Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am having this intermittent issue with my PT Cruiser.
What will happen is while driving, the Check engine light will come on and then I will be unable to rev past 2200 RPM.
I am still able to change gears and get to higher speeds, but it takes a bit longer due to the limited RPM.
I decided to do a little searching and found out how to get the code without a reader (for those that are searching it is: Turn the key from on (not start) to off (not all the way off) 3 times ending on "on")

Googling this code led me to this forum. (specifically this thread Chrysler PT Cruiser Code P0340 (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/chrysler-pt-cruiser-code-p0340.151113/ ))
But that thread really never got solved.

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on what the problem might be.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
. . . . I decided to do a little searching and found out how to get the code without a reader (for those that are searching it is: Turn the key from on (not start) to off (not all the way off) 3 times ending on "on") . . . .
To be absolutely certain; you performed the "key dance" routine (ON - OFF, ON - OFF, ON) and then code P0340 appeared in the instrument cluster odometer display???

P0340 indicates an intermittent camshaft position sensor signal. At engine start there must be a camshaft position sensor signal along with the crankshaft position sensor signal. Once the crankshaft has rotated 2 revolutions and the camshaft rotates 1 revolution the PCM (powertrain control module) can synchronize the position of these 2 shafts to each other. The camshaft sensor signal is no longer needed. However the signal presence is still monitored and if it disappears momentarily a diagnostic code is set and CHECK ENGINE lamp illuminated but the engine will continue to run.

I would check the 3 wire connector at the camshaft position sensor, end of engine head and over the transmission bell housing. Make sure it is clean (both male and female components) and no oil is present. The slightest amount of oil can cause an interrupted signal.

The rev limitation feature seems odd but Chrysler could have programmed the PCM such that any fault code present puts a limitation on engine rpm to avoid any potential engine damage.

I would suggest you stop at a chain auto parts store such as Autozone, O'Reilly, or Advance Auto and ask for a free diagnostic scan of the PCM. This would ensure that the key dance procedure is retrieving all possible codes present.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Have you replaced the cam position sensor? If so, did you use an oem/dealer part?

There may be other codes associated with this one, however I do not recall what I saw on an '02 PT. The key-dance only shows codes that trip the check engine light. Any other codes will not be displayed and you will need an odb reader to pull the other ones.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,725 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts