Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The auto shifter in my 92 lebaron convertible at one time probably had a rubber strip of some sort to seal the space around the shifter in the console.This is missing(even found the spare key down in that hole!) I suspecft it is missing on a lot of cars from that perioid.What have some of you found to fix this?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Can you get to a you pull it yard and get what you need from a Lebaron there? I live 5 miles from one and the part around the shifter is prob in one of those they got there. Price is usually reasonable. See if theres a you pull near you and see how much the original part costs. You might get lucky. If theres no you pull near you let me know. Maybe I can help you out. Not sure if Im allowed to offer you any help but if I am let me know if you think you want to go that route. Good luck!, Marc-

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steele products shows nothing for a lebaron unfortunately. I have found one other lebaron in a local(as in fifty miles) salvage yard. The same part was missing. I have seen two other convertibles in town and both are missing the part. if you find one marc I'd be happy to pay you whatever it costs and something for the time pulling it and postage. My email is [email protected]! I'll be looking at other model and make cars in the salvage yards in the meantime. Maybe they have somethin close. I don't even have the old one for a pattern or I'd just get some sheet rubber and cut it out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WELLL...I fixed my problem today! I started looking around for something around the house that could be used as to make a replacement. What I found was an old oil drain pan ..the plastic kind from walmart.I tore the console down and found two big pieces of the old one...enough to show me the correct width and get close to a length(which is 18 inches). I cut out the side of the pan then cut it to the correct size using the old pieces as a guide.I sprayed a little white lube into the slides and put it in..trimming a teeny bit as needed as it went through the slides. Then I drilled a 3/4 hole into the middle of the strip. Works perfectly! The plastic wass just the right thickness and is stiff enough not to buckle when shifting.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Way to go! Now make two more for those others in need, they will be happy pay to what ever its worth plus what you charge for installation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts