Allpar Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger ScatPack; 2012 Fiat 500 Sport; 1983 Dodge Ramcharger; 1948 Dodge Pickup (Hot Rod)
116 Posts
Who would buy a mass-produced car and complain when it doesn't look like a 100 point show car underneath? If you want a show car then build a show car.
That car doesn't have a "rust problem".

·
Registered
349 Posts
BS. It really doesn't matter if you have cheap rotors or top of the line with regards to surface rust after a rain. You'll still get rust spots after rain or in very humid conditions.
Yes but with good parts it's minimal vs cheapies that look like they've been sitting outside 5 years after a humid day.

·
Super Moderator
32,264 Posts
Put your car on the lift and see what the underside looks like before judging... ;)

I have been stunned at the LACK of rust on any car I've had made after 1980.
Dave, you know my battles. Lost a 92 and a 93 Daytona to massive chassis and rocker rust. 92 Dakota frame has rotted and been welded 4x. Next time will be fatal. It's more about exposure than protection.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
381 Posts
Living in NY, any high-mileage car older then 1996 without much rust is an amazing discovery.
Then I saw the Compass/Patriot/Caliber sub-frames.
Complain about massive levels of rust after 30 years. Until you've seen it daily for around 2 years straight to cars less then a decade old.
With more holes.
I'm glad I rust-proofed my MK 😂

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Somehow my 1985 Voyager made it through the PA/NJ/NY winters from 1985-1996 without any rust before it moved to FL. And despite beach driving in Volusia County, still exists in 2021 with no rust save for a little surface rust along drivers rear wheel well where it seems like all those first gen minis would rust.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Living in NY, any high-mileage car older then 1996 without much rust is an amazing discovery.
Then I saw the Compass/Patriot/Caliber sub-frames.
Complain about massive levels of rust after 30 years. Until you've seen it daily for around 2 years straight to cars less then a decade old.
With more holes.
I'm glad I rust-proofed my MK 😂
After 11 years, this is what the subframe looked like on my Caliber:

Yes they extended the warranty on this part to 10 years, but as you can tell my dealer thought it was fine :rolleyes:

Otherwise, the underside of it was pretty decent especially considering it went through 11 winters in southern Ontario where they love salt/brine and I never had it rustproofed. There was some rust starting in the top of the right rear wheel well, which I suspect was because of the poor build quality around the liftgate hinges, as there was a weld flaw in there, and water would get in. That rust wasn't visible unless you put your head into the wheel well thankfully.

Otherwise, this is how it looked the day I traded it for my Cherokee, after having it for more than 11 years:

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
381 Posts
After 11 years, this is what the subframe looked like on my Caliber:

Yes they extended the warranty on this part to 10 years, but as you can tell my dealer thought it was fine :rolleyes:

Otherwise, the underside of it was pretty decent especially considering it went through 11 winters in southern Ontario where they love salt/brine and I never had it rustproofed. There was some rust starting in the top of the right rear wheel well, which I suspect was because of the poor build quality around the liftgate hinges, as there was a weld flaw in there, and water would get in. That rust wasn't visible unless you put your head into the wheel well thankfully.

Otherwise, this is how it looked the day I traded it for my Cherokee, after having it for more than 11 years:

After 10 years? That's actually impressive.
When I first started working at my local dealer after college a few years ago, I saw 5 year old cars with the front LCA's hanging on by a rusty thread.
That, or cars that were literally one more bump, at speed, from breaking the subframes into a million pieces while driving.
Cheap metal is cheap metal!

·
Jeepaholic
5,873 Posts
I lost my Liberty to rust/corrosion of the frame. The mechanic said it was one of the worst cases he had seen, and it would’ve required a major restoration...which just wasn’t worth the money. Still, 18 years and 180k miles was a good run. The body was still in decent shape, just a few rust spots and some bubbles. It was underneath that was the killer.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My 1999 300M is starting to get more severe rust this winter. I expect 2-3 more before it's unsafe in my eyes (likely will still be legal, just not something I will put my kids in). I am thinking I might give it a good wash this spring, POR15 it, and then coat that with $1/can economy paint from Lowes or Walmart.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts