Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
For an upper echelon car such as a Red Eye, it should ONLY receive the BEST parts and parts that look like new regardless of location. This is of course my opinion, but I'm a car nut and DO car about rust no matter where it is.
Also, I agree 100% there needs to be solutions to save lives other than salt and brime on the roads.
Sorry if I come across stringent but I'm picky and car about my investments.
Part in red: how?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Now that I think about it, Jeep Wranglers are know to have bad frames, the aftermarket makes repair kits because the problem is so common. It goes to show that painting the frames is not the answer, I believe the new Wranglers have Galvinized frames, but that comes with it’s own set of problems. I restored a 1952 Ford pickup truck the frames were never painted and there was no rust through at all. Must be better quality steel in the olden days.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I watched this video the other night and it had me absolutely furious. Not because of the rust on the car but because of the jacka$$ posting the video. First of all, this is the same idiot that posted all over YouTube before about his green Hellcat Challenger and how the wheel alignment was always "off" no matter what the dealer did to try and adjust it. He went on and on about how that car was a lemon and how he wanted FCA to buy the car back. So he finally gets rid of that car and what's the dope do, he goes out and orders another Challenger. After he was allegedly SO angry about the quality of the first one he goes out and buys another. And so here we are again, this dope wanting nothing more than his 5 minutes of social media fame. The surface rust on the suspension parts of this car is 100% normal. These are forged and cast steel parts and of course they don't receive a 100% perfect coat of paint. The unpainted sections will of course get surface rust on them quickly. Couple that with the fact that this car was made and shipped out of southern Ontario Canada during the winter months and was most definitely exposed to road salt, these unpainted parts will get rust on them almost within minutes of exposure. This does not affect their performance or safety at all. This is nothing different or new at all. All manufacturers that make mass produced assembly line cars (and yes Challenger Hellcats are just that) do this the same way. This is how we can go out and buy a 700 hp car for $65,000. If you want a hand built perfect all aluminum performance car that you won't see any rust on anywhere, go buy a $400,000 Lamborghini. And don't even start with this lowering the value of the car. No way. A dealer could care less about some surface rust on the suspension A arms when you are trading in the car. And not even from a "down the road collectability" point either. I have a vintage 69 Charger and go to many of the major Mopar shows in the Northeast. Collectors and restorers go out of their way to replicate surface corrosion on unpainted parts from the factory in OEM gold judged classes at car shows. As a matter of fact, a restored car where the undercarriage is all perfect glossy paint is considered to be over restored and incorrect. Nothing new here, it's been this way since day one. Sell the damn car and go buy something else. And please everyone quit giving this dope the attention that he's looking for. That's all he wants with his YouTube posts.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,196 Posts
Now that I think about it, Jeep Wranglers are know to have bad frames, the aftermarket makes repair kits because the problem is so common. It goes to show that painting the frames is not the answer, I believe the new Wranglers have Galvinized frames, but that comes with it’s own set of problems. I restored a 1952 Ford pickup truck the frames were never painted and there was no rust through at all. Must be better quality steel in the olden days.
n=1

Not all Wranglers or CJs have bad frames... and maybe the problem is so common because people use them pretty harshly and put stresses on the frames they weren't meant to have (e.g. V8 engine swaps into CJs!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
How much time have you people spent under cars? OEM’s only recently started painting the frames, let alone all the suspension pieces. Surface rust means nothing, please note it’s the steel quality that counts, the only frames I’ve ever seen rusted out were on Toyota pickup trucks and Subaru front cross members.
I think you might have your eyes closed in regards to Compass/Patriot/Caliber/Pacifica cross members.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
DO you have salt spray on the underside of you car? Because his sure as hell does. Also he's in a way newer car, not one that had just came out so things change over 13 years
No salt spray...only thing they have to put down on roads here in Atlanta IF needed is sand.
I've replaced the upper control arms..the factory replacements sure don't look like that..and I would never accept them if they did.

So as you point out, the salt must be the cause.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Every vehicle I’ve bought new looked like that after the first winter of salt. It’s depressing, but never caused me any problems getting 10 years out of them. It’s the life of living in the salt belt, unfortunately. Definately not a big deal and not just on a FCA vehicle. Like was posted by another member, how much do you want to pay for a vehicle? They could paint and coat all those bare parts and then people would complain how much it costs. Most people never even see under their car and most wouldn’t know what they were looking at anyhow.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Nothing to worry about ir, Chevrolet AND Ford are not happy about the Challenger , and they are trying to harm the image..

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Nothing to worry about ir, Chevrolet AND Ford are not happy about the Challenger , and they are trying to harm the image..
Don't start that bull poopies here, not every oem is out to get other oems 24/7. Beside a short video like this isn't gonna sway anyone and we all know damn well ford and chevy would have wen't to a different source if they were "behind" something like this.
This is just a normal everyday guy looking for his own personal payday again

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
so many arm chair material scientists here.... good thing Bob doesn't post anymore.
He used to say that trying to address the incorrect or wild comments was like trying to herd cats. It's probably better for his health to not have to deal with this.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Most Challengers are 3.6 automatics and are competively priced, plating every part of the undercarriage would put the car into a higher price point. Higher price would reduce sales volume raising cost even higher, all for a beniffit only a small percentage of buyers would even notice. Maybe the big money Hellcats and such could all be painted undercarriage, for the money they get for these toys it should be possible.
Let's do this: For every 10 Thousand Dollars over the MSRP the dealer gets on these vehicles, they would have to bear the cost of ensuring that the condition of such vehicles are consistent with the price (overage).
I'd like to see the actual sales numbers on that... I've only ever seen a handful of V-6 Challengers on the road, but I see the V-8 models all the time.
Just like the Chargers do, those 6cyl Challengers are running around posing as R/T's and Scat Packs...
Part in red: how?
Here's the formula: Dealer Overage Money = the resources to ensure the customer gets what he paid for.

so many arm chair material scientists here.... good thing Bob doesn't post anymore.
Not so much science here as an obligation for a manufacturer to ensure control over how their product is perceived based on the money paid (the thousands of dollars over MSRP part.....)

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I think one question is - do other similar vehicles in the same price range also have this situation? I don't know one way or the other, but if it's not that uncommon in most vehicles in similar climates, I think it's a non-issue. If other manufacturers have a way to get around it at similar prices, then it's more significant.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I think one question is - do other similar vehicles in the same price range also have this situation? I don't know one way or the other, but if it's not that uncommon in most vehicles in similar climates, I think it's a non-issue. If other manufacturers have a way to get around it at similar prices, then it's more significant.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Let's do this: For every 10 Thousand Dollars over the MSRP the dealer gets on these vehicles, they would have to bear the cost of ensuring that the condition of such vehicles are consistent with the price (overage).

Just like the Chargers do, those 6cyl Challengers are running around posing as R/T's and Scat Packs...

Here's the formula: Dealer Overage Money = the resources to ensure the customer gets what he paid for.

Not so much science here as an obligation for a manufacturer to ensure control over how their product is perceived based on the money paid (the thousands of dollars over MSRP part.....)
Again…how?

Are you honestly suggesting that a dealer replace factory secured joints on a brand new vehicle?

·
Registered
888 Posts
For an upper echelon car such as a Red Eye, it should ONLY receive the BEST parts and parts that look like new regardless of location. This is of course my opinion, but I'm a car nut and DO car about rust no matter where it is.
Also, I agree 100% there needs to be solutions to save lives other than salt and brime on the roads.
Sorry if I come across stringent but I'm picky and car about my investments.
It would be nice for the paranoid to have the option to buy a car with underbody components coated to prevent these complaints, no matter how spurious. I suspect the reason this is not an option is because there is no money to be made doing it. It would drive up the cost and it is an option too few people would pay extra for to essentially solve a non-problem.
My current ride has 276,000+ miles on it and the surface rust on underbody parts hasn't harmed anything.
This video is somewhat comical. If you listen to the subject critically or analytically, he's not presenting any evidence to support his claim that a) this is not merely surface rust and that b) the rust is somehow a problem. It's essentially an emotive rant from a disgruntled and uninformed person with, thankfully, more money than brains.
"I'm not buying it."
Actually - you already did so . . .

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I doubt that video has anything to do with GM or Fords dislike of the Challenger. They’ve got a ton more things to worry about than that.
Like was already posted, just some jackass looking for his 5 minutes of fame. The point that he bought another Challenger already invalidates his claims to me. How dumb could you be? Don’t give him any views because he’s just cashing in.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
The only way most people are going to notice that parts on the underside of their vehicle are rusted is if their vehicle is suddenly upside down. And if that’s the case, a little bit of rust is the least of their concerns at that moment.

As for the rust...well...get yourself a can of top-shelf Rust-Oleum and spray until your heart’s content. Boom, problem solved! :p

Don’t give him any views because he’s just cashing in.
Yep, YouTube allows you to monetize your videos based on a combination of the number of subscribers and views you have. People like him make money because they post sensationalist BS that attracts viewers. But outrageous BS gets you noticed unfortunately....there’s a reason why the trashy mags are still found in the checkout line in the grocery store. Deprive him of your “clicks” and he eventually goes away.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts