Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The only way most people are going to notice that parts on the underside of their vehicle are rusted is if their vehicle is suddenly upside down. And if that’s the case, a little bit of rust is the least of their concerns at that moment.

As for the rust...well...get yourself a can of top-shelf Rust-Oleum and spray until your heart’s content. Boom, problem solved! :p

Yep, YouTube allows you to monetize your videos based on a combination of the number of subscribers and views you have. People like him make money because they post sensationalist BS that attracts viewers. But outrageous BS gets you noticed unfortunately....there’s a reason why the trashy mags are still found in the checkout line in the grocery store. Deprive him of your “clicks” and he eventually goes away.
Which is why I refuse to watch the video in the link

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The only thing to learn from this garbage is its easy to troll fans of a company that is constantly near the bottom of quality rankings.

Nothing else to see here. Go inspect your own vehicle if you’re worried about rust.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just inspected my 2007 PT Cruiser with 122,000 miles and 2017 Renegade with 7,000 miles. No signs of rust. My town in Central Texas once coated some roadways with magnesium chloride. I washed the Cruiser immediately after at Genie Car Wash. Dallas-Fort Worth sometimes uses brine on roadways. I steer clear.

·
Jeepaholic
5,872 Posts
Which is why I refuse to watch the video in the link
I haven't watched it either. I don't want to feel cheated for giving those minutes of my life away so cheaply. lol

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
The only way most people are going to notice that parts on the underside of their vehicle are rusted is if their vehicle is suddenly upside down. And if that’s the case, a little bit of rust is the least of their concerns at that moment.

As for the rust...well...get yourself a can of top-shelf Rust-Oleum and spray until your heart’s content. Boom, problem solved! :p

Yep, YouTube allows you to monetize your videos based on a combination of the number of subscribers and views you have. People like him make money because they post sensationalist BS that attracts viewers. But outrageous BS gets you noticed unfortunately....there’s a reason why the trashy mags are still found in the checkout line in the grocery store. Deprive him of your “clicks” and he eventually goes away.
Agree100%! Not watching the video either. I wish people would stop posting this sh*t.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I’ve owned two modern Challengers, so far, and I know how to spot the fakers. Usually the giveaway is the stock 17 inch wheels. (The early Modern Challengers only had one exhaust tip too)

Even if they change everything visually on the car including the wheels and tires, I’ve never heard a V-6 exhaust that sounded like a 5.7 or bigger V-8.

So as I said, I’ve seen very few V-6 Challengers out driving around. I see them at the dealership, but very rarely on the road. Maybe it’s a geographical thing, I’m in the Willamette Valley in Oregon...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Again…how?

Are you honestly suggesting that a dealer replace factory secured joints on a brand new vehicle?
No. Where did you get such specifics? At the very least some scotchbrite followed up with grease on the surface rusted parts.

But you raise an important point for discussion. Let's say one of the dealer employees took a vehicle for a ride and hit a curb doing some damage that an alignment couldn't take care of. Guess they'd then have to "replace factory secured joints on a brand new vehicle", huh? Maybe they wouldn't go this far letting the new owner be responsible for this after the point of sale but hopefully you get the point. I've been the recipient of such practice on a warranty claim of a different nature (paint).

I know that it's been discussed that the vehicle of issue was in a specific location on the transporter under specific conditions but has the obvious been overlooked? Wouldn't any dealer rep be tempted to drive a new Redeye regardless of the road conditions? If the joyride resulted in deterioration of the condition - even cosmetic and especially in light of the fact that these are now the mfg's halo cars, the agent responsible should be held accountable. Given that the margins on such cars is so way over the top should only make mitigation of their transgressions more feasible.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I’ve owned two modern Challengers, so far, and I know how to spot the fakers. Usually the giveaway is the stock 17 inch wheels. (The early Modern Challengers only had one exhaust tip too)

Even if they change everything visually on the car including the wheels and tires, I’ve never heard a V-6 exhaust that sounded like a 5.7 or bigger V-8.

So as I said, I’ve seen very few V-6 Challengers out driving around. I see them at the dealership, but very rarely on the road. Maybe it’s a geographical thing, I’m in the Willamette Valley in Oregon...
I can spot the V6 fakers in my area also. It’s the people who use their Challenger in the winter here.

·
Administrator
35,986 Posts
FWIW, I vaguely recall that the Challenger does have more V8 than V6 sales. Not by a large margin, but it's there. I was surprised. It's not the 1960s/1970s any more, when the slant six and 318 were king, and the rest of the engines were sold to increasingly small numbers of people. Charger and 300 remain, as I vaguely recall, mostly V6. Don't know Camaro or Mustang stats.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My goal was to trade in my 06 charger on my 392 and buy a set of rims and snows. A friend of mine did so for his Daytona and drove it year round. (He leased though). After the dealers paltry offer, I kept the 06 and my winter car, and the 5.7 drives just fine. But the salt is showing its effect after 13 years. Probably the better choice

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
There is a guy at work with a 392 Challenger that drives his car all winter. When winter comes he has some steel rims and snow tires that puts on.
Not saying it can’t be done. I’ve seen a corvette out in the snow and salt. Some people have money to burn and less brains. To see a Challenger/Camaro/Mustang, of any value out in the snow, in my area, is a rarity, very rare. I see a ton more V6 models out all year however. As for leases, yes it’s possible. They don’t intend on keeping the car and could care less about it. I can’t afford a 392 anything, year after year and if I could afford one, I certainly wouldn’t be interested in buying it if I had to drive it all winter. The AWD would be the only option and I haven’t seen one of those on the road yet.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Not saying it can’t be done. I’ve seen a corvette out in the snow and salt. Some people have money to burn and less brains. To see a Challenger/Camaro/Mustang, of any value out in the snow, in my area, is a rarity, very rare. I see a ton more V6 models out all year however. As for leases, yes it’s possible. They don’t intend on keeping the car and could care less about it. I can’t afford a 392 anything, year after year and if I could afford one, I certainly wouldn’t be interested in buying it if I had to drive it all winter. The AWD would be the only option and I haven’t seen one of those on the road yet.
He is the rarity, driving that 392 year round. Most other nice cars that I see at work quickly disappear as winter approaches and are replaced by rusty trucks.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
FWIW, I vaguely recall that the Challenger does have more V8 than V6 sales. Not by a large margin, but it's there. I was surprised. It's not the 1960s/1970s any more, when the slant six and 318 were king, and the rest of the engines were sold to increasingly small numbers of people. Charger and 300 remain, as I vaguely recall, mostly V6. Don't know Camaro or Mustang stats.
Here in Michigan the V6 outsells the V8 by a large margin. FCA even shows the whole Dodge 4Wd lineup racing around in the snow in their commercials. I recently leased my wife a Compass and spent sometime BSing with the salesman, he claimed at his dealer the 6 outsells the 8 by 3 to one. Maybe it,s different in other places but around here that’s the way it is. Maybe if they offered the 4Wd with the 8 it would be different. Myself, I would not buy a slow Challenger but I would go with a 4Wd V8 if they offered it.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
GOOD GOD there is some surface oxidation.... you don't want a surface oxidized part then your going to have to polish and coat it. There is nothing wrong with those components..... Why would you spend money for appearance on something that is never seen. The entire thing in ridiculous …… defending this nonsense show a such a profound lack of ………………… oh never mind carry on.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts