Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.

I'm getting an intermittent stall on a 2007 4L Pacifica that I acquired a couple of months ago. The engine will run perfectly fine for a few hours, or more often a few days, then the engine will shut off while driving. I can then start the engine again on the first try, and it will again run fine for a few hours or days. .Although it is a very intermittent issue, it makes the vehicle unsafe to drive.

I got a mechanic to check for error codes, and an error code was produced for the camshaft position sensor and/or camshaft position sensor circuit. I also started getting a dash warning light for the electronic throttle. I replaced the throttle body and the camshaft position sensor, but the problem remains. The wiring and connectors seem fine as far as I can tell.

Another clue, is I'll get intermittent and weird dashboard warning lights. For example, warning lights will come on intermittently for the oil pressure, anti skid, and catalytic converter.

I've read countless posts about intermittent stalling on 2007 Pacificas, and quite a few claimed the problem was solved by replacing the EGR valve. It looks as though replacing the valve is quite a challenge, and I'm finding it hard to believe that a bad EGR valve would cause an intermittent stall while driving, all the while the engine runs fine 99% of the time, and can be started right back up when the issue occurs.

One other thing. The person who is driving it is quite short, so I did install pedal extenders. Is there any way the weight of the gas pedal extender could be interfering with the pedal sensor somehow and causing the issue? I know that's grasping at straws, but it seems that grasping at straws is about all I have left right now :)

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
What is the age and condition of the battery? Chrysler's do not tolerate low voltage conditions.

Another item to have checked out is the alternator, specifically for ac ripple. On an '06 charger the occasional ac ripple (failing diode) would reset the instrument cluster (light up and do the bulb check) and reset the emissions monitors to notready. No drivability issues though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the age and condition of the battery? Chrysler's do not tolerate low voltage conditions.

Another item to have checked out is the alternator, specifically for ac ripple. On an '06 charger the occasional ac ripple (failing diode) would reset the instrument cluster (light up and do the bulb check) and reset the emissions monitors to notready. No drivability issues though.
Thank you for the reply Gerry.

My apologies, I forgot to mention that I put in a new battery as well.

It's all too bad, because it's a really nice vehicle and everything works very well. Well, other than the intermittent stall.

·
KOG
7,205 Posts
Pedal extensions are not the problem. I've got a 4.0 in my T&C, the EGR valve isn't impossible, you just need to take your time. 20-30 minutes. Don't know if that's the problem, but could be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all that KOG.

I'll replace the EGR, but honestly, I still can't imagine how a bad EGR valve can cause an intermittent stall every once and a while. It's just not a typical symptom of a bad EGR valve, yet a few claimed replacing it solved their intermittent stall issue.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
I would try to diagnose this first. I have let customers use a Co-pilot data recording tool for intermittent issues such as this: DCCTOOLS - StarMOBILE

It plugs into the DLC connector and goes under the drivers seat. A trigger button is placed within easy reach of the driver. When the stall occurs, the customer presses the trigger button and the last 90 seconds of sensor, input/output and whatever-else vehicle information is stored in a data recording. It can hold 3 separate 90-second data records.

Back at the shop, we download the recording and it is displayed as graphs and values according to time.
We can see the point of stall and what everything EFI-wise was seeing at the moment of stall.

A close visual examination of the engine compartment wiring is an important place to start. The car is at an age where wire rub-throughs, breaks and connector terminal corrosion are fairly common. Make sure that grounds are clean and tight. I've seen the braided frame ground straps rotted apart.

This is the tool that does what we can't find.
A sample of a data recording seeing a stall event:

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello.

I'm getting an intermittent stall on a 2007 4L Pacifica that I acquired a couple of months ago. The engine will run perfectly fine for a few hours, or more often a few days, then the engine will shut off while driving. I can then start the engine again on the first try, and it will again run fine for a few hours or days. .Although it is a very intermittent issue, it makes the vehicle unsafe to drive.

I got a mechanic to check for error codes, and an error code was produced for the camshaft position sensor and/or camshaft position sensor circuit. I also started getting a dash warning light for the electronic throttle. I replaced the throttle body and the camshaft position sensor, but the problem remains. The wiring and connectors seem fine as far as I can tell.

Another clue, is I'll get intermittent and weird dashboard warning lights. For example, warning lights will come on intermittently for the oil pressure, anti skid, and catalytic converter.

I've read countless posts about intermittent stalling on 2007 Pacificas, and quite a few claimed the problem was solved by replacing the EGR valve. It looks as though replacing the valve is quite a challenge, and I'm finding it hard to believe that a bad EGR valve would cause an intermittent stall, all the while the engine runs fine 99% of the time, and can be started right back up when the issue occurs.

One other thing. The person who is driving it is quite short, so I did install pedal extenders. Is there any way the weight of the gas pedal extender could be interfering with the pedal sensor somehow and causing the issue? I know that's grasping at straws, but it seems that grasping at straws is about all I have left right now :)

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I own a 2009 Chrysler town and country with the same engine and had the same problem with intermittent stalling. We replaced the egr valve and the problem was solved. We also had to replace a y connection above the egr valve that had been leaking coolant onto the egr valve.

·
KOG
7,205 Posts
The plastic Y connectors for coolant split the heating lines for front and rear systems. They come molded into the lines at a ridiculous price. At the 100K service on my 09 T&C I replaced them with steel T fitttings which I ordered from Amazon as I could not find the correct size locally. I don't recall the 07 Pacfica having rear air/heat so that shouldn't be an issue here..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KOG,

This 07 Pacifica does indeed have rear air/heat. Maybe because it's the Touring model?

Jeff,

The EGR valve should be here in a couple of days. Was there a visible crack or split in that y connection? How could coolant get into the EGR valve from that y connector? Isn't the EGR a sealed unit?

·
KOG
7,205 Posts
One of mine was cracked. And I had no desire t put the OEM plastic piece back on just to see it crack again. Once you see the price for the OEM part you'll choke. They're around $50 each for the T&C at Rockauto. They're not listed for Pacifica with rear heat/air.

Reactions: Cyber

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Imperial Crown gave you the best advice. You're already shotgunning parts hoping to find a quick fix. This can cause more issues and your wallet will be much lighter. Please do some more diagnostics first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Imperial Crown gave you the best advice. You're already shotgunning parts hoping to find a quick fix. This can cause more issues and your wallet will be much lighter. Please do some more diagnostics first.

I called both Chrysler dealerships in my city, and they don't lend their co-pilots out. I replaced the throttle body and cam sensor because they weren't expensive, and were easy to replace. Also, I was getting the error code for that sensor and the warning light for the electronic throttle. I've read dozens of threads on the intermittent stall, and despite the people bringing their Pacifica to shops (often many times), the problem was (almost always) never found. I suspect it was never found due to it's very high intermittency. Of the those threads, the few that were solved, were solved by replacing the egr valve. If it's not the EGR valve, I suspect it's some obscure wring issue, or a PCM issue. Neither of which is a road I want to go down.

·
KOG
7,205 Posts
I'm always with IC on diagnose first and then replace parts. But this is a case where the only diagnosis which works is to replace the EGR as it won't set a usable code for this problem. BTDT on my 4.0.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes KOG. Of those threads in which the intermittent stalling was solved by replacing the EGR, there was no error code showing for the EGR.

I ordered the egr from Rock Auto 4 days ago, but it's been stuck in Memphis for 3 days for some reason. Fed Ex is looking into it.

·
Super Moderator
22,488 Posts
The whole point of a Co-pilot is to let the customer take it out for a spin. A repair order is kept open, so we don't forget who has the tool.
If the problem occurs once in a blue moon, a tech may never experience it in person. If the failure doesn't leave behind fault codes or any clues, we have no idea where to start.

Reactions: KOG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The whole point of a Co-pilot is to let the customer take it out for a spin.
Ya, you would think so.

Both of the Chrysler dealerships have a co-pilot, but are expecting me to leave the vehicle with them in the hope that the very intermittent problem occurs when a mechanic is driving it. Of course, I would have to pay $100/HR for this. Considering the problem occurs every few hours, or might not for a couple of days, then that route isn't going to happen either.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Based on the newly revealed information and your circumstances, I have to agree that replacing the EGR is an idea worth trying. I wonder why the dealerships seem to have a stick up their rear ends about the co-pilot?? I'm standing down.

·
Super Moderator
22,488 Posts
I have had EGRs fail without setting a fault code. It would likely be a stall at idle and not while driving down the road.
If it opened at low-speeds, it might cause a sputter, but it wouldn't be like someone just turning off the key.
There are generic data recorders. Some of the higher-end scan tools incorporate a data recorder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had EGRs fail without setting a fault code. It would likely be a stall at idle and not while driving down the road.
If it opened at low-speeds, it might cause a sputter, but it wouldn't be like someone just turning off the key.
That's exactly why I said in my original post, "I'm finding it hard to believe that a bad EGR valve would cause an intermittent stall while driving, all the while the engine runs fine 99% of the time, and can be started right back up when the issue occurs".

Yet, I came across numerous people who claimed that the an EGR valve replacement solved the intermittent stall issue. More and more I'm starting to think that somehow, in some way, these people were mistaken. I'll try the replacement, but if that doesn't solve it, I'll call some private shops in regards to a co-pilot. Is a co-pilot generic, or does it have to be specific for the vehicle manufacturer?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts