Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying Fiat Freemont V6 AWD. Can anybody tell me sth about reliability of this car or reliability of 2011-2012 Dodge Journey SXT? I am expecting to use it for 3-4 years and 60k miles. pls help and thanks in advance.
Here in Europe it's quite new product so not much feedback about it.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If it has the Pentastar engine then it's a great engine! They're putting that into almost everything now, the minivans (sold as the Lancia Voyager in Europe), the Wrangler, the Grand Cherokee, the 200, the Avenger, the 300 (Lancia Thema), the Charger, the Challenger, the RAM, the Durango, basically everything that it would fit into.

There was one issue with some cylinder head problems on the Pentastar, but it has been resolved here. My guess is that if the particular vehicle that you're looking at were afflicted, it would be covered under recall.

Oh, for your further knowledge, the Journey of which the Freemont is derived, is based on the same architecture as the 200 and Avenger.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking about new one - 2013 model.
I am courious how good is interior quality, I hate sounds of any creaks, noises etc.
I've also heard about break problems (mostly back) and some electronic (electronic key, alarms)
Any info about this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interior is nice, haven't had any customers with squeak/rattle complaints. The odd one but you get the odd fuss out there.
Go with the V6 option, I know it will cost you more at the pump and for taxes based on fuel usage and insurance (I am from England so I understand its hard to run a 3.0 +). The 2.4 engine is way too underpowered for this vehicle and you will find yourself upset for the remainder of the payments!
Yeah there are some electrical issues but that was with the 2011 model. Most of the issues are fixed with software updates or resets. Maybe the odd radio.
Brakes haven't seen many issues with the 2011/12. the 09/10 had a real issue due to the design of the brakes, found if the customer serviced the brakes every 6 months and when we used a high quality grease the issues were fixed.
Where abouts are you Marek?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im pretty happy with our late '12 SXT Journey here in Aus. The car is still new car quiet after just over 18,000k's. Interior is fabulous. Better than some of the Jap stuff IMO (Im looking at you subaru now theyve been Toyotafied - now I know where Dodge got rid of all the leftover 1st year Caliber interior parts - off to Subaru for use in the XV)

The only interior quibles Ive got realte to the third row access. The handles for the flip/slide function on the second row feel a bit flimsy.

Our spec cars have the 8,4 uconnect and it is fantastic and very intuitive. Redundant buttons under help too. The interior lighting is first class with all buttons backlit, and plenty of curtesy lighting. There is one piece of headlining trim at the tailgate that is slightly misaligned and loose - but im really being picky. Ours is Pentastar V6 powered and using around 11L/ hundred ks in mainly outer urban driving.

They are launching the Freemont here next week in Australia, with 2.4, diesel and Pentastar. Supposedly to sell along with the Journey but its impossible to know as it depends on who you ask if Dodge is staying our going. Theyve just changed the specs on the Journeys here last month, and made the 7 seats optonal (they were standard)

·
Registered
42 Posts
If youre buying new then the brakes shouldnt be an issue. Our 2012 is a late build and has the ginormous minivan rotors and calipers. The 17 inch wheels barely clear withe balance weights around 3mm off the caliper. I compared the old to new on the lot when I bought ours as they had an early build demo there. It is quite obvious. Up to around 10 thou k's there were still machining marks visible on the rotors. These didnt disapear until I towed a big trailer on vacation (trailer was probably at the unbraked towing limit). The brakes were still adequate even then when fully loded with the family and a weeks worth of camping gear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks friends. I helped me a lot. My choice will be between Freemont V6 and 2013 Forester XT, so I am looking for any info which will help me make the best choice. Currently they are going head-to-head. Forester has bigger price, better performance, but also better resale value. Fiat is generally cheaper and bigger - which is for me as important as performance. Economy is the same (poor). So, quality and equipment will be "decision makers".

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I had a 2011, and I have to admit that it was fairly problematic. The brakes in particular were an issue and I was several hundred dollars into brake repair before 30K kms. It almost seems as if the design makes it prone to the calipers sticking on, which prematurely wears both the pads and rotors. I even had one brake "lock" on once, creating a squealing noise. If I got one, I would recommend inspecting and possibly lubricating the caliber slides with every tire rotation, just to be sure.

The vehicle had other issues too, but I think those were fairly uncommon for the model.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Not sure about there, but Subaru parts are quite expensive here in Canada.

The only complaint I have about my Journey is that it isn't a mini-van replacement. No "quality" related issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts