Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 Voyager Base 2.4

1. Gas gauge and low fuel light--gauge goes down, fuel light comes on. Always corrects itself. Recently started at bottom on startup, worked at next startup, and flickered (fluttered?) back-and-forth a bit for a while, fuel light coming on each dip.

2. one time while driving, all 3 gauge dials swung down to the bottom, immediately returned to normal. Except gas gauge was slow to return fully.

3. Odometer light was blank one time, came back on.

4. Burnt rubber smell from engine, occasional, like fluid is leaking on a hot metal part, or a leaky antifreeze hose. Nothing on ground, as far as I know. I believe it's on the driver's side, could actually be near the tire.

Would like some insight on these.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The first 2 may be related. The smell/leak probably not.
The instrument cluster solder joints/connections may be intermittent or the PCI communications bus is dropping out. Has the cluster circuit board been resoldered?
Since the fuel gauge is the most consistent issue, make sure that the wiring back to the tank and the sender itself are OK. You may have to diagnose this while it is acting up as nothing will probably show up while it is working correctly. There may be fault codes stored in the cluster (MIC) or BCM that would help diagnosis.
I believe that the fuel level signal is sent to the BCM and it is then put out on the bus for the cluster and PCM to use
As for the hot odor, you will have to go underneath and look for a leak.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Majority of the time the erratic gas gauge (very common) is caused by a failing sender unit on the fuel pump assembly in the tank. You replace the pump to fix it. As IC eluded to it's worth the extra time and effort to eliminate other casues as a pump replacemnet will cost you around $300, $100+ if you DIY it.

As stated, the instrument cluster solder joint issue is a common problem on 96-00 vans. Since you've only seen the gauges and odo die once, you may be able to put the fix off for a while. By the way, the fix is free. Just reflow the solder joints on the cluster. Just be aware, this issue can cause no starts/immobilzer problems as they get worse. If they die again smacking the dash above the cluster may jar the solder joints enough to bring the cluster back to life.

IC - PCI on a 3rd gen van? I'd bet that was just a brain f...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts