC Control Cluster a couple months ago, to address some of the blown-out lights in that unit. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, there should be a little tinted strip at the bottom of the Control Panel, where the light comes out. The replacement unit I used didn't have that strip!
Toy Bumper Hood Wood Automotive exterior

I found that out when I went to the junkyard and saw the difference. I pulled it from an '09, and it's now 100% working in the car. All the lights are back!

Now I have to replace the leaking radiator, put in new hoses, a thermostat (since I'll be in there anyway), and to complete the set, I got a new condenser as well. Off to the shop to vent the freon, so I don't murder Ozone.

Reactions: Sooner PT
21 - 37 of 37 Posts