Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For this post I use car for suv/cuv..........

To me a full car company has t have at least 3 sizes, small, med. and large. The minivan is a outlier.
We don't know for sure what will replace the 300 but I assume it will be 'large"
When will chrysler get a small and med. car?

· Premium Member
39 Posts
Is Chrysler even a car "company", or is Stellantis the car company and Chrysler a division? (Is it even a manufacturer, since it assembles parts from "parts" manufacturers?) The Chrysler Assembly Company?

· Virginia Gentleman
8,735 Posts
For this post I use car for suv/cuv..........

To me a full car company has t have at least 3 sizes, small, med. and large. The minivan is a outlier.
We don't know for sure what will replace the 300 but I assume it will be 'large"
When will chrysler get a small and med. car?
Chrysler Corporation hasn't existed since 1998. It has been a division or brand of a larger corporation since.

· Move along, nothing to see here
1,711 Posts
I think, and it's just my humble opinion, that Chrysler is just a brand name at this point.
They're all just brand names now. The days of each "make" being a separate division within a larger company ended decades ago. The separate brand CEO's are just brand marketing managers.

· Registered
58 Posts
A lot of companies build different products(cars , trucks, SUVs) through one brand such as Ford, Toyota, or Chevy. Chrysler does the same things through Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram that others do through one parent brand. So to me, CDJR as a whole is similar to Ford or Chevy or Toyota.

· Registered
170 Posts
Hmmm. I looked around and randomly pulled an old invoice from a filling cabinet. I can give a Canadian perspective.
I'm looking at a factory invoice for a 1976 Chrysler Cordoba 2-DR. A blue colour code PB3V68. Total price $8,084.75. Chrysler Canada Ltd on the invoice.
A 1970 invoice for a Dodge Monaco 3 seat Wagon used Chrysler Canada Ltd. Sold for $6,460.
I found a Bill of Sale from Sept 14, 1966 for a Dodge D100. We had Dodge:plymouth:Chrysler listed on the top. Not a factory invoice. If I read this right, the D100 cost $2,730 at the time.
Looking at a 2022 factory invoice on a Ram 1500 lists FCA Canada Inc on the top of the invoice.
Looking at a 2023 Ram 3500 still uses the FCA Canada Inc. But I do get emails from a Stellantis domain when contacted.
Looking at a 2014 Grand Caravan factory invoice used Chrysler LLC.
Looking at a 2002 Dodge 1500 invoice it lists Daimlerchrysler Canada Inc.
Going further back it looks like many of the bills of sale older than 1966 is John Deere equipment. That's enough digging though. I had just grabbed a customer folder that had a pile of carbon-copies from the past.

Hey Gen Z. Did you know there used to be technology that allowed you to print on four pages at once using a pen or a pencil?

[edited to add more for fun]

· Super Moderator
21,376 Posts
Why haven't those names changed? Time? Tax purposes?
Could be certification related. When the company I work for bought another company and changed the branding and certification contacts, we had to submit the products for recertification even though they were physically and electronically the same. It got expensive.
As a result, lots of old products are now listed under “ghost” entities, much like FCA USA is.

· Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,838 Posts
After Fiat took full control, my memory escapes me as to what year. How long after did the name officially change? Maybe it's a dumb question, but just trying to compare.

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,616 Posts
I think it was within weeks of full control being achieved. It was kinda absurd for them to rename them. In fairness they did rename Fiat to FCA Italy which is more than Daimler ever did.

· Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,838 Posts
I think it was within weeks of full control being achieved. It was kinda absurd for them to rename them. In fairness they did rename Fiat to FCA Italy which is more than Daimler ever did.
The reason I ask is there seems to be a great deal of confusion surrounding Stellantis here in NA and the FCA name here. No one really knows what Stellantis is, and since there's been zero advertising here it continues it's murkiness.

· Premium Member
39 Posts
Chrysler-the-division hasn't existed since long before 1998—not since the 1970s, I think, and I'm probably wrong. At some point the divisions simply became brands.
Do you remember what year Daimler took it over and what year Cerebus (an investment-holding company best known for liquidating large corps.) owned it. Going back to when the Dodge brothers And W.P. Chrysler got together its been a fascinating history. Do you know of any one volume that covers their complete evolution from when W.P. Chrysler started at Ford and Dodge bros. was making bodies for Ford and other manufacturers? And their technological first in suspensions, comfort, hydraulic brakes, steel bodies, power, etc.?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts