Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I just spotted this ad here in the town where I live and was wondering if you guys may think this could be a cam or crank position sensor? My son and I will probably go look at it tomorrow and if it's not all ragged out, make an offer. http://clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/3339396026.html

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
Take a can of starting fluid (Gum Out carb cleaner is my favorite), and a spare spark plug. Use the plug to see if it has spark. If it does, spray fluid into the throttle body to see if it fires. That should pin down the problem. If it's a 3.5 it could be a timing belt. If 3.3 it's nearly bulletproof mechanically.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If it is a timing belt the 96 is fixable :).
Good luck I know you've been looking at these cars for a while now I sure hope this one will be the one.
Mick

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if it's the timing belt, I've heard from some places that the 3.5 is an interference engine and other places say it isn't. I didn't think it was, but now I'm wondering. What do you guys that own them say? And that's a good idea KOG. The car is only about a mile from where I live, so after I take my wife to her appointment in the morning, I'm going to go check it out. I've got spark plugs and starting fluid. I also have a rubber mallet. Looking at the fuel pump replacement if that's what's needed, I understand that these have an access hole so the tank doesn't have to be dropped. Sweet! The car will be for my son. He got about 7,000 from his settlement from our lawsuit and has finally decided that he doesn't need a new car and if he can get this one and fix it cheaply, he'll be more than happy.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If it is the fuel pump, it is easy to replace through the access panel. Be aware that the trunk will fill with gas fumes when you have the pump out. Do any work outdoors, and see if you can get some kind of forced ventilation going into the trunk, like a fan set up a safe distance away. You really have to be inside the trunk to change the thing, and the fumes are real intense.
The most difficult part was getting the new pump in proper position and holding it down against the spring pressure to get the lock ring threaded on.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
1st gen is noninterference! Fuel pump is super easy.
Mick

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Peterjon, I always have to work outdoors in a well ventilated area. I don't have a garage! LOL But, the fan is a good idea and if my son gets the car, I'll use one. Thanks. I've replaced a few fuel pumps in my day, but the majority were the mechanical type on the engine block. The last electric one I replaced was on a Volvo and it had an access hole under the rear seat, so was pretty easy. The worst was on a Pontiac 6000 back in 1995.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just got back from looking at the Intrepid and it is a complete piece of junk. The headlights were broken, the clear coat is missing in numerous places and rust has replaced it. It has two flat tires and needs a new set of tires all around. Popped the hood and someone has been monkeying around with the wiring harness on the cam position sensor and near the coil pack. It has a cracked windshield and a broken back window. And to top it off, the dude that owns it wasn't even there and didn't leave the keys with his girlfriend. The hood supports are shot and you have to hold it up with a stick. And it was also a smokers car with the headliner falling on the interior which had multiple cigarette burns. I told her thanks, but no thanks and got in the GC and left. I told my boy to keep looking. I wouldn't offer two hundred bucks for it and would just scrap it if it were mine and looked like that. The body had several dents too.

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
Oh, you might offer 200 for it if you have a way to haul it for scrap. Should bring 300 or more.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could drag it to my house with a tow strap, but I really don't want to fool with it. It's just not worth the effort to me, man.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I could drag it to my house with a tow strap, but I really don't want to fool with it. It's just not worth the effort to me, man.
I will e-mail you about this shortly.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got your email, Scott. Much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts