Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn’t the first I’ve seen of people complaining that rust has raised its ugly head on new Chally’s. This guy has a Red Eye so we know it’s not old. Are the parts installed already rusted???
View: https://youtu.be/-GWG1-t10rI

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Cars are built and shipped in Canada, southern Ontario uses a lot of road salt. This is inevitable. As stated above this is simply surface rust to exposed machine finish surfaces.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
My Challenger is now 9 years old. Always been outside (often under a cover though). I don't crawl under it but it still is in top condition. Now, granted these last nine years it has been in California. But these cars are solid.
<sarcasm>It's an old E-class after all.</sarcasm>

·
Registered
833 Posts
They should Zinc plate any parts like that so it doesn't happen so fast and all Road
Salt should be outlawed everywhere in the world

Reactions: BEEAH

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
They should Zinc plate any parts like that so it doesn't happen so fast and all Road
Salt should be outlawed everywhere in the world
How much do you want to pay for a car? These are not Art Objects, they are transportation, they will easily last 10 years or more. If you want more protection have it Z- barted, though plugging the drains often does more harm than good. Nothing works better than Salt to keep roads safe.

·
Super Moderator
37,736 Posts
You can save a little money on each car using these bare metal parts. But some people care about this and it paints a bad image on what isn't an inexpensive car.

Reactions: Manic59 and jam1

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'd be willing to bet this specific car rode in the bottom of a transport carrier right after the salt truck dropped it. I've owned my charger for 11 years now, most of that in southern Ontario. It didnt go out that often in snow but it's not terrible. exposed surfaces will corrode though

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You can save a little money on each car using these bare metal parts. But some people care about this and it paints a bad image on what isn't an inexpensive car.
Most Challengers are 3.6 automatics and are competively priced, plating every part of the undercarriage would put the car into a higher price point. Higher price would reduce sales volume raising cost even higher, all for a beniffit only a small percentage of buyers would even notice. Maybe the big money Hellcats and such could all be painted undercarriage, for the money they get for these toys it should be possible.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Having just replaced the shocks on all 4 corners of my '06 300 with 220,000 miles I can tell you that is not normal. I don't have any of that surface rust anywhere on my suspension components so I think he has a valid point.
Either those parts were left out somewhere for a long period..which I find hard to believe, or QC requirements for the supplier or FCA Brampton have dropped. Certainly someone along the line should be pointing this out and not installing them.

PS; That is one beautiful Chally in that blue!!! I'd be pissed too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Most Challengers are 3.6 automatics and are competively priced, plating every part of the undercarriage would put the car into a higher price point. Higher price would reduce sales volume raising cost even higher, all for a beniffit only a small percentage of buyers would even notice. Maybe the big money Hellcats and such could all be painted undercarriage, for the money they get for these toys it should be possible.
I'd like to see the actual sales numbers on that... I've only ever seen a handful of V-6 Challengers on the road, but I see the V-8 models all the time.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Having just replaced the shocks on all 4 corners of my '06 300 with 220,000 miles I can tell you that is not normal. I don't have any of that surface rust anywhere on my suspension components so I think he has a valid point.
Either those parts were left out somewhere for a long period..which I find hard to believe, or QC requirements for the supplier or FCA Brampton have dropped. Certainly someone along the line should be pointing this out and not installing them.

DO you have salt spray on the underside of you car? Because his sure as hell does. Also he's in a way newer car, not one that had just came out so things change over 13 years

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts

I remember looking at a brand new Challenger on a ramp at a dealer here in California five years ago and there was quite a bit of surface rust visible....

Reactions: James A

·
Jeepaholic
5,873 Posts
Crawling under my Liberty from time to time, there is definitely a lot of rust...on everything. However, it is 16 1/2 years old with 170k and has seen far more abuse than a whole herd of Challengers. She’s still holding together...
(In my Han Solo voice: Hear me, baby, hold together)

I do recall going to a car show in Syracuse, and they had a Subaru Outback propped up on one side with mirrors underneath so you could see the suspension. And in a few different spots you could see what appeared to be rust spots. My brother and I had a laugh about it. We didn’t know how common that was, but we figured you probably wouldn’t want to showcase it to the general public.

·
Registered
667 Posts
For an upper echelon car such as a Red Eye, it should ONLY receive the BEST parts and parts that look like new regardless of location. This is of course my opinion, but I'm a car nut and DO car about rust no matter where it is.
Also, I agree 100% there needs to be solutions to save lives other than salt and brime on the roads.
Sorry if I come across stringent but I'm picky and car about my investments.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
So you really only have a few options then. All include having the price increase a huge amount. They would need to only build during the simmer/spring, weeks after the salt has stopped being put down, new factory where no salt is put down, or different parts that don't rust. As you can see there's no cheap way around this "issue." You have to remember at the end of the day it's just a normal car with a huge engine put into it. Even the mustang and camaro have surface rust, hell the corvette which comes out of KY has surface rust

·
Jeepaholic
5,873 Posts
For an upper echelon car such as a Red Eye, it should ONLY receive the BEST parts and parts that look like new regardless of location. This is of course my opinion, but I'm a car nut and DO car about rust no matter where it is.
Also, I agree 100% there needs to be solutions to save lives other than salt and brime on the roads.
Sorry if I come across stringent but I'm picky and car about my investments.
There are some alternatives to salt and brine, but there’s always a cost to benefit ratio, and all methods have environmental impacts to one degree or another.

8 innovative, environmentally safe alternatives to rock salt for deicing roads (at https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/rock-salt-is-not-the-default-innovative-alternatives-for-melting-snow-and-ice/70003137 )

Reactions: jam1 and Tony K

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
How much time have you people spent under cars? OEM’s only recently started painting the frames, let alone all the suspension pieces. Surface rust means nothing, please note it’s the steel quality that counts, the only frames I’ve ever seen rusted out were on Toyota pickup trucks and Subaru front cross members.
My 1992 Daytona:
crossmembersep2007-0001s.jpg

crossmembersep2007-0002s.jpg

crossmembersep2007-0003s.jpg

·
Super Moderator
32,265 Posts
And my 92 Dakota had a 30 inch section of frame rail rusted so badly that when I jacked it with a hydraulic jack, the frame rail collapsed without the truck elevating. Had to have it cut out and a new section fabbed.
Chrysler DEFINITELY has had issues with frame rust. My 93 Daytona also had a fully rotted rear crossmember. In fact, the inner and outer body yielded so that the gas cap door would not open fully, was misaligned. That was the end of it.

Reactions: Manic59
1 - 20 of 92 Posts