Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody aware of a steering coupler U-joint that will mate the Valiant's through-pin steering shaft to the 3/4"-36 spline of the steering box? I'd like to get rid of that big, old-fashioned Mopar steering coupler. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,159 Posts
Look at NAPA and other places like the hotrod stores online for examples, Fatboys comes to mind, but they are out there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dana, I'm thinking of trying a Sweet Mfg. Co. U-joint with the 3/4-36 spline on one end and a smooth opposite end, drilling and pinning the smooth end. But I'm forgetting the diameter of the A-body steering shaft. Would you happen to know what it is?

·
Premium Member
20,159 Posts
No, I don't, and I don't have one to measure, either, sorry.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's 3/4", the same as the steering box input shaft. I think the Sweet Mfg. Co. U-joint SKU no. 401-50612 (3/4"-36 x 3/4" smooth) would work, if the smooth end is drilled and pinned to the steering shaft.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, can I run my latest plan past you, and ask you to critique it before I shell out the bucks for the parts?

Put the smooth end of a 3/4" smooth to 3/4" D coupler on the end of the steering shaft; drill and pin it to the shaft, the exact location being very forgiving because you can adjust both "D" setscrews later.

Use a U-joint with a 3/4" D on both ends. Put one end in the coupler attached to the steering shaft, and the other end into a 3/4" D to 3/4" - 36 spline coupler. Bolt the other end of that coupler to the steering box, then tighten the setscrews on both of the "D"s.

Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
20,159 Posts
No reason why that won't work.

·
Super Moderator
37,838 Posts
Does the factory coupler allow some in and out movement in case the box and steering box flexs a bit? Will the new setup be able to do the same if the old one allowed some movement? I don't know the specifics but in some cars there is the ability of the coupler to allow some telescoping.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's what I've decided to do: Use a Borgeson vibration damper-type u-joint steering coupler no. 034934. It is a 3/4" DD to 3/4"-36 coupler that is 4-3/8" long overall. The old Mopar "tin box" coupler was 3" long. Therefore I plan to remove the pin from the steering shaft, shorten the steering shaft by about 1-3/8" and grind a flat in it for the coupler's setscrews. The Borgeson coupler has an effective diameter of only about 1-1/2", while the old Mopar coupler's effective diameter was about 2-1/2", so I'll be gaining 1/2" of clearance between the steering coupler and the exhaust manifold, which I really need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts